JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Guns At Wal-Mart

While waiting to have my prescription filled for my elbow that was hurt last week, I was wasting time in Walmart. When I went to the sports department I was shocked to see how real looking the bb/pellet guns were. They had one that looked like a .357 gun. I thought they had to have an orange safety on the barrel, I guess not. 

I don't own a gun, never will. I am not here to debate gun control or anything similar.

This is not to open any debate, cuz I know this can be a very emotionally driven subject---

Having said that, I myself, personally, really enjoy the shooting sports and do own a number of air rifles...they bring me a certain degree of comfort in that you have to be very relaxed and calm in order to shoot targets with any degree of accuracy...and target shooting is what I enjoy...

I can no longer walk much, I am not physically able to get around like I used to when younger and being able to sit and shoot my pellet guns at sticks and rocks and twigs is a very calming pastime....

I enjoy reading and posting on one air gun site, it is a discussion board much like this one. It doesnt make much sense to me or to many of the members of that site but it is as you say, there are more and more air rifles that are being made that are very realistic looking and the close approximation, visually, to a 'real' fire arm is troubling...

A lot of folks think that there will be a fatal incident because of mistaken identity and this is a cause for concern...the problem is many fold...people want realism, sellers want sales, grown-ups dont want plastic 'toy' looking gear, and it is a money driven issue...I myself dont like the look of plastic or orange parts on my gear, it just looks bad, to me...I wish there were easy answers but, there are not....

As hobbies go, its not a bad one...I have low-end gear, it keeps me entertained and it doesnt cost much to play...when government says to turm em all in, I wont lose much and wont care at all...fun while it lasted but there are bigger fish to fry.

Thanks for starting this topic....if anyone wishes to discuss it in more detail, or wants to join me in a relaxing pastime, feel free to speak up...

A good friend of mine lives in West Virginia where EVERYONE owns a gun. They all hunt for deer and meat for the table. There are so many sportsmen there that this conversation happened at a Gas Station. My friend was gassing up her car when a guy in a pickup pulled in. The owner came outside because he recognized the driver. The customer yelled out, "Hey! How many rounds of 'such and such' do you have?" The owner yelled back, "About a hundred and fifty." "DANG!" replied the customer. "That means I'll have to also go to 'so and so's' to get more!"

My girlfriend,, laughing out loud interjected, "Ya'll know that if someone from Florida, where I just left, pulled up for gas and you were having this conversation, they'd have pulled back outta here without even gassing up!"   :o  :rolleyes:

Having a gun is a personal decision.

Back in 1996 Walmart banned Sheryl Crow's self-title album because she criticized their gun policy.

The offending lyrics come from "Love is a Good Thing," co-written by Crow and Tad Wadhams: "Watch out sister/Watch out brother/Watch our children as they kill each other/with a gun they bought at the Wal-Mart discount stores."

A good friend of mine lives in West Virginia where EVERYONE owns a gun. ... My girlfriend,, laughing out loud interjected, "Ya'll know that if someone from Florida, where I just left, pulled up for gas and you were having this conversation, they'd have pulled back outta here without even gassing up!"...

This may come as a surprise to some, but people in Florida have guns the same as in West Virginia ... hunting and paint-ball are big here ... perhaps not so much in South Florida, but up here in the woods ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Yes, John... in the outback areas of the wilder side of Florida that definitely might be the case. I live 'in town' in an old bungalow style house built in the 1920s. I might see people with guns but they are for drive-bys and hurting people not animals.  ;)  My friend was also from Lakeland. I am sandwiched between Orlando and Tampa. I do know even some brothers in Plant City who hunt and that is just one town over from here. Our main attraction is alligators and big eared mice!  :lol:

I am sandwiched between Orlando and Tampa. I do know even some brothers in Plant City who hunt and that is just one town over from here. :lol:

A Few years ago while our convention center was being renovated we had to drive up to Plant City for our assemblies. That assembly hall is beautiful. Also the surroundings with the big trees. I loved going there except for the long drive/hotel stay.