JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Britian Does Not Look British Anymore

I was watching news and they were saying that people are coming back from Britian and saying it does not look British any more. Britian is getting muticultural and Muslims are on the increase, Now they don't what think of how Britain should be.

Well, let go back a couple hundred years ago, USA were full of Indians and white men came over from Europe and took over their land. So, I wonder if Native Americans were thinking the same way? Can we imagine the Native Americans were saying: "America does not look America anymore" because the white men were taking over their land.?

:indian:

The spirit of the world is funny that way.  When I'm doing something that impacts you, it's called "progress", but when the same thing(s) start to occur to me, then there's a problem.

It's going to be wonderful to live in an environment where there is no selfishness and everyone can enjoy Jehovah's creation without concern of whether or not someone else has more or may potentially come and take "my" property/stuff.

This is interesting. As a native person, it is hard not to think too much about it. We live on a reservation, and it is sort of sad, in many ways. I suppose the big benefit is, we do, at this time, get free health care. And some kind of break when we get our car tags. They also promised the Indians housing. Health care and housing. But you have to qualify financially for that one. We don't. Yet.

I think the only major thing I sort of feel is I sort of think if you have a tribal ID, you should be allowed in all the parks in this country. Free. You know who used to own that land.

People think we are rich, have, "Indian money". There are settlements that come down once in a while, but, very few of us get that per capita check. Very few. Not us, for sure.

The history is hurtful. When my great grand mother was alive, it was legal to kill Indians. So those of us left, doing pretty good. But all the native causes, I keep my mouth shut. I know who will fix it. Plus, all of us know it is not fixable.

But, have you any idea how heart warming it is to see the attention Jehovah has given the native people? One of the pictures in our hall is the native young lady, after being resurrected. It is in the back of one of our books for our young ones. We have our brochure, and some have literature in their language.

Our language is pretty well dead, I have relation that are immersed in Indian culture. Language, basket making, religion. Which by the way, lots of ceremonies, but it was basically respect for the earth.

Isn't it nice to be able to sit back, and know it will all be okay one day?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Britain has been multicultural for decades, if not longer.  It's what makes it a very interesting place to be.  Hundreds of languages spoken in the cities, especially London.  There is a vibrant foreign language field here.

It's never been a place consisting solely of thatched cottages and red phone boxes.

Sorry to smash the stereotype  :)

Miss Bea, thank you so much for your insight.  I find it interesting that Native Americans refer to themselves as "Indians".  I thought Christopher Columbus insisted on calling Native Americans "Indians" because he did not want to admit he was lost.  Is there anything to that?  Did the Native American community adopt the label "Indians" because it became so popular with the general public?  Just wondering...

My grandfather was Native American, but no one really talks about it.  I know nothing about his parents or family.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Agape'

I have Native American in me too, but not much. And I have done alot of research of my Native American background and come to fine out that one time that my relatives in the past didn't mention that they were indians. If so, they would be dead or chase out of their land. Yet, they were very prominent in their hometown.

A matter of fact, yesterday I recieved a portrait of my GGG grandmother or suppose to be her.. This must be done in the 1840's and she looks like an indian. She half indian and half german. Boy, I can't hardly wait to see them in the New World. There is alot to talk about.

:indian: .

The same issues exist around the world amongst the indigenous peoples in many lands. Like New Zealand where I live the Maori people have grievances they're still trying to resolve nearly 200 years later. I'm part Maori myself, although you wouldn't know it looking at me.

It doesn't do any good getting drawn into the race debates that continually divide us. Although I understand the race relations situation in NZ has made better progress than in some places, but it still becomes an issue from time to time.

Thankfully, the bible helps us to appreciate we are all one big family from God's point of view. If we can all put our differences aside and learn to live in peace there's actually a great deal we can learn from one another.

IMO: The diversity that exists among us only adds to the richness of the human experience.

Miss Bea, thank you so much for your insight.  I find it interesting that Native Americans refer to themselves as "Indians".  I thought Christopher Columbus insisted on calling Native Americans "Indians" because he did not want to admit he was lost.  Is there anything to that?  Did the Native American community adopt the label "Indians" because it became so popular with the general public?  Just wondering...

My grandfather was Native American, but no one really talks about it.  I know nothing about his parents or family.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Agape'[/quote

One of the things I love most about Jehovah's organization is the fact our race is irrelevant. I was not raised on the reservation, so I sort of have a different thinking pattern. And that is good. I see so many fine, intelligent native people who, that is who they are. That is all that matters to them. Bring back the culture, language, religion. My dear husband is one of them.

I was working with Bro. Michelson, one of our past CO's, here on the reservation, and he said that it was almost like working in a foreign territory.

Sister Lin, so many African Americans are native too. Know why? The slaves, when they escaped knew they were safe with the native people. They had sanctuary with them.

I did one of those genealogy things with National Geographic. You know, the cheek swab thing. Cannot think of the name of it. I have relatives in the North Carolina area.

In reality, we are not native to this country. We came across the Bearing Strait. If you look really close at the Mongolian people, we are close cousins to them. Ah, when it all shakes down..

We are all cousins. Is it 66th? And yes, some may be closer then other. But we are, indeed, cousins.

That's interesting Bea. The Maori people in NZ are thought to have descended from the Mongolians too as far as genetics go.

My Japanese wife says that their history stems back to the Mongolians also. The Mongolians must have had a very adventurous, pioneering spirit.

That's interesting Bea. The Maori people in NZ are thought to have descended from the Mongolians too as far as genetics go.

My Japanese wife says that their history stems back to the Mongolians also. The Mongolians must have had a very adventurous, pioneering spirit.

Native Areicans came from Eastren Asia, Monfolia area, Central Siberia and travel into Alaska in order to get to USA.. My DNA tracked my ancestors into that area.

This is interesting. As a native person, it is hard not to think too much about it. We live on a reservation, and it is sort of sad, in many ways. I suppose the big benefit is, we do, at this time, get free health care. And some kind of break when we get our car tags. They also promised the Indians housing. Health care and housing. But you have to qualify financially for that one. We don't. Yet.

I think the only major thing I sort of feel is I sort of think if you have a tribal ID, you should be allowed in all the parks in this country. Free. You know who used to own that land.

People think we are rich, have, "Indian money". There are settlements that come down once in a while, but, very few of us get that per capita check. Very few. Not us, for sure.

The history is hurtful. When my great grand mother was alive, it was legal to kill Indians. So those of us left, doing pretty good. But all the native causes, I keep my mouth shut. I know who will fix it. Plus, all of us know it is not fixable.

But, have you any idea how heart warming it is to see the attention Jehovah has given the native people? One of the pictures in our hall is the native young lady, after being resurrected. It is in the back of one of our books for our young ones. We have our brochure, and some have literature in their language.

Our language is pretty well dead, I have relation that are immersed in Indian culture. Language, basket making, religion. Which by the way, lots of ceremonies, but it was basically respect for the earth.

Isn't it nice to be able to sit back, and know it will all be okay one day?

Hi, Bea -

I have written to the Society regarding helping out on one of the reservations and am just waiting to hear back from them.  I will be graduating RN school in a year, and I'd like to find a way to combine a hospital position with going somewhere where the need is greater.  So, I have been considering the Indian Health Service.  Do you have anyone in your area who has come in from the outside world to help with the preaching work?  :) 

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Hmmm.our congregation is small. We have three tribes represented in this small area. Most in our congregation have moved here. We are one and a half hour from the coast. Sixty five degrees over there is toasty. Here, well, I have learned when it gets past 92 degrees, I am the one that is toast. So, we have ones that commute over the hill and into town.

Your position as an RN. It would be nice to have you in the IHS system. Most of the ones we get are simply here to pay the Feds for their education. Two years, and they are gone.

It is a difficult thing I have to say. Health care. Constant cut backs. This sequester thing. It is a 8.2 per cent cut back, last I heard.

The hospitals are in the Navaho area, the bigger tribes. We do not have them in this state. We have clinics, and get Contract Health money when we go out of the clinic setting. We are unique in the IHS system. Had to do with the gold rush. When all those decisions were being made. Did not want to admit natives lived in this state.

Well, I have to say this. Been dancing around it. Lots of turn over in these clinics. Lots. I think if I were a RN, I would like a nice non personal job in a hospital. Less drama. But we would love to have you.

This actually happened. a brother and his wife moved in. He was a nurse. Got a job locally. Said he loved it. Real familiar with the RPMS computer program the clinic was using. Just loved his job. As I live and breathe, one day, he was gone. Poof. Gone. Moved out of the area, overnight. The sad thing was I was not too surprised. Still do not know what happened, and as a matter of fact, I am glad I do not know.

So, choose well, dear sister, choose well. I wish you success. Agape....

Edited by Miss Bea