JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegetarian Meal Ideas And Recipes

I don't think I could go vegetarian or vegan even if I wanted to. But after doing lots of research and reading from unbiased sources, we decided to eat vegetarian on weekdays and then meat only on the weekend, maybe also Friday dinner.

This will be a challenge. We don't eat much bread, maybe the Ezekiel bread every now and then.

We use milk only for coffee and the other dairy sparingly.

I won't even start including soy/tofu.

We very rarely eat processed food.

I don't like using protein powders.

I don't make corn and corn products anymore because I'm too afraid of what GMO products will do. Though I discovered organic corn meal, so I guess cornbread will be an option.

Soooo, lol, does anyone have any suggestions for meals and snacks so that I have some more variety?

Look for recipes with lentils or quinoa.  You  can add veggies or diced dried fruit and nuts and spices.  I like to spice my lentils with cinnamon and cumin to make a Moroccan dish.  Quinoa with sliced almonds, green onions, avacado and minced dried apricots and golden raisins, coriander, cumin, and paprika, lemon juice and olive oil makes a wonderful salad.  Portabella mushrooms grilled with a little olive oil can substitute for meat on a burger or in a tortilla.  Even though you are avoiding dairy, Greek yogurt is high in protein and can taste like sour cream or be added to smoothies .  I prefer the Greek Gods Brand, especially the honey.  I eat it in place of ice cream with a little fruit and honey. 

Proverbs 16:3  "Commit to Jehovah whatever you do and your plans will succeed."

pleasure to meet another healthy eater :) ... and the Moroccan dish above sounds tasty  :yes:

a few items I make: avocado, mushrooms, spices, spinach leaves in a wrap... lentil soup, split pea or bean soups

grilled kabobs with potatoes, mushrooms, red & yellow peppers.. or if you're indoors Foreman grill fajitas

of course olive oil & garlic in everything :thumbsup:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Jasmin, if you want to go vegan, you might check out the Engine 2 Diet.  There is a website, but also a book, written by a former Austin firefighter whose father is a physician at The Cleveland Clinic.  Looks very healthy.  You can get the book through the library, but here is a link with a 28 day challenge.  Has recipes and grocery lists.  You might find something there you like.  :)

Also, the US Humane Society sends me an email every Friday with vegetarian dishes.  You might like to sign up for those.  Here is one called Yummy Spicy Rice Noodles.

3 tablespoons peanut butter (crunchy style)
2 tablespoons chili pepper jam or 1⁄4 cup sweet chili sauce
1 1⁄4 cups hot vegetable stock
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
6 tablespoons coconut milk

Noodles and vegetables

3 bundles flat rice noodles (around 14 ounces)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, plus more for the noodles
1 ounce whole baby corn, cut into pieces or 1 cup corn kernels (canned or frozen)
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
3/4 cup green beans, chopped
1 cup broccoli, broken into small florets
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Chopped peanuts and cilantro, to garnish (optional)

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until 1. Put all of the sauce ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together well, so that the heated vegetable stock softens the ingredients. Set the sauce aside while you prepare the vegetables.

2. Cook the rice noodles following the package instructions (but maybe a minute less than suggested), then drain the noodles in a strainer and toss them in a little sesame oil to keep them from sticking together. You want the noodles to be al dente—not too soft—since they will be heated again in the vegetables and sauce at the end.

3. To prepare the vegetables, heat the 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a wok (or large saucepan with deep sides) over medium-high heat. Stir-fry all the vegetables together with the garlic for about 3 minutes, until they start to soften just slightly.

4. Pour the sauce onto the vegetables in the pan and simmer gently for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through (and still have a good bite to them) but are not too soft.

5. Now stir in the cooked rice noodles. Toss together well and heat through.

6. This dish is best served hot and garnished with chopped peanuts and cilantro.

Tip: The key to cooking the noodles is not to overcook them, since they will get reheated when you warm all the ingredients together at the end.

Recipe and photograph used with permission from "Food: Vegetarian Home Cooking" by Mary McCartney.

Get this recipe from a friend? Sign up for your own recipe of the week.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Fried Tofu is yum.

Get the firm one. Cut into pieces.

In a bowl add a splash sweet chilli. Honey & soy& some Ketchup Manasis. A sweet thick soy &

Then marunade & eat with rice &vegies like Buk choy. Baby corn & corriander.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I just had a really good veggie sample at trader joes today. Hothouse cucumber, hard boiled egg(not vegan i know) with sweet chili sauce and rice wine viegar.really good.[/quote

Sounds like a good combination. Was it prepared like a salad?

Does ham count as vegetarian?

Meatless dishes   180g Fried mushrooms 75,-   100g Fried cheese (Eidam cheese, Ermine, Niva cheese - according to your taste) 81,-   125g Fried cheese with ham 84,-   150g Spinach strudel filled with sheep cheese served with herb sauce 84,-

http://www.ugolema.cz/jidelnicek_gb.php

A restaurant my wife and I visited in Czech republic.

A new recipe from the Humane Society. Low in salt, calories, and fat, but high in fibre.   :)

Caribbean Black Beans and Rice  Serves 4  

Nutritional info per serving:

Calories: 381
Fat: 9 g
Fiber: 9 g

Protein: 9 g
Carbs: 70 g
Sodium: 230 mg

Ingredients

2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium papaya (peeled, seeded, and diced into bite sized pieces)
1/2 large mango (peeled, pitted, and diced into bite sized pieces)
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
3 shallots (chopped)
3/4 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 teaspoon agave nectar
2 1/2 teaspoons jerk seasoning
2 cloves garlic (minced)
Dash of liquid smoke
3 tablespoons cilantro (diced)
3 cups cooked brown rice
Hot sauce to taste (optional)

Directions

1. In your faithful cast iron skillet, heat olive oil on a medium heat. Once your oil is warm, add the jerk flavoring and liquid smoke and mix. Then add the remaining ingredients, except cilantro and brown rice.

2. Continue to stir and heat until the red pepper is tender. Ours took about 5 minutes. Be careful not to mash your fruit.

3. You can serve this either over rice or mixed into the rice. Sprinkle a little cilantro and hot sauce over the top of each bowl and don't forget an icy ginger brew on the side.

Recipe from "Betty Goes Vegan" by Dan and Annie Shannon: MeetTheShannons.com.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

• 2 weeks later...

yummy those recipies sound great............I myself am a vegetarian so i have great ideas of vegetarian dishes........Here is one I have in mind.....Its called the Watercress Souffle' Omlette...... Ingredients: 260g watercres,stalks trimmed 60g butter 1 small onion,grated pinch of ground nutmeg 4 eggs,seperated 1/4 cup sour cream 1/4 cup grated cheddar Preperation: Finely chop the watercress.Melt 20g of butter in a pan,then add the watercress,onion and nutmeg and fry gently for 2-3 min,or until the watercress is wilted and tender.Keep warm in the pan.(2) Beat the egg ,yolks and sour cream with some salt and freshly ground pepper until well combined.(3)Using electric beaters,beat the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form.Gently fold into the egg-yolk mixture in 2 batches.(4)Preheat the grill to high.Heat the rest of the butter in a large ovenproof frying pan,then spoon in the egg mixture.When the base has set and the omelette is half cooked,spoon the watercress mixture over one half and sprinkle with the cheese.Grill until set and puffed,then slide onto a plate and fold over to enclose the filling.Cut in half and serve at once.Serves 2.Nutrition per serving:protein 20g;fat 50g;carbohydrates 5g;dietary fibre 5.5g;cholestrol 485mg;2365kj(5yt cal)

Deluxe Salad:

Artichoke hearts

Arugula

Alfalfa sprouts

Avocado

Bean sprouts

Bell Peppers (green & red)

Cabbage (white & red)

Carrots

Celery

Cucumber

Chili Peppers

Chives

Collards

Endive

Green onions (scallions)

Garlic

Kale

Leek

Lettuce (romaine, red, green, iceberg, green leafy)

Onions, yellow

Radishes

Spinach

Tomato

Watercress

Cheese

Egg whites

Dressing

Jalapenos

Parsley

I don't think I could go vegetarian or vegan even if I wanted to. But after doing lots of research and reading from unbiased sources, we decided to eat vegetarian on weekdays and then meat only on the weekend, maybe also Friday dinner.

This will be a challenge. We don't eat much bread, maybe the Ezekiel bread every now and then.

We use milk only for coffee and the other dairy sparingly.

I won't even start including soy/tofu.

We very rarely eat processed food.

I don't like using protein powders.

I don't make corn and corn products anymore because I'm too afraid of what GMO products will do. Though I discovered organic corn meal, so I guess cornbread will be an option.

Soooo, lol, does anyone have any suggestions for meals and snacks so that I have some more variety?

• 2 months later...
Guest Vegsushi

You could do a jacket potato with baked beans or some type of salad

Vegetable soup - butternut squash or Asian style

Lasagne

Stuffed aubergine (zucchini)

Vegetable stir fry

Vegetable curry

Bean casserole

Really the list is endless just substitute meat for mushroom or some other meaty vegetable :)

I generally just roast all my veggies and eat it with brown pasta or rice if I am in a rush.

Let us know how you get on

• 1 month later...

Years ago in Miami we ate at a vegetarian restaurant and I always got this dish. It was just called 'The Vegetarian." EASY!!!!!!!!!!

Whole grain brown rice, cooked.

Any veggies you like (steamed):

green beans

carrots

potatoes

zuchinni

summer squash

broccolli

cauliflower

butter (5 Tsps)

shredded cheese of your choice (to top the dish)

1 onion sliced in thin rings

1 pkg fresh mushrooms, cleaned & sliced

1 garlic clove (minced)

In frying pan saute onions, garlic and mushrooms in butter until tender. 

**************************************************************************************

Make a bed of rice on a broiler proof plate. Place your favorite steamed veggies on rice. Spoon the onion, garlic, mushroom with butter over steamed veggies. Top with cheese. Place under broiler until cheese melts. Delicious!