JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How To Make Stuff - A A

This was one of the very first types of solar cells I ever made, you can find written instructions if you do a google search for Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC).

The ones I make now are also organic, but they are what is termed as bulk heterojunction due to the way their architecture is designed.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_solar_cell  

Other interesting news includes research from Germany regarding the small molecule architecture, which produces efficiencies of up to 15%.  Currently Silicon based solar panels only account for 25% efficiency, but they are harmful to the environment, costly to produce, brittle as all get out, thus organic solar is the way to go.  They'll be on plastic (as opposed to glass), so you can cut them, shape them however you want, be of different colours.  Plus they'll be cheap!

If you truly would like to learn about solar, there is a wonderful resource available at www.pveducation.org.  While the site is geared toward the Silicon solar cell, you can apply many of the same parameters to the organic ones.

As you will soon see, there are MANY considerations when considering solar.  The site listed above is comprehensive enough to give a complete beginner an idea of what needs to be accounted for, but also meaty enough to delve into the more complex functions of these cells.   Happy reading!

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

• 2 weeks later...

Fridge will not be much use unless we learn to make electric or how to go back to using an "ice box". I would like to know how to build solar Panels

If our home is still standing, come on over. We got the alternative energy thing going for us. Ones in our congregation have already decided to come here when grid power is down. Fish in the river, acorns, apples, berries. Figs. Peaches, walnuts. Grapes. Plus, who knows what ones in this area are growing, food wise. Lots of gardening. It is all in the attitude, and we will be fine. Plus, I could loose a few pounds.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

You must be expecting a lot of time on your hands. 

Solar Impulse is the first manned solar aircraft that can fly by both day and night. It took just over two months for it to cross the U.S., including stops in cities along the way.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I was really replying to time when you would be traveling, like right after armageddon, we will probably be busy. When we have eternity that will work.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

YEP! That is EXACTLY why I need a fridge. I like my Mountain Dew cold!  :lol1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxNRo3yA2No

This is a non-electric fridge that has won awards for supplying a method of keeping stuff 20 degrees cooler than the outside temperature in countries with no access to electricity. It is also called a Zeer Pot Fridge.

You need 2 large terracotta (plant) pots that can go one inside the other with a good inch or 2 clearance all round.

Duct-tape the base hole, if you are using a plant pot, and place one in the other.

Fill the gap between the 2 with sand to just and inch below the top.

Gently pour in cold water using a spouted vessel or watering can until you know all the sand is soaked.

Place your couple of beer bottles or fresh food in the pot and cover it with a wet towel.

After a few hours in a shady place - better where there's an ability for airflow - the temperature will start to drop inside the pot. One youtube video shows an outside temp of 82 degrees and 50 degrees in the pot after a few hours. It works by utilising water evaporation.

PS.can't see how to put youtube clips up on here like we used to with the old forum.

Edited by retroHelen

Dream on, Jerry....unless you know something I don't... :lol:

Maybe they'll call it a 'Soy Crunchy Burrito'....

Or maybe you can keep track of a very old cow and then use it for food when it drops dead(???)....just a kooky thought...

Then is just aged meat, they charge more that. Yummy!¡

I like fast food but in the new world we will have plenty of time, so let's invent the slow food... That way we can be eating all day long :P

Nice way of producing methane, Jerry :P

On the topic issue, perhaps a good machine we should have (right AA) is a gigantic vacuum cleaner :eek:

On that idea I vote southern fried chicken!!!

What about this? I sure would love to fly

Human-powered helicopter hovers accurately for 60 seconds, beats 'impossible' challenge

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/11/4514812/human-powered-helicopter-atlas-wins-sikorsky-prize

That's exactly what my husband wants to do but I say "no" horseback is the way we will travel, I hate heights!!!!

I want to learn how to make the soil so nutrient compact that you will only have to eat one vegetable or fruit out of it and get all your nutrients that you need for one day and all the energy you need too. 

I know people like to eat, but it makes me sick to eat and so forth, that I want to be able to do all I want to do without worrying about preparing food. I just want to eat what I need to and get on with life. haha