JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Killed Vs. Unkilled

Interesting that I just read something that adds to that subject of unkilled meat :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/small-world/2013/jun/12/nanotechnology-religion-complex-relationship

"

In the science fiction short story Halo, a panel of Muslim scholars discuss a strip of bacon made by a "molecular assembler", a device capable of producing the meat directly from individual atoms, instead of slicing it from an animal. All meat from a pig is forbidden according to Islam's halal laws. Synthetic bacon is identical to the real one, but it has never been part of a living pig. Is it still forbidden?

"The story may look like a joke, but it shows how the capacity of nanotechnology to manipulate atoms may change the material world in such a way to raise religious questions

"

Edited by jayrtom

Nanotechnology is one of the fields that I've done some study in, it has great potential to do a lot of good, but on the other hand, potential to do a lot of harm.  Currently in Canada it is listed as a disruptive technology.  

Some of the 'great things' nanotechnology has been undergoing testing for is new methods of drug delivery.  For example there is a nanoparticulate entity called HTCC which is capable of housing a parathyroid hormone.  It is currently undergoing human trials, and will be used for osteoporosis.  Currently patients take 1 pill every week, sometimes 2 depending on their needs.  With this new particle, they will take it only once, and it will last for a year.  One of the reasons being is, is that the particle eludes the immune system due to its being smaller than the 200 nm limit. 

One of the 'bad things' about nanotechnology is its size.  Carbon nanotubes, or CNT's behave very similarly to Asbestos when it gets into the lungs of a person.  The immune system cannot clear them because they're too small.  

There's also two types of nanotechnology, there is your bottom up, and top down forms.  Bottom up seems to be more biocompatible, in the sense that we use pre-existing materials and build things from them.  Whereas with top down, it's somewhat like sculpting something, you start with a huge block, expend a lot of energy and time, using very, very harsh chemicals and is generally unfavourable to life.  

Also of great interest, especially to us Jehovah's Witnesses is a synthetic blood.  A brother on the hospital committee shared it with me, awhile back and I have been posting them on my facebook page, but never thought to share them here.  I'll do that now, but I'll start my own thread!!

Joao - don't make me go looking for that synthetic meat thread I started a year or so ago  :lol1:

EDIT > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2004791/Japanese-scientist-makes-delicious-burger--human-EXCREMENT.html

:lol1:  :omg:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Have as anyone tried the Vegetarian not Bacon or Not Sausages.?

They look like the real McCoy.

Taste Ok.

Nothing beats the real Bacon flavor. Hmmmm!!!!!.

Love the aroma.:D.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

The only spiders I will ever eat is the one made from peanut butter,crispy noodles & melted chocolate.

I have heard up in the most Nth part QLD. Giant Roaches Are on the menu...:P

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Has anyone tried this meat yet?  Anyone in here? 

Not now or ever, not even with someone else's mouth.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.