JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3910 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Does anyone have any news on our brothers in Calgary?  They were to have their convention this past weekend at the Saddledome but the entire arena was flooded up to the first 10 rows from ice-level.  

So sad.   :(

The assembly was canceled.. In Calgary

It will be moved to Edmonton in two weeks..

One Kingdom Hall severely damaged the other one not as bad..

Over 30 homes of our brothers flooded out..in Calgary and High River area..

I havn't heard yet if BC RBC2 will be called in to help..

All the brothers and sisters asked by canada branch to keep their commitment to their assembly assignments if at all possible..

That is the latest I heard from friends in Calgary...

Lance

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

This is a shot of the High River Alberta flood...

A lot of our brothers homes flooded .. The Kingdom Hall is in rough shape.. Not sure if it is a write off as of yet...

post-2074-0-19998000-1372127157_thumb.jp

post-2074-0-91392400-1372127172.jpg

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Deary me. Friends. Be safe & May Jehovah be with you all. :grouphug: :prayering: too.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

See second post.. Re Calgary and area

Just property damage no lives lost..

Bethel and RBC are coordinating reconstruction.. Clean-up and repairs for the affected areas...

Lance

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/06/24/calgary-flooding-downtown-water-nenshi-status.html

Alberta flood recovery could take 10 years, says premier

"I promise you that, on behalf of the government of Alberta, we will do everything that it takes for people to rebuild their homes and rebuild their lives and rebuild their communities," the premier said.

Redford, who addressed media Monday, said the flooding would have a huge effect on the provincial budget.

The premier announced that the province had approved a $1-billion preliminary emergency fund to deal with the funding. Part of that will be for "cash cards" for residents who have not been able to return home yet. That funding will start to be handed out in the next week or two, she said.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I received a couple of emails from sisters I know in and around Calgary. Lots of brothers and sisters had to evacuate their homes. No reports of any injuries among the brothers, but some Kingdom Halls were damaged. Many brothers and sisters from outside of Calgary had already come into town earlier in the week in preparation for the convention. But they were stuck there afterwards since highways back home were shut down.

As Lance mentioned, an additional convention was hastily organized for Edmonton on July 5-7, one week after the already-scheduled convention. It seems the later convention will not be in the same place though; it will apparently be in a stadium rather than the Edmonton Northlands. Either way, for those who were originally assigned to the Calgary convention it means a greater sacrifice and effort needed to be able to attend. However, they are still in good spirits as they are confident Jehovah is always backing them up.

Here is the latest information that was given to me a few minutes ago.. ....

At the time of writing, 217 of our brothers and sisters have been displaced from their homes.
Lovingly, fellow Witnesses in the Calgary area have opened their homes to care for all of these
ones. In one of the hardest hit areas, the town of High River, it is estimated that 34 homes of our
brothers have been destroyed, and a further 23 will need extensive repairs. The Kingdom Hall in
High River is also severely damaged. In Canmore, 14 brothers and sisters have been displaced
and one home is damaged. The Kingdom Hall was spared. In the city of Calgary, one Kingdom
Hall sustained minor flood damage.

The day after the flooding, a disaster relief committee was appointed by the branch to
care for the immediate needs of the brothers affected and begin assessing any future needs which
might be required in restoring their homes. Undoubtedly, much work will need to be done by the
brothers in the area.
How reassuring to know that we are part of a worldwide brotherhood. Paul likened the
brotherhood to a body. He said: “And if one member suffers, all the other members suffer with
it.” (1 Cor. 12:26) Many concerned brothers have phoned the branch office to inquire about
what they can do to assist those affected by the flooding in Alberta. Indeed, what can be done at
this time? When faced with any situation that can affect the spirituality of our brothers, we carry
on in prayer. We are reminded of the simple statement at 1 Thessalonians 5:25: “Brothers,
continue in prayer for us.” Remember that prayer has power.

What else can we possibly do? As the account at Acts 11:27-30 shows, Christians in the
first century provided a relief ministration to the brothers dwelling in Judea because of a famine
that took place. At times, individuals inquire about how to support those who are in need. It
would be good to review the direction given in the November 2005 Our Kingdom Ministry,
page 3, under the subject, “How Can We Help?” As indicated in that reference, it is
recommended that donations be made to the worldwide work. Also, if there is a need for
brothers and sisters from areas outside the affected area to volunteer or assist with equipment and
supplies, we will be pleased to notify you. At this time, needs are still being assessed; however,
it seems that so far the brothers in the area will be able to care for the needs.

Lance

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Vera

As for Lethbridge ..the flood surge is going slower than expected... so according to the news.the state of emergency was called off..just minor flooding in low flood prone areas.. 

Medicine Hat  and area was fairly low in water levels prior to the storm so the sloughs and steams had a lot of capacity to absorb the onslaught.. 

There is also dams near Lethbridge so they can control the surge.

Lance

They are struggling in Calgary as the latest developments show a railway bridge is on the verge of collapse.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/train-in-danger-of-falling-into-bow-river-1.1343750

Also many of our brothers and sisters have lost their homes in High River Alberta.

http://globalnews.ca/news/671313/we-dont-have-a-flood-we-have-a-disaster-says-mayor-as-tensions-rise-in-high-river-alberta/

Unfortunately there is no flood insurance to cover this. As mentioned in an earlier post the DC will be held July 5-7 for the brothers and sisters in Calgary. This weeks coverage of the Yearbook on how our B&S in Myanmar  travelled 6-8 days to get to there assembly will help encourage them.

Keeping them in our prayers we also know Jehovah will provide.

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

Latest news

All the brothers and sisters have 2 brothers assigned to each family to help them organize ..clean up .. and to apply for any government assistance.. If it is too much for them to bear due to the extent of the loss ... the brothers will look after their needs .. Until they get their places cleaned up ... A very loving arrangement ...

Lance

A sister sent me this report this evening:

Today's 2pm meeting for the High River congregation with Disaster Relief Committee was incredible! First the members of the committee introduced themselves and talked about each of their roles. Then... they said the following:

Every family will have 2 brothers assigned to them to help them through everything - right from when they first go back to see their homes.  These brothers will fill out all the forms and paperwork re the assessment, take all the pictures and make sure that whatever you qualify for in the way gov't funding is provided - right to the penny.  If someone decides they don't want to see their house until it's been cleaned up, that's ok, these 2 brothers will look after everything for you until you're ready.

An elder was told by someone that his landlord was demanding the rent money and he didn't have it.  The relief committee said, they're on it - they will check into tenant's rights and deal with whatever the need - if it happens that the rent has to be paid, it will be paid. They said they are taking hundreds of phone calls, holding back the floodgates of brothers who want to help in any way they can - that whatever your need (need, that is) there's a brother somewhere who can accommodate it. Over and over they were stressing that they didn't want the brothers to worry about anything! Kelsey said EVERYONE was crying - just completely overwhelmed by this, Jehovah's organization, thinking of everything!!

They said they have all the funding already to rebuild everyone's home - not the TajMahal but a functional, habital home that they can move back into. Each families needs will be cared for on a personal basis according to their need.  Also, since the cloak room is now over flowing with donations and bags/boxes that haven't even been sorted through yet, the brothers are going to provide a 40' long trailer? type thing where brothers can come whenever they want to get what they need.

Kelsey said now there's everything from shampoo, diapers, makeup, shoes, everything! Brothers were coming out saying - do you like my suit - so many suits! So practical and just what they all need.  Remember Corey, whose Dad isn't in the truth but was shown such hospitality by the Bell's - Corey and his dad are staying with a family in Calgary who are housing several families and it doesn't matter that nobody knows him or that he's not a witness AND he's been to every mtg since. Last night at service mtg Kelsey asked Corey how his dad was doing and Corey yelled over to his dad who was talking with some brothers - how're you doing dad? He said, Just Fine! Just Fine!
I'll end there - have to get out the door for our mtg....

We just had the same letter read to our congregation last night.  At the DC this past weekend 180 homes from Edmonton were made available to those travelling to the DC from Calgary this coming weekend.  I wish I had the room/beds to accommodate, I have two rooms that are totally unused at the moment but nothing for anyone to sleep on :(  they're just empty.  I have been scouring kijiji for the past while for free beds!

Of all the praying that I've been doing of late, I pray the most that this sort of an event will act as a wake up call to those who live outside of Jehovah's arrangement.  Whether it be because of the flooding itself, or because of the visible help and support from Jehovah's organization in assisting those who have lost everything with getting back to some semblance of normalcy.  

I cannot believe the landlord is still expecting rent.  That is just unthinkable to me.  However, I suppose if their mortgage needs to be paid, then the rent needs to be there too :(

Here's another story coming from the area, yet another http://globalnews.ca/news/688423/residents-gripe-about-insurance-confusion-in-light-of-flood-damage/ thing that maybe our brothers and sisters can use.  Obviously some will have policies that help, others may not.  At least worth looking into.  

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

• 1 month later...

A sister sent me this report this evening:

Today's 2pm meeting for the High River congregation with Disaster Relief Committee was incredible! First the members of the committee introduced themselves and talked about each of their roles. Then... they said the following:

Every family will have 2 brothers assigned to them to help them through everything - right from when they first go back to see their homes.  These brothers will fill out all the forms and paperwork re the assessment, take all the pictures and make sure that whatever you qualify for in the way gov't funding is provided - right to the penny.  If someone decides they don't want to see their house until it's been cleaned up, that's ok, these 2 brothers will look after everything for you until you're ready.

An elder was told by someone that his landlord was demanding the rent money and he didn't have it.  The relief committee said, they're on it - they will check into tenant's rights and deal with whatever the need - if it happens that the rent has to be paid, it will be paid. They said they are taking hundreds of phone calls, holding back the floodgates of brothers who want to help in any way they can - that whatever your need (need, that is) there's a brother somewhere who can accommodate it. Over and over they were stressing that they didn't want the brothers to worry about anything! Kelsey said EVERYONE was crying - just completely overwhelmed by this, Jehovah's organization, thinking of everything!!

They said they have all the funding already to rebuild everyone's home - not the TajMahal but a functional, habital home that they can move back into. Each families needs will be cared for on a personal basis according to their need.  Also, since the cloak room is now over flowing with donations and bags/boxes that haven't even been sorted through yet, the brothers are going to provide a 40' long trailer? type thing where brothers can come whenever they want to get what they need.

Kelsey said now there's everything from shampoo, diapers, makeup, shoes, everything! Brothers were coming out saying - do you like my suit - so many suits! So practical and just what they all need.  Remember Corey, whose Dad isn't in the truth but was shown such hospitality by the Bell's - Corey and his dad are staying with a family in Calgary who are housing several families and it doesn't matter that nobody knows him or that he's not a witness AND he's been to every mtg since. Last night at service mtg Kelsey asked Corey how his dad was doing and Corey yelled over to his dad who was talking with some brothers - how're you doing dad? He said, Just Fine! Just Fine!
I'll end there - have to get out the door for our mtg....

This amazing, as we can see Jehovah provides for his people.  This is the truth.

Sis Little