The Challenges and Benefits of Home-Schooling
13 13

163 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Nice pic Brother Jerry. What happened to the hat?

Didn't need it with my new hair style. :lol:

kejedo likes this

I have just been looking at some School House Rock. Then I watched some Sesame Street oldies on counting.  The four y/o who spends time with me can recite one to ten, but cannot associate the number's name with an amount on the papers I have made for him.  EX: I have made a paper with one elephant on the first line, two on the next and he cannot differentiate.  It has been suggested that video learning is not a stand alone, but could help me introduce a concept that is reinforced with  human interaction. A 15 y/o is having trouble identifying the subject or the noun in a sentence.  The School House rock is cute on this. Then I can get a piece of OUR literature and have her search for nouns.  I do believe it is useful to appreciate the grammar used in our literature.  A brother had a counseling point this midweek on "pausing."  Most times punctuation helps us to know when to pause, but sometimes the sentence construction/content does.  

Hope, Elijahsmama, trottigy and 1 other like this

12 hours ago, Hope said:

If one doesn't want to learn advanced math, at least learn what it looks like... <_<

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/05/07/professors-airplane-math-leads-flight-delay/84084914/

Or God forbid you buy more than 2 items at a time and have to multiply the amount rather than just double it. :eek: 

I can't imagine what would happen with the NON-math people who need to figure out a 15% discount for the 5 items they are buying. Then what happens when they only tax the non-food items :nope:  How - without some algebra - would a person know they aren't being cheated? 

My other favorite math thing - when I only have a 1/4, 1/2 and 1 cup measuring scoop and the recipe calls for 3/8 cup :eek:    :lol1: 

Yep, some people use math every day, but then again I work for a building department where MUCH math is used regularly - in plan checking, inspecting and analyzing data. Perhaps if I had a simple job - like janitorial work or retail (and I just trusted the cash register) I wouldn't need it.

PLEASE teach math to your children and it should include some basic algebra!! and trigonometry if you don't want them thinking the earth is flat. :nope:  There are still people like that out there!!!

EDIT: something fun to do - when buying fast food - give the kid at the register whole dollars after they ring up your items. Then AFTER he rings up your change - hand them a nickle and tell them this will make the change easier :lol1:  Funniest thing to watch those with no basic math skills!! :yes:  

Hope and countrykaren like this

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:38 AM, trottigy said:

Or God forbid you buy more than 2 items at a time and have to multiply the amount rather than just double it. :eek: 

I can't imagine what would happen with the NON-math people who need to figure out a 15% discount for the 5 items they are buying. Then what happens when they only tax the non-food items :nope:  How - without some algebra - would a person know they aren't being cheated? 

My other favorite math thing - when I only have a 1/4, 1/2 and 1 cup measuring scoop and the recipe calls for 3/8 cup :eek:    :lol1: 

Yep, some people use math every day, but then again I work for a building department where MUCH math is used regularly - in plan checking, inspecting and analyzing data. Perhaps if I had a simple job - like janitorial work or retail (and I just trusted the cash register) I wouldn't need it.

PLEASE teach math to your children and it should include some basic algebra!! and trigonometry if you don't want them thinking the earth is flat. :nope:  There are still people like that out there!!!

EDIT: something fun to do - when buying fast food - give the kid at the register whole dollars after they ring up your items. Then AFTER he rings up your change - hand them a nickle and tell them this will make the change easier :lol1:  Funniest thing to watch those with no basic math skills!! :yes:  

:lol1:Too funny!

trottigy likes this

On 5/9/2016 at 10:38 AM, trottigy said:

Not funny.  

Hope and trottigy like this

I am a home schooling parent started doing it in 1998 and on my last child now my oldest is 28 and extremely happy she was home schooled she is smart and actually has common sense she doesn't like internet thimngd but can use them I believe in balance in all things times tables are very important I was not smart but have learnt more and more every day ! I love the simple pleasures my children have shown me and am truly grateful that Jehovah has blessed me to be able to teach study and laugh with my precious children a gift from Jehovah I would adopt any child it's hard but truly satisfyingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kejedo and trottigy like this

Has anyone used the CAT by SEton for levels 19, 20? I am going to do a complete content review for some teenagers and do not know how many minutes for timing math- computation and  applied math. I have not seen the instux. 

countrykaren likes this

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, kejedo said:

Not funny.  

Agreed !! Not funny - it is actually painful to watch - and for those that have that mind block they know they are being made fun of - amusement should come from other sources rather than the belittlement of another's seemingly stupidity.  Disappointed.

On 5/9/2016 at 10:38 AM, trottigy said:

PLEASE teach math to your children  

Another basic truism. The teenage home-schoolers that I am coaching still need to commit basic operations to memory (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).  When the word 'arithmetic' was replaced in most curricula, so were the  processes. Like building a house on sand.   `These Baptized high schoolers have asked me what to do for the rest of the summer, and I (again) asked that they learn these facts, skill through drill, if necessary.

I intend to do a math day at the beginning of the 'technical' new school year (service year) September.

I have written a couple of math labs (activities): One is using cheezits to accidentally (?) prove the Pythagorean theorem.  I have found a spot in town which is almost a complete right triangle. I would like them to measure, using twelve ft metal tape measures and calculators, and see how far off the longest side is from the correct hypotenuse.   (This was redesigned a few years ago, to the chagrin of the town.)  

I would also like to take them to a spot where I watched  a 'surveyor' draw lines incorrectly.  HIs instruments were leaning against my car that morning and I had to move them to get to work on time.  He was definitely not on point. I would like them to chalk mark where the vehicle park lines should have been drawn (Surveying) 

Additional  activity is to find our way anywhere in the world using the sun and an analog watch face.  Outside, we will use paper plates with handwritten clock faces  and using angle bisectors, map all directions.  We can pick this anytime of the day that is sunny. As a pre-lab to this activity, I would like them to research daylight savings time, which affects our calculations. (Orienteering). 

I may include an additional indoor activity , Rocket Ships and Newton's Third law, if we are waiting for the sun to come back out. 

Happy summer to all students whether you are in session or not. We are always learning through our theocratic assignments,  thanks to Jehovah, the Greatest Mathematician (among  limitless other things.) 

Edited by kejedo
countrykaren and Hope like this

Shockingly enough, I NEVER required my children to memorize the times tables... but we do math in every day life (some workbooks too, but really a lot in every day life). When Lela got to be 3rd grade age, I thought hmm.. maybe I should have her memorize the times tables like they do in school.. so I gave her a sheet of them, and told her to memorize them.. she looked at it, an said.. moooom... this is dumb.. seriously you want me to memorize this, we know all this, why would I sit and memorize this when I know all the answers. So I took the sheet back from her, and told her to recite to me all of it.. (with out looking at the sheet) and yeah.. she knew all the times tables 0-12.. with out ever having to memorize the "times tables"! lol So after that I was like, well it's kind of silly I guess to do that when they already know their math from life! 

The other day my 7 year old, was playing with my youngest sister.. they were doing "dress up".. my daughter was painting my sisters nails.. she said, while I will do this for free now, because we are kids, when I grow up, I'm going to do nails for a living. Then you will have to pay me, but I will only charge you a dollar because you're my aunt.. but well you know it will have to be 1.08 cause of tax you know! My little sister started laughing her head off, and was like how does she know about tax, and how to add it up?? Uh life.. they want to buy something at the store, they better know how much they need to buy it, including tax! 

I think it's really difficult for non-homeschooling people to understand how homeschooling can work, and what it looks like.. so kind of hard to give advice when you haven't experienced it and done it... 

kejedo likes this

4 hours ago, PrairieGirl said:

So I took the sheet back from her, and told her to recite to me all of it.. (with out looking at the sheet) and yeah.. she knew all the times tables 0-12.. with out ever having to memorize the "times tables"! lol So after that I was like, well it's kind of silly I guess to do that when they already know their math from life! 

Yes, that's why i put 'maybe' for skill through drill (aka chug n plug). Many have already learned basic operations through activities.  I believe the youngest of the high schoolers I coach knows most or all the facts of basic arithmetic.  Some would like to learn some speed math techniques, but one has to know basic  facts for this.  Maybe I'll teach them a few  speed tricks  in September.

The NCTM (National Council for Teachers of Mathematics) has wavered on this; avoiding any rote learning such as arithmetic facts, but now states students should know and be able to use these basic calculations, regardless of the method  by which they learn relational mathematical understanding.

"......... it is strikingly distant from the kind of relational mathematical understanding that NCTM (1991, 2000) envisions for teachers and students."  

Students have a variety of learning styles , frequently differing between the maths: Example - one student may learn Algebra quickly by understanding the concept first, but this same student may do better in Geometry by  practicing  shape measurement (context first.)

This is why I have always written most of my own class materials, with a variety of approaches, and it it is why most all math achievement tests have two parts: Calculation and Applied.  

Happy differences and Yay for your children that are succeeding in math.:ecstatic: