JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
JWTalk Forums

How can I delete my account?

How can I delete my account?

We do not delete user accounts. However, we can "deactivate" your account upon request. In doing so, we move you to the "Former Members" group and edit your accounts permissions so that you can no longer see and read the forums nor send and receive private messages.

You'll still be able to log in and communicate with just the moderator team, and you can log out and read the publicly visible forums as a guest, but it will be clearly evident to all other users that you have left the community.

Can I make all my posts disappear from the forums?

No. They remain. Removing the posts will make it confusing for others to follow the discussions that had taken place. Plus there is no easy way to do this.

Can I get my account back if I change my mind?

Yes. When you log in again, you can see a forum called "Confidential Talk with the Moderators" and you can post a request in there that your account be re-enabled.

Keep in mind that if you have never made a post at all, your account will be deleted after a while. A few times each year, we purge old accounts with zero posts and who have not returned in 6 months time.

I desire to leave JWTalk...Also, I do not have a problem with staying away from JWTalk because I have a satisfying life outside of this community. I am simplifying my life to pursue more spiritual matters.

Question:

Why is it that jwtalk cannot/will not completely delete my account? Other social media allow their members to delete their own membership accounts, why doesn't JWTalk have this policy? Its like I'm being forced to stay. I see no reason why that can't be done.... I should not have to be inactive on this site for my account to be totally deleted.

Edited by Dismal_Bliss
Removed quasi-nasty remark

We won't hold you hostage. We know some chose to leave. I will change your account right away.

As to why we inactivate rather than delete - this is a discussion forum and if we delete your account and all your posts, the discussions you were in won't make any sense - take this very thread as an example. Most other "social media" is just posts - without discussions. At this point you might be thinking - oh but I didn't participate in much so... Well perhaps that is why you are leaving; regardless, this needs to be our policy for all to keep the integrity of the threads.

Thank you for your participation. We are sad to see you go, but we understand and we wish you the best. :wave:

Edit: and done.

Edited by trottigy

Hate to see you leave Jackie...didn't get a chance to get to know you Sis... A friend pioneer/moderator who used to be on here just checks in every once in awhile, mostly Sunday WT article discussions and meeting comments, while pursuiing other interests. Hope you will reconsider... :)

Some of us spend too much time on here...I'll be the first to admit...

Michael

Why is it that jwtalk cannot/will not completely delete my account? Other social media allow their members to delete their own membership accounts, why doesn't JWTalk have this policy? Its like I'm being forced to stay. I see no reason why that can't be done.... I should not have to be inactive on this site for my account to be totally deleted.

Actually, what we do is similar to Facebook, who never really deletes your account. They allow you to deactivate your account. Almost all forums on the internet do not allow you to delete your account. We're following common practice. Why? The primary reasons are due to software limitations and the need to preserve the flow of conversation.

The reason why we do not delete accounts that have made posts is because those posts would show the author as "Anonymous User". Threads that contain posts from multiple authors whose accounts were deleted would have the "Anonymous User" label on them, giving the appearance that they were from the same author and thus creating confusion. Other readers will understand the conversation better when they see "Dismal_Bliss" said this and "trottigy" said that, rather than "Anonymous User" said both this and that. Besides, your username would still appear in posts where others quoted you.

The reason why we do not delete posts is because this would break the flow of conversation. If "trottigy" was heavily involved in a topic with "Dismal_Bliss" and then suddenly all of Dismal_Bliss' posts just vanished, other readers would find it impossible to understand the discussion topic.

When you request deactivation here at JWTalk Forums, you will no longer be able to see members only forums when logged in (you can still see public forums when logged out) and you will not be able to send and receive PM's. If you use your real photo as an avatar on your profile and posts, you can have it removed.

On 5/10/2015 at 3:59 AM, Jackson said:

I desire to leave JWTalk...Also, I do not have a problem with staying away from JWTalk because I have a satisfying life outside of this community. I am simplifying my life to pursue more spiritual matters. 

We are glad you came back and are sad to see you go again.

I'll deactivate your account.

As you did last time - feel free to request to come back any time.

EDIT: and done again.

Edited by trottigy