JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Quoting Other Users - Will Someone Explain This to Me?

EDIT: This topic has been LOCKED because it's contents are out of date, pertaining to the software we used from 2007 to 2013 - Bob

The QUOTE button should put everything into the Reply Editor for you, already formatted. You can then go up into the Quoted area and remove all irrelevant portions so that just the part you wanted to quote is actually quoted, then proceed to type your message.

Similarly, the MULTI-QUOTE button allows you to grab the contents of multiple posts and then reply to each person in a single post.

Although, if you are like me, sometimes you want to reply to certain portions of of the same users comments one at a time, and would like to split this persons quote up. The way I do this by clicking the switch at the top left of the post editor to turn off the Advanced Editor. Now all the BBCode will be seen. Everything that you want to quote has to be within a set of quote tags, like this....

[quote]What color is the sky?[/quote]Blue[quote]How do you like your coffee?[/quote]With lots of caffeine.

Before submitting, I flip the switch to turn on the Advanced Editor again so I can visually see if I did everything correctly before submitting the post. The results will be displayed in the next post....

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 2 years later...

Flipping the Advance Editor switch back to the ON position should result in the following....

What color is the sky?

Blue

How do you like your coffee?

With lots of caffeine.

If it doesn't, flip the switch for the Advanced Editor back OFF and look for missing or broken code.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

This solved a problem for me.  When I would type a post thee words were always in a light grey color that I could barely see.  Could not figure out why.  Tried what you suggested for a different problem and it cured mine.  Thanks

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

What about from a smart phone? Isn't the phone supposed to figure it out since it's so smart?http://jwtalk.net/forums/public/style_images/jwtalk/attachicon.gif %5Burl="%5Burl="]%5Burl="http://jwtalk.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=3316"]cat_in_bag.gif

:coffee:

Just right a "[" followed by the word "quote" and then this "]"

That must be before any words that you want to be quoted. At the end of the quoted portion you write the same thing again with the difference of putting this character "/" before the word "quote"

I wrote in a strange manner because if you are on a smartphone and I wrote the "[...." entirely it would just translate to a quote and you wouldn't see the "code" ;)

Edited by jayrtom

[quote name="SUNRAY" post -What about from a smart phone? Isn't the phone supposed to figure it out since it's so smart?

:idea:

Now I finally know why they are called "Smart Phones" :lol1::lol2:

Edited by Rochelle

If Satan reminds you of your past remind him of his future.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Bob:

When I click the quote button, as I did to your first post here, it opens the Reply Editor, but as you can see, it doesn't put the quote in the reply box. This is true for any post I want to quote and has existed for a few weeks now. I don't know if it's something with my computer, because the box that used to appear asking me if I wanted to allow access to my notepad or whatever it is, quit appearing. Any suggestions?

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley