JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The funniest thing happened when I tied in for the meeting.....

Has anyone here ever tied in for a meeting and then something funny happened? I'd love to hear your experiences. I'll start.

A couple of years ago, my daughter and I were on our way back to Oklahoma from Colorado. We were in Kansas when my daughter says, " our meeting is starting in a few minutes, I think I'll tie us in." We'd reached the Watchtower portion when the conducting brother announced that they'd fixed the phones so that the ones listening in could make comments. He then told us that a brother Richard had a comment. We heard Richard make his comment, and then, heard the conducting brother say that they were having audio problems and couldn't hear the brother. They waited a couple of moments, and then called on someone in the audience. We heard Richard say: Can you hear me? Can you hear me? 

Well, of course, WE could. In frustration, Richard says, well, shoot, they can't hear me. And then he hung up.

We later mentioned to him that we heard his comments. We also mentioned to the conducting brother that we could hear it all. It just seemed a little humorous at the time.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

When the brothers started using KHConf many years ago there was a password to listen and a different password to comment. That worked for awhile but several times someone would use the wrong password and not mute their phone, so the entire congregation could hear everything they were doing..:D

The brothers stopped using the 'comment' password and set the system up for listening only.

..or so i thought..

Recently we were out of town and decided to listen to our own meeting, during the WT study we could hear someone talking about the meeting, so apparently someone else listening to the meeting was being heard by everyone else that was listening. I mentioned it to the COBE and just this week an announcement was made about which password to use when calling in..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It's my understanding that ambiant noise can be picked up and heard by other users of KHCONF, Without anyone using the password protected "commenting" account.

We experimented with this and heard noise from clients with NO ONE connected with the commenting password. That's why our brothers admonish those on the hookup to please mute their phones at the beginning of every meeting.

Congregations who wish to discontinue the comment feature should have that password changed, so that those who didn’t get the memo or have forgotten, are not able to connect that way again.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

19 hours ago, Tortuga said:

When the brothers started using KHConf many years ago there was a password to listen and a different password to comment. That worked for awhile but several times someone would use the wrong password and not mute their phone, so the entire congregation could hear everything they were doing..:D

The brothers stopped using the 'comment' password and set the system up for listening only.

..or so i thought..

Recently we were out of town and decided to listen to our own meeting, during the WT study we could hear someone talking about the meeting, so apparently someone else listening to the meeting was being heard by everyone else that was listening. I mentioned it to the COBE and just this week an announcement was made about which password to use when calling in..

Well, if the home listeners can't comment, then talking about the meeting might be great for interaction JUST among those who are at home. Great way for at least a little fellowship anyway. As long as they don't get carried away with their commenting and stop listening to the actual Kingdom Hall meeting. 

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

9 minutes ago, JudyO said:

Well, if the home listeners can't comment, then talking about the meeting might be great for interaction JUST among those who are at home. Great way for at least a little fellowship anyway. As long as they don't get carried away with their commenting and stop listening to the actual Kingdom Hall meeting. 

The time we heard background noise it sounded like kids playing and someone washing dishes. My impression was that the listener was a witness but the rest of the house wasn't.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When we first tried KHConf I was downstairs and Emma was stuck in bed upstairs. We had the wireless phones on mute but I had activated the feature where Emma and I could talk to each other.

Someone was being interviewed on the platform and then there was some applause.

Emma - “She was good, wasn’t she.”

Me - “That was a brother.”

Local elder listening in - “Emma darling, we can hear you.”

We put tape over the microphones after that.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13