JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Diet or Body Boot camp.

Jules which gym did you join? I go to Villa off Research Forest. I have about 10 lbs I want to lose, but my problem is ice just had a hard time being motivated. It's going to sound crazy but my husband has lost 60 lbs in the past 9 months and he did it in stages and ow thinks he is an expert at weight loss. I wanna hit upside his head when he tries and tells me HOW to lose weight and it makes it 10 times harder because he has lost so much weight and is now critical over the way I want to lose weight. First of all I don't have 60lbs to lose......and I'm sorry but the only time I've been in that situation I was 10 months pregnant, and then I lost most of it before I even left the hospital. He just doesn't get it that when you ONLY have 10 to lose its like pulling teeth. However I figured I would share ow he did it, he didn't not go to a gym, pay for a diet plan or take ANY supplements.

First, he cut down on his dining out, started taking his lunch to work and we cooked at home more and he lost 10lbs!

Second, he started using portion control, his lunch he would take to work would only fill this one size Tupperware container we had. He would only eat whatever would fit in there and no more. He lost 10 more lbs.

Third, he stopped drinking sodas and Gatorade and started drinking only water and diet soda (which I don't recommend to do regularly). He lost 10 lbs.

Fourth, he decided to start making better food choices, he would choose lean grilled meats (pork, chicken, fish) and steamed or geilled veggies and he would eat these better choices still using his portion control. Lost 10 lbs

Fifth, he was now under 200lbs so he started power walking every day in the mornings before work or after work in the evenings. He would go for 30 mins to 50 mins. Lost 5 lbs (because he was eating more due to burning more calaries)

Sixth, he started drinking coffee because he claimed it was an appetite suppressant and helped him through the work day to stay awake BUt he would load it with sugar. Lost 5lbs and was discouraged.

I brought it to his attention that all that sugar was not good for him and that by eating breakfast and having healthy snacks during the day would help soooooooo he started using Stevia sweetener, eating raw almonds and apples for snacks and oatmeal for breakfast. He lost 10 lbs!!!!!

And all during this process I gained 10 lbs and I workout at least 3 times a week sometimes 4 and have always made healthy eating choices. So it's just makes me want to cry....MEN!!!!! Errrrrrrr!

Oh, Chanel, I know what you mean.  Sometimes, I think men just have to say, 'I want to lose weight,' and it falls off of them.  Whereas me, all I have to do is look at something I shouldn't eat, and the calories seem to jump from that particular item to my body!  I think I may have said earlier on in this forum that when I was younger, my brother and I would go on a diet at the same time.  In two weeks I might lose 2 pounds, and he would lose 10!  So unfair!

You know, if you have gained weight, it just may be because of your working out.   You are gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.  How do your clothes feel?

I go to the 24 Hour Fitness on Kuykendahl.  I am focusing on weights, because, for some odd reason, I feel lightheaded when I get off the treadmill or the bike.  :(  I am going to ask the doctor about this when I have my physical shortly!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I hate to say this (write it) because if you say it out loud then it makes it true.  I would croak if anyone were to look in my closet.  I have waaaay to many clothes and can only get into a small portion of them.  I have sizes ranging from 5 all the way up to 18.  I am wearing a size 12-14 currently but can never commit to give the large sizes away for fear I will need them again and yet I refuse to give the 5's away because sometimes I stand in my closet and think--"Wow, I use to wear that and thought I was fat then!"  Why do we do these things to ourselves?  Anyway, I went swimming again last night and will be starting my water aerobics class, Zumba, and free swim tonight at 6  ending at 9!  I hate to think about giving up or limiting sugar because frankly that would be almost my whole diet.  I have been drinking water only.  I am going to make a pot of cabbage soup for my husband and myself to eat when we feel like we need something NOW.  Hey, if I have to do this I am going to make him to it to!  He will probably loose his 10 lbs in a few days.  Now that his ability to move has been limited from his knee replacement and other pending surgeries he needs to address this before it becomes 20 lbs to loose.  I hope I am wearing my size 8 by the 1st of November.  That is a goal for me.  Not to fast but it seems doable...Then I am going home and cleaning out my closet.  I will bundle all the clothes together according to size then see if any sisters need them or take them to the Goodwill.  I am going to do this instead of just thinking about doing it.  I have written it so I am commited.  I have set the date for Monday to have this task completed.  

I'm the same so don't feel bad ! I have from size 2-14. The comfortable size where I felt good was a 6. I longingly look at those clothes as they were cute and classic. Know just frumpiness on me because when I try on what fits I don't like them. So if in the next 6 months I'm not where I want to be in size I'm giving them away!

Stress is holding me back at the moment so eating less but not fully on program. You go girls!!!!

post-2301-0-58266000-1374590658.gif

post-2301-0-05472500-1374590677.gif

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

I should post a before and after.  But I hate the before pics and afraid the after may not show a difference.  But I have noticed a difference in the way my jeans fit-getting lose in the butt.  Yeah!  Also I seem to be losing some in my face--only 1 1/2 chins now instead of two!  Plus I have noticed my skirts are getting longer--so maybe the hips and butt are letting them not ride up.  I have been swimming M-R for two weeks now--1 -2 hrs each evening--I should say dog paddling in the deep and an occ.  lap or two.  The pool is 88-90 degree at all times so this is great!  Plus is opened all year.  Zumba tonight!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Leslie, it sounds like it's working!  You are doing so much more than me.  I really need to get myself in gear!  (I couldn't even swim a lap across the narrow part of the pool.)

Oh, if I could stay away from cake would be a good idea, too, lol...

How is evening service where you are?  Do you have to fight off the mosquitoes like we do?  :(

That particular evening, I actually ended up spending time witnessing to my son.  Mosquitos were crazy, but thankfully I had the truck and we sat there for a couple of hours uninterrupted!

I am so limited for what I can do regarding exercise, as my heart is in poor condition (several heart attacks and now heart failure) but i needed to lose some weight.  I eat more healthy food options, more salads, fewer carbohydrates (I am also diabetic!) more fish (but I still LOVE my red meat), and an occasional treat (fried bacon, eggs etc).

My wife and I eat out maybe once a month, and we cut out most alcohol, (just a glass of wine with a meal now and only 2 days a week). Most importantly I eat smaller portions - this has trained my stomach to expect less food, and so I feel full more quickly.

In the last year I have lost 22kg (48 pounds)  down from 225 to 178 pounds.  I still have some way to go, though.

I am so limited for what I can do regarding exercise, as my heart is in poor condition (several heart attacks and now heart failure) but i needed to lose some weight.  I eat more healthy food options, more salads, fewer carbohydrates (I am also diabetic!) more fish (but I still LOVE my red meat), and an occasional treat (fried bacon, eggs etc).

My wife and I eat out maybe once a month, and we cut out most alcohol, (just a glass of wine with a meal now and only 2 days a week). Most importantly I eat smaller portions - this has trained my stomach to expect less food, and so I feel full more quickly.

In the last year I have lost 22kg (48 pounds)  down from 225 to 178 pounds.  I still have some way to go, though.

That's excellent, Christopher!  You're an example to all of us!  :)

That's excellent, Christopher!  You're an example to all of us!  :)

Thanks for the encouragement, Jules.  I'd just like to add that my wife and I eat as little processed food as possible.  Fresh fruit and fresh vegetables not cooked to oblivion as mum used to do!  Veggies that hold shape and flavour.  Fewer potatoes, usually with a herb dressing, and smaller quantities of rice or couscous.

I didn't expect a dramatic weight loss, it has been gradual but so many people who see me remark on how much better I look for it.  I see my dietitian at hospital in September and, boy!, will she be surprised.

Yes, I think 'vegetables cooked to death' was a staple in the lives of many of us, lol.  Just habit that our parents probably learned from their parents, before we learned that maybe that was just a bit too much.  ;-)

Nana would serve up well done brussell sprouts or well down Cooked cabbage.

the only way I will eat either is I discovered sourKraut recently. on Dr Oz he had an ep on this. He said when you add the Kraut to a say burger its acutally better for you. Has anti cancer and aging. Also helps allieviate bloating.

So there you go,

I love to slightly stir fry like the Asians. Or make dressings.

As for the Brussells I like them done the french way. A litter butter and garlic. add it to them after parboiling them. Or dijon mustard  and a little seeded mustard a splash of white wine vinegar. pepper and salt.

Christopher thanks for being an inspiration,  :thumbsup:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

That sounds a wonderful way to do brussels sprouts, I must try that one.

I love 'zeli' done the Czech way, which is braised cabbage done very like a sauerkraut, using caraway seeds.  It is delicious.  Although this recipe includes bacon, we usually omit that!

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/czechvegetables/r/braisedcabbage.htm

Thanks for the recipe. Yummo. I love caraway seeds. they have a fresh taste in your mouth.

A friend use to make an orange cake and would chuck a good handleful in then put a little cream for serving.
Ooh!!!La La.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Yes, I don't intend to keep taking this off-topic, but my wife makes bread with caraway seeds in it and it is heavenly. Doesn't last long.

Yesterday I made a stew with just six ingredients total and my wife said it was very good.  Sometimes less is more, if you see what I mean.  Few ingredients gives incredible flavour you can really taste

Back on topic, I don't follow any diet - I find many of them fads and see brothers lose weight only to put it back later.  My policy of good food but less of it helps me keep the weight down and puts less stress on my heart.  I need to get down at least another 5-10Kg before I will be happy with my weight.  Just exercising my arms indoors gets me breathless in just a couple of minutes, so it is very limiting.

That sounds a wonderful way to do brussels sprouts, I must try that one.

I love 'zeli' done the Czech way, which is braised cabbage done very like a sauerkraut, using caraway seeds.  It is delicious.  Although this recipe includes bacon, we usually omit that!

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/czechvegetables/r/braisedcabbage.htm

That's similar to something I make with red cabbage, a little bacon fat(!), a little apple cider vinegar, and a little brown sugar!

Congratulations on your weight loss, and fantastic work on making good food choices!

Your situation reminds me so keenly of WHY I want to lose weight now.  Heart attacks run in our family.  Maternal Gran dead at 52, Mom dead at 42, and Maternal Uncle gone 37 (if memory serves regarding his passing).  

I have found that walking is a great way to increase your level of activity.  10 minutes a day, 2 times a day and bang that's 20 minutes of exercise.   I'm guessing you must do a lot of walking.  

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/GettingHealthy_UCM_001078_SubHomePage.jsp  this site is just a wealth of information!!!

I have found that walking is a great way to increase your level of activity.  10 minutes a day, 2 times a day and bang that's 20 minutes of exercise.   I'm guessing you must do a lot of walking.  

My first heart attack was at 46 and came out of the blue (I have a genetic problem with cholesterol and other lipids - I was unaware of this and my levels were astronomical).

I can walk about 200 yards but get breathless and need to stop to rest in that, and cannot stand in one place because of breathing difficulties. I walk very slowly too. It makes the house-to-house work a problem, because I need to lean against the doorpost!  :exclamation:  I am starting to get breathless even in the house, sitting down. 

I have just been refused help by the government because in their opinion I am not "unable or virtually unable to walk"!  The authorities here are really getting tough on disabled people because they are spending too much money on them!

The only option for me is strict food control!  Control the intake to eat fewer calories than my metabolism requires, then my body makes use of the excess fat I was carrying around.  When I reach my optimum weight, I can balance calorific intake with calorific needs and achieve stasis - lol :lol:   I'll be in the new system by then  (I hope) , so I am sure that Jehovah will cure my heart problems miraculously and I can throw away my walking-stick and run around like a child!

:backflip: :backflip: :loopy:

Christopher, I am sure that losing the weight will help.  In the meantime, has your doctor said anything about perhaps using an oxygen concentrator that you can carry with you to help you get the O2 you need? 

Yes, won't it be wonderful when we are all fully healthy again.  Even when we have been in good health in this system, it will seem sickly compared to perfection!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, has anyone had any success?  I have been going to the gym at least 4 times a week, watching what I eat... and I *still* don't feel like I've lost anything.  I certainly don't look like it!  :(

I don't seem to be losing any more weight at the moment, but I do look slimmer.  Maybe the fat is turning to muscle?  :lol2:

I called in my doctors today and the receptionist didn't recognise me!  And I have been going regularly for years.

Re oxygen, I don't think that is considered in UK unless you have very severe breathing difficulties all the time, like with emphysema.

Edited by bohemian

I HAVE!!!! And I am jumping up and down when I say that! I have been swimming -have stopped Zumba for now because of my lack of coordination and balance-but the swimming is definitely working for me. 5 days a week. A minimum of 1. 25 hrs to occ 2 hrs each day. I had a black satin short jacket that I have not been able to wear for years because it gaps,about 2 inches across the bust. Tried it on this morning and it is too big! It actually overlaps about 3 inches. My bras are fitting better too. I had a breast reduction back in 1995 and had approx. 50% reduction. Had been wearing speciality bars. Was in a K cup. Was reduced to a DD cup. I can't tell a change in cup size but have lost across my chest /shoulders/back. All from swimming. I will add weights to me legs in the upcoming weeks to help reduce and strengthen my legs/hips. I was unable to swim an entire lap when I first started and last night I swam almost a mile (a total of 35 laps---down and back is a lap. Someone can calculate that distance for me and let me know the length of the pool please?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I don't seem to be losing any more weight at the moment, but I do look slimmer.  Maybe the fat is turning to muscle?  :lol2:

I called in my doctors today and the receptionist didn't recognise me!  And I have been going regularly for years.

Re oxygen, I don't think that is considered in UK unless you have very severe breathing difficulties all the time, like with emphysema.

If the receptionist didn't recognize you, Christopher, I hope you mean that was in a good way!  :) 

As to fat turning to muscle, is it possible that I'm really starting to develop a 'six-pack' on my upper abdomen, and not just another tummy?  It wasn't there before I started my workouts, lol...

Sorry to hear about the oxygen.  With the trouble you've been having with your heart, I was thinking it was still possible that yours would be below acceptable limits, but it is true that they won't put you on oxygen unless your saturation levels are below a certain point.  Have they checked it while you are up and walking around?  I have a friend who is fine as long as she is sitting, but when she has to talk a lot or gets up to walk anywhere, her O2 sats drop into the low 80's.

I HAVE!!!! And I am jumping up and down when I say that! I have been swimming -have stopped Zumba for now because of my lack of coordination and balance-but the swimming is definitely working for me. 5 days a week. A minimum of 1. 25 hrs to occ 2 hrs each day. I had a black satin short jacket that I have not been able to wear for years because it gaps,about 2 inches across the bust. Tried it on this morning and it is too big! It actually overlaps about 3 inches. My bras are fitting better too. I had a breast reduction back in 1995 and had approx. 50% reduction. Had been wearing speciality bars. Was in a K cup. Was reduced to a DD cup. I can't tell a change in cup size but have lost across my chest /shoulders/back. All from swimming. I will add weights to me legs in the upcoming weeks to help reduce and strengthen my legs/hips. I was unable to swim an entire lap when I first started and last night I swam almost a mile (a total of 35 laps---down and back is a lap. Someone can calculate that distance for me and let me know the length of the pool please?

Congratulations, Leslie!!!  That is FANTASTIC!!  :ecstatic: