JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Diet or Body Boot camp.

I was thinking of posting a topic along these lines.

I am limited physically as to what exercise can do til after Surgery.

So am looking for some buddies who might be interested.

There's Jenny Craig. Weight Watchers etc.

I have started by cutting out alcohol. Most fats and sugars. Trying not to eat after 7.30pm.

Going herbal teas instead. Wasn't sure where to put this topic.

Does anyone want to be in. Try to make it fun. I Will post again.

Anyone have favorite tips & say easy going exercise can recommend. ?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I'm in like skin!  I've been looking for some new motivation.  I've lost 25-30 lbs already.  However, my motivation has waned over the last little while.  Your diet is crucial to weight loss.  I know this because I have played hockey, done belly dance, and martial arts 22 days of the month out of the 30, for several months and I lost NO WEIGHT.  

I did however increase lean muscle mass, and I 'looked' smaller.  Breaking down fat, and building up muscles are opposite processes in the body, so this is why most people recommend losing the weight first, and then building muscle afterwards.  Catch-22 is, is that lean muscle mass burns more calories over all and you get to see results right away.  

So I opted to try to incorporate cardio with hand weights (just a couple of 4lb dumbbells) and I've noticed great definition, but it's been stinking hard.  I don't know how much you have to lose (for me I still have 75lbs I'd like to shed). 

I cannot stress though how important tracking your food is.  I'm on another site called LoseIt.com and this is where I keep track of what I intake for calories.  Here you can spot trends in your eating, and identify problem foods.  

Not only tracking your food, but you need to make sure you're eating enough, and when I say enough, I mean enough from all the food groups.  Lean meats (or if you're vegan, some source of protein), fresh vegetables and fruits, grains and dairy.  So many diet fads are all about removing one portion of the 'daily food guide' and that just isn't good practice.  Your body needs adequate sleep, and it needs lots of water to support the new way of eating. 

It's not a diet, if you eat from those food groups, and you track what you eat, you will lose weight without even exercising.  

Here's a sample of what I eat during a normal day 

1 coffee, 2 cream, 2 sugar - 210 cals

1 multigrain bagel - 300 cals

1 egg white - 50 cals

1 pc cheese - 50 cals

1 pc romaine lettuce - 3 cals

2 pcs bacon - 89 cals

This is higher than I'd like in the sodium, but it gives me a lot of protein which helps me to maintain a sense of fullness longer.  I also calorie load in the mornings, because of my work.  A lot of times I have no time for lunch or a snack until around 2 p.m., after this time.

'Morning' snack

Greek yogurt

Fruit (blueberries/strawberries or peaches) 

Granola - 2 tbsp

4 almonds

(I make parfaits for the husband and I.  1/3 cup blue berries, 6 (1/2 cup) strawberries, greek yogurt, granola, and then almonds for garnish sometimes).  This concoction usually has a grand total of 250 cals

Lunch

Tuna wrap

Ancient grains tortilla wrap 

Spicy thai chili tuna from a can 

Spinach 

Mozza cheese

Pear or apple for fruit 

Total cals under 400 generally 

Afternoon snack

Nuts --- usually almonds (10-15 of them) 150 cals 

Supper

Pork tenderloin 2-3 oz, bbq'd, seasoning salt, or bbq sauce 

Corn

Maple syrup baked brown beans 

Salad of some sort 

Glass of milk 

Total calories 500-600

These items here tally about 2000 calories.  If you're used to eating 5000 calories per day (because you're drinking too many of your calories --- I did this too, I was drinking 1200 calories worth of coffee daily~) you're going to notice the weight fall off.  

Your body will plateau though, so you need to decrease calories as your body gets used to it.  You should NEVER go below 1200 calories though, as your basal metabolic processes (all the things that keep you alive) are in need of that many calories.  

Also, you should NEVER feel hungry.  If you eat at regular intervals, there's no need to starve!  I love the new amount of energy I have.  I can regularly walk 6 km or more, I don't feel as lethargic, and the best of all this, my blood pressure is down :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxPIoTRH1U8

You don't have to do ALL of this, and you can modify it to your abilities.  When I first started these workouts I could only do 7 minutes LOL!!!   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu5c3AJ5_Ok&feature=share&list=UUdqIP13rtnLtCBHCAl79jMw

The first link is better for beginners, the one that is shown above will make your legs ache for days after!  LOL!!!

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Found an easy 10 minutes ab work out. there is also a link to a thigh workout.

Fitness - 10 Minute ab workout - YouTube.htm

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

My settings won't allow me to post as a u-tube video.

Want to join you for 2 reasons... 1. emotional health

2. physical health

I've joined the online weight watchers and a gym. So any tips I come across I'll share. I've got 40 lbs to lose so it will take a while but have so many good clothes to wear once I find my goal. So I'd love to support you on this!! 

Here is a link to a girl with great recipes https://www.facebook.com/theblendergirlpage

post-2301-0-28733400-1373295926.gif

post-2301-0-37499000-1373296057.gif

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

Cool Jewel bring it on :thumbsup:

I have been having dor breaking. Juice.

Nearly mid morning is a replacement meal.

Lunch is a salad. I don't eat much meat Or Breads.

No Pasta.

Dinner for ne cause of winter soup. With Salads.

Cut out salt. & sugars.

Have a small handful of mixed nuts.

Herbal teas or ice teas are refreshing.

I went yesterday and signed up at our local community center (NOT senior center) after a recommendation from one of our brothers who is confined to a WC.  He and his wife go twice a week.  The pool is HUGE, Heated, and has a lift especially for WC people.  It is a therapy pool and a FUN pool to boot.  I went swimming twice yesterday!  Had not been in almost 10 years.  Forgot how much fun it is.  The monthly membership is 25.00 and allows you to attend all other classes.  So I will try Zumba this Thursday at 7pm then swim afterwards.  I think I can do this.  I am posting it here anyway so as a commitment to a form of exercise.  I will try to drink water only for the next 30 days so as a jump start to weight loss with the exercise.  It will be a challenge but I think if I just taste and spit the new product lines the vendors have you sample (much like wine tasting) then I should do okay.  Anyone else doing an exercise log/journal?  Nancy how did your shred (?) go?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I joined a gym last week and am balancing the cycle/treadmill with weights.  I haven't counted calories in awhile.  After school started up last year, I wasn't doing as well as I could have when it came to watching what I ate, but have been doing better since our summer break began in May.  This means high fibre breads and wraps, nuts, fruit, hummus, a little cheese, some pasta, very little meat, and veggies.  I also have a big glass of orange juice every day, to get my potassium, and no more than two cups of tea (got into trouble a couple of summers ago when, between that and the heat, my potassium got out of whack, and I ended up passing out in the middle of the night - it wasn't pretty!).  Also, I graze throughout the day, rather than eat three main meals, and I take a supplement called JuicePlus.  The main thing I try to cut back on is sodium and animal/trans fats.  My goal is, not to lose weight, but to get healthy.  I think the exercise will help me to lose inches.  By not focusing on the weight issue, but on good health habits, I don't worry about feeling hungry or what I can or can't have.  :)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I have avoided this topic long enough. Weight gain for me has never been a problem, until....it is my age, and what goes with it. I am per-diabetic, and if I could loose a lousy ten pounds, I would be one happy camper. I cannot afford to buy new clothes. I would feel better, and look better. More clothing choices.

Get this. I have an elliptical machine in the back bedroom. Talk about lurking. I read this over, and it is information that is timely to me at this point in my life. So, what ever this means, count me in!

And ten pounds may seem like a joke, but it has been just hard. I have not been able to get it off, and talk about frustration. So, you who have lost those pounds, you have my admiration.

We don't buy bread, I don't drink alcohol enough to even mention it. I have given up the hard candies for almonds. Not much red meat. We especially enjoy beans, fixed however, and tofu. Fixed however. Eat hot cereal for breakfast. I put honey and cinnamon in mine. Coffee, black. I think we eat pretty good, but it is not working for me. That machine is my last resort. And I am tired anyway. I know, exercise will give you energy.

I think our downfall is popcorn. If we eat two full meals, that is what we eat in the evening. Gave up ice cream, we did. You get the picture. Sort of desperate.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Almonds while good for you, depending on how many you eat are extremely high in calories.  1 almond is the equivalent of 7 calories, so I portion mine out, usually only eat 15 of them for a total of 105 cals.  

I also own a scale, I weigh my food, in this day and age of over sized portions, you may have become accustomed to eating more than you actually require.  

As for wanting to lose 10lbs, that's a huge loss.  Here's a picture I have of some fat.  I have a sneaking suspicion it will motivate the heck out of all of us, no matter what we want to lose.

post-56-0-23375400-1373522544_thumb.jpg

I know. My husband underwent hiatal hernia repair. His weight has been a huge issue all his life. He lost 30 pounds with this surgery, and we both have tried to keep it off him. Lift a 20 pound sack of potatoes. Poor guy was hauling around a sack and a half! Me, just half of that. But as you said....look at that ten pound hunk of fat. Oh, my comfort food Is Greek yogurt. I do have some full fat stuff in the fridge, I have to admit, but most off the time, it is fat free.

Years ago, I was hooked on Brown Cow Yogurt. Realized it, cut down, way down, and lost five pounds. I love rich high fat foods. Jigs up.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Gurls this is awesome. we need a buddy system. I can't stand watching those judges on the Loser shows,

So Miss Bea I am glad your in. Thanks Sharon you are awesome.

Today was a bad day in this area, But life has to have a bad day here and there,
One thing I have noticed since starting. My eyesight is starting to get more improved. I don't have to depend on my specs to much.

Well one other thing miss Bea, I like about being easy going Is swapping say Mayo for yogurht or cheesey dips for more like Homus and taboulis they are great. with celery and cucumber.

Popcorn is great on its own, but add butter or salt and there you go, bam.

Do you like rice cakes or corn breads They are round and you can add some avocadoe to it instead of butter.

if you like flavor. I found at an Asian shop some fried onions in a jar and add a little to avocadoe or to some yogurht.

Swap more later.

I hate to say this (write it) because if you say it out loud then it makes it true.  I would croak if anyone were to look in my closet.  I have waaaay to many clothes and can only get into a small portion of them.  I have sizes ranging from 5 all the way up to 18.  I am wearing a size 12-14 currently but can never commit to give the large sizes away for fear I will need them again and yet I refuse to give the 5's away because sometimes I stand in my closet and think--"Wow, I use to wear that and thought I was fat then!"  Why do we do these things to ourselves?  Anyway, I went swimming again last night and will be starting my water aerobics class, Zumba, and free swim tonight at 6  ending at 9!  I hate to think about giving up or limiting sugar because frankly that would be almost my whole diet.  I have been drinking water only.  I am going to make a pot of cabbage soup for my husband and myself to eat when we feel like we need something NOW.  Hey, if I have to do this I am going to make him to it to!  He will probably loose his 10 lbs in a few days.  Now that his ability to move has been limited from his knee replacement and other pending surgeries he needs to address this before it becomes 20 lbs to loose.  I hope I am wearing my size 8 by the 1st of November.  That is a goal for me.  Not to fast but it seems doable...Then I am going home and cleaning out my closet.  I will bundle all the clothes together according to size then see if any sisters need them or take them to the Goodwill.  I am going to do this instead of just thinking about doing it.  I have written it so I am commited.  I have set the date for Monday to have this task completed.  

LeslieDean

Well one other thing miss Bea, I like about being easy going Is swapping say Mayo for yogurht or cheesey dips for more like Homus and taboulis they are great. with celery and cucumber.

Yes!  Just start with little switch outs here and there.  It is far less daunting.  Remember that we are not just losing weight.  We are changing our lifestyle for the long run, rather than traveling down the 'quick weight loss' road.  It's all about little steps (unless you have a lot more self-control than I do, lol).  For example, if you are watching your fat intake and you drink whole milk, switch to 2%.  When you get used to that, switch to 1%, then finally to skim.  The Or you can always switch to almond milk.  Use plain Greek yogurt on your baked potato instead of sour cream (I like to add green onions, too).  :chef:

If you have to watch sugar intake, then count the carbs.  All carbs are converted by the body into sugar, so if you have to watch that, make sure to read labels for carbs/sugars.  I should say that with a caveat, however.  If you are eating carbs, stick with whole grain foods rather than those made with refined flour (there's a book that talks about high glycemic/low glycemic foods which is good to read, but you may already have that, Bea).

Drink several glasses of H2O each day, and increase fiber any way you can.  I find that if I eat 30+ grams of fiber before I ever get to my evening meal, I don't want to eat as much. 

OK.  I feel like I'm talking too much, so I'll stop now.<g>

I hate to say this (write it) because if you say it out loud then it makes it true.  I would croak if anyone were to look in my closet.  I have waaaay to many clothes and can only get into a small portion of them.  I have sizes ranging from 5 all the way up to 18.  I am wearing a size 12-14 currently but can never commit to give the large sizes away for fear I will need them again and yet I refuse to give the 5's away because sometimes I stand in my closet and think--"Wow, I use to wear that and thought I was fat then!"  Why do we do these things to ourselves?  Anyway, I went swimming again last night and will be starting my water aerobics class, Zumba, and free swim tonight at 6  ending at 9!  I hate to think about giving up or limiting sugar because frankly that would be almost my whole diet.  I have been drinking water only.  I am going to make a pot of cabbage soup for my husband and myself to eat when we feel like we need something NOW.  Hey, if I have to do this I am going to make him to it to!  He will probably loose his 10 lbs in a few days.  Now that his ability to move has been limited from his knee replacement and other pending surgeries he needs to address this before it becomes 20 lbs to loose.  I hope I am wearing my size 8 by the 1st of November.  That is a goal for me.  Not to fast but it seems doable...Then I am going home and cleaning out my closet.  I will bundle all the clothes together according to size then see if any sisters need them or take them to the Goodwill.  I am going to do this instead of just thinking about doing it.  I have written it so I am commited.  I have set the date for Monday to have this task completed.  

You sound like me, Leslie.  I have far too many clothes, but I don't get rid of any of them, because the minute I do, I will probably either gain or lose 10 pounds!

And you're right about your husband.  When I was younger, my brother and I would go on a diet together.  He would lose 10 lbs. in one week.  That would take me about a month.  :(

I find when my husband is out of town I lose weight.....  lol.  

When he's not around, I don't stop off at our local coffee shop in the morning, so that's 210 - 700 calories gone.  I ate poorly today, had a cup of coffee around 10, a oatmeal/fruit cookie, with a raisin bran muffin.  Going to stop off at the grocery store tonight and pick up some real food....after helping my son move some stuff...which should be good for a few calories, and also doing a bit of service tonight with the group that meets at 6:15 p.m.  

I find when my husband is out of town I lose weight.....  lol.  

When he's not around, I don't stop off at our local coffee shop in the morning, so that's 210 - 700 calories gone.  I ate poorly today, had a cup of coffee around 10, a oatmeal/fruit cookie, with a raisin bran muffin.  Going to stop off at the grocery store tonight and pick up some real food....after helping my son move some stuff...which should be good for a few calories, and also doing a bit of service tonight with the group that meets at 6:15 p.m.  

How is evening service where you are?  Do you have to fight off the mosquitoes like we do?  :(

I had my first Zumba class last night!  My next one will be tomorrow night. I think this exercise program might work for me.  It is the first time I have ever looked forward to going to a gym and I have been swimming at least 1 hr 5 evenings a week and loving it.  Now I will be doing Zumba twice a week evenings and may add an afternoon Zumba class also.  Woo-hoo!  Off to swim now!

LeslieDean