JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Diet or Body Boot camp.

Thanks Brother Christopher,

did you have weight to lose?  how much did you lose on this plan.   it sounds reasonable and do-able.  Dear hubby is also type 2 and his weight is really concerning me.  His tummy required new pants for this summer's DC :(

ok, so I'm new to JW talk and new to this thread.  I was glad to see it because I know I have to get serious about my weight loss and stop my yoyo past.  at 5,6" and 230 lbs, this girl needs to lose sixty lbs.  I have a terrible sweet tooth and don't exercise.  Now we all know JWs move.  we're out in service and lead busy lives, but I need to stop kidding myself and get an exercise program.  I've been told even COs are told to have regular exercise programs. 

I see lots of ideas for diets here, anyone want to be my buddy?  I've been trying to "eat clean" by reducing things with preservatives and pesticides and I can tell some difference in my water retention in my ankles, but lets face it.  My ankles aren't what doesn't fit into my favorite service skirt. ;)  I've started eating "real" foods and I fear that has not helped my weight loss.  What I mean is:  butter instead of artificial spreads or margarine, sugar instead of sweet n low, meats that were not cleared of all fats,  coconut oil instead of Pam,  you get the picture.  Any thoughts on this? 

Truth is I know what I need to do,  no sugars, no breads or pastas and exercise... I just need to motivate this granny with old knees to get movin'

wouldn't you think it would be an appropriate thing to pray for?  don't want it for beauty (ok, maybe a little),  need it to make my health and service to Jehovah better, more energetic, more enjoyable.

And my chubby hubby needs it as much as I do. :ph34r:

any thoughts sisters and brothers?

Try little things at first.  Substitute white bread and pasta with whole wheat/high fibre versions.  Substitute brown rice for white rice.  Cut back on animal fat and sugar (except for fruit).  Eat more veggies.  Drink lots of water.  :)

I think it's easier to incorporate little changes here and there than to just go cold turkey on all the bad stuff!  ;)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

P.S. Also, a long time ago, I started putting a little olive oil on my pasta, along with a little parmesan (sometimes I have tomato sauce, too, for vitamin C and lycopene), instead of slathering it with butter as I used to.<g>

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

• 4 weeks later...

Hey-a gentleman customer told my husband today he was going to have to take me out and buy me some new clothes (jeans were baggy I had on). He is always very nice and never out of line but he said this to Rick and there were about a dozen people sitting at the bar. Rick looked up from the register and very sternly said 'I don't need anyone to buy my wife clothes. I've gotten her anything she wants for the last 25 years and I don 't need any help now,". I was very embarrassed and thought it was uncalled for. I still feel a little bristled by Rick's comment. I feel that it was just a compliment not anything deragotory.

But I am at the point where my jeans could be pulled all the way to my ankles with the zipper and snap done. Now I feel like I have accomplished something!

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I have been drinking one protein shake midmorning by GNC called Lean just because it is easy and has been the only protein shake I have ever liked. I add a banana and 1 T peanut butter and 1/4 c vanilla you art to it///it is really good. Then I eat whatever I want for supper. Unfortunately many times I stop at the Sonic after swimming, I knooooow, and get he-okaywait for it--the Carmel brownie sundae. I can not give up this sweet because I know it will probably not be available to me during TGT and Armageddeon. :-(

But it's working for me at least for now!

LeslieDean

• 2 weeks later...

I swam 1.5 miles for the first time Friday! It took me 1 hr and 15 long minutes! But I did it. The hardest part is the boredom! I asked a man about his waterproof MP3 player and he said it was $150.00 on eBay and he uses it about 3 times a week for the last year. I am about at the point that I have enough confidence in myself that I won't quit this routine so I may invest in one.

Our 28th wedding anniversary is coming up Oct 19 I am hoping I can get into a beautiful black dress I bought years ago for the captains dinner on a cruise we went on. Only wore it the one time so it is like new.

Still know 6 pack but I have almost lost my tummy. Plus the difference in how I feel is what is really amazing. I may never get into the 5s again but I will be giving away my 16, 14, and a few 12's. I am hoping to get into the 8's because that is the majority of my wardrobe.

Hope everyone is making their goals !

LeslieDean

I just bought new jeans today,a size smaller than what I wore before I got pregnant.So I'm very happy:-)

Been drinking 3 skim milks a day,taking 2 tsp of olive oil and eating all the fruits and veggies I want.Plus whole grain pitas made with flour and water...nothing else,and hummus with red peppers or soy butter with honey.Very little meat.Some baked fish.

I allow myself a small bite of any food I want. Just one.But without eating sugar I have very little appetite.

I also switched coffee to green tea with stevia.

I drink 8, 8 ounce fluids.

That's it.I do crunches,lift some weights and walk a couple hours in service everyday.

I feel great!

Should Say GO LeSLIe!! GO Leslie!! You are awesome. Thanks for the encouragement.

I am back on it. At least I can watch what I eat. Still can't exercise for 8 weeks.

I have been making protein shakes. Using  2 eggs. low fat milk, 1 teaspoon honey, Some LSA. a mixture of linseed, almonds, sunflower seeds. ground to a powder. It fills you up & does you good.

eggs are cheaper than the tin powders if one has a budget to follow. 

the rest of the day is salads, with some dip, No bread, butter or anything like that, Some rice at night or  a small scoop of carbs.

& for something sweet I made from frozen strawberries. Added a little milk just enough for the frozen berries to get whizzed.

it became like icecream but healthier. was refreshing.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Should Say GO LeSLIe!! GO Leslie!! You are awesome. Thanks for the encouragement.

I am back on it. At least I can watch what I eat. Still can't exercise for 8 weeks.

I have been making protein shakes. Using  2 eggs. low fat milk, 1 teaspoon honey, Some LSA. a mixture of linseed, almonds, sunflower seeds. ground to a powder. It fills you up & does you good.

eggs are cheaper than the tin powders if one has a budget to follow. 

the rest of the day is salads, with some dip, No bread, butter or anything like that, Some rice at night or  a small scoop of carbs.

& for something sweet I made from frozen strawberries. Added a little milk just enough for the frozen berries to get whizzed.

it became like icecream but healthier. was refreshing.

Thank You!  I can only imagine what Jehovah will do for us in paradise!  My husband and I were talking about the noticable difference that swimming has done for me.  Hey, they don't call it a breast stoke for nothing!  Exercise can rejuvanate and firm things I never thought had a chance till paradise.  Rick and I were recalling when we use to think "I wouldn't trade my body for any ones body"  and when did it go to "I would trade my body for just about any body"?  I guess it isn't too late to see improvement!

LeslieDean

Lookout Americans top Model Leslie's about to beat you LOLS.

It is amazing how good you feel & more energetic you become when you get lighter..

I am looking forward to next year. Will join a gym again..

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

There is absolutely no chance there!  Everyone of those young, beautiful girls don't have a thing to worry about.  But wait till all us sisters get to paradise and Jehovah does his restoration work---our husbands won't stand a chance!

LeslieDean

• 8 months later...

I was watching the news a few days ago. a 90yr ol Lady just started out working at the gym. 

She gave me some inspiration..

I am back at it now. I joined a Gym last week. & have been swimming in the salt water 4 days a week.

Its great fun. its slightly cooler. So hows everyone else doing?

I'm walking, but that's about it.  I did 7.5 km, and 5.0 km on Sunday.  I've dropped about 10lbs, but that's 10lbs I regained of the 25lbs I had lost.

I'm focusing on getting my eating habits under control again.  Smaller portions, no fast food etc.  Increasing activity too.  

I've lost the 10 pounds that I gained while my son was living with me.  Glad he moved out when he did.  I had no energy at all while he was staying with me.  As soon as he moved out, I was back to my old self once again.

I want to lose 5 more pounds.  I'm not in any hurry, so I figured I'd just eat a couple of hundred calories less a day.  Eating only certain kinds of foods or eating smaller portions never really worked for me.  I'd always want foods that I couldn't have on the diet.  By counting calories, I can eat whatever I want.  

I just saw this thread and I too am losing.

I am down 25 pounds since February.

80% of my diet is now vegetables and fruit.  I eat lots of fish and chicken.  Rarely have red meat anymore, but sometimes treat myself.  No more fast food or processed food, and hardly any sugar, just an occasional treat.  Drinking tons of water as well.

I am also walking almost every day.  I reached the 10,000 step mark few weeks back, also have just started walking up and down the stairs.  

My clothes are so loose, I had to buy a few things as my skirts/pants were slipping all the time.  And I am down enough now where people are finally noticing and I'm getting alot of "Have you lost weight"  I love it!!!!

I know we are all different. Way back when, I was whining about some weight I wanted to loose. Took, literally years. I have tried to eat, simple foods. As Jehovah presents them. I have my two cups of coffee in the morning with my husband, then sip on a 16 ounce travel mug of green tea through out the day.

And week ends? I pretty well eat what I want. So, for 5 days a week...and, for me, it has worked. But, it is not a diet. It is the way I have to eat, period. One day, this, too, shall pass.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!