JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

He wants to be the Navy's first humanist chaplain

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3891 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-humanist-chaplain-20130818,0,4527762.story

He wants to be the Navy's first humanist chaplain The Navy hasn't yet responded to Jason Heap's application to be a 'nontheist' humanist chaplain, but Congress is considering a measure to ban atheist chaplains in the military.   The Navy hasn't yet responded to Jason Heap's application to be a 'nontheist' humanist chaplain, but Congress is considering a measure to ban atheist chaplains in the military.

77072818.jpg

A U.S. Navy chaplain in Kuwait leads Marines in prayer before they head off to battle in Iraq in March 2003. Jason Heap says he wants to serve those sailors who don't believe in God. (Rick Loomis, Los Angeles Times / August 17, 2013)

Jason Heap grew up in Texas among Baptists and Lutherans. He earned a master's from Brite Divinity School at Texas Christian University.

Now, at age 38, Heap wants to be a U.S. Navy chaplain. But Heap is a humanist who doesn't believe in God, and the U.S. military has never sanctioned a humanist chaplain. Nor has the Navy acted on Heap's application, filed last month, to become its first approved humanist chaplain.

Heap says he's not trying to make a point or bring attention to himself. He says he wants only to serve his country — and those sailors who don't believe in God and hold what he calls "nontheist" beliefs.

See above link for entire story.  We do not post entire stories here.

Edited by Shawnster

Edited to trim story. Do not post entire stories.

Blind guides is what Jesus called them.  97% of their marks what people are taught in seminaries is not Biblical related and of the 7% that is supposed to be-they don't even have to read the Bible

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

They can't help themselves.  Jehovah created man to worship.  Unfortunately, they (Romans 1:25) . . .exchange the truth of God for the lie and venerate and render sacred service to the creation rather than the One who created. . .

*** w61 7/1 p. 389 Born to Believe in God ***
MEN were born to think about God. They were created to worship and serve their Creator exclusively. This fact the Bible makes clear. (Ex. 20:2-5) Therefore, no matter how hard some men try to dismiss God from their minds, God has a way of coming to the fore in their thoughts.

(Romans 16:18) 18 For men of that sort are slaves, not of our Lord Christ, but of their own bellies; and by smooth talk and complimentary speech they seduce the hearts of guileless ones. 

(Philippians 3:19) . . .their god is their belly, and their glory consists in their shame, and they have their minds upon things on the earth. 

Jehovah gives them up (Romans 1:28) . . .just as they did not approve of holding God in accurate knowledge, God gave them up to a disapproved mental state,. . .

Too bad for them and those that follow them...

Can you imagine that job? Just go to work and collect a check. You don't have to have any answers - just be there to sit and listen. In fact, if you provide reasoning on matters - you wouldn't be a good fit.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I must say something to this article! But it is going to take time for me to stop giggling! Humanist? Rightttt.

A thought that wandered into my mind this morning; if God meant for humans to die, then live in heaven, why even create the first pair? That belief has Satan as it's author, and flies in the face of common sense. God is a god of love, not destruction.

One of my neighbors, here in the housing complex where I live, absolutely hates JW's. This woman won't even glance my way. I am willing to bet a Witness, maybe a family member?, told her the "truth", and she is playing ostrich. I was going to take the trrouble to find out the reason, but realized that Satan can use someone like that to destroy, or damage my spirituality. So, I'll just let her "stew" in her own juice, until she discovers she was sooo wrong! Difficult to even approach someone knowing that their feelings are askew.

Many Thanx for letting me sound off, fellow believers.

Agape' 

I must say something to this article! But it is going to take time for me to stop giggling! Humanist? Rightttt.

A thought that wandered into my mind this morning; if God meant for humans to die, then live in heaven, why even create the first pair? That belief has Satan as it's author, and flies in the face of common sense. God is a god of love, not destruction.

One of my neighbors, here in the housing complex where I live, absolutely hates JW's. This woman won't even glance my way. I am willing to bet a Witness, maybe a family member?, told her the "truth", and she is playing ostrich. I was going to take the trrouble to find out the reason, but realized that Satan can use someone like that to destroy, or damage my spirituality. So, I'll just let her "stew" in her own juice, until she discovers she was sooo wrong! Difficult to even approach someone knowing that their feelings are askew.

Many Thanx for letting me sound off, fellow believers.

Agape' 

I find that with someone like your neighbor it's the VERY BEST thing to prove who we are by letting time go by. A brother answered at meeting last night this very thing. His neighbor was really negative (being nice here) eventually the neighbor got sick and needed help, nobody came to help but this brother. There was a change of heart, not much, but at least a softening. I've had this happen to me as well, I've won some over just by being nice no matter what. Not gullible, but nice.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Our Bible reading last night, eh? Keep conquering the evil with the good and heap firely coals on his ead - Rom 12:17-21.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)