JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hmm.  I have a "short story" that I started about David, ending with killing Goliath.  It's been in my computer, untouched, for about 5 years.  I kept re-writing and editing and finally I just didn't have any time left for it.  I also was only about a third of the way through and it was already at about 50 pages, so I guess it's not a short story anymore.   :uhhuh:

Maybe I should take it up again.

Definitely!

Even if still develops into a never-ending story (haha) the time spent is your spiritual activity / personal study project. Scrutinizing the last details of the illustrations in our publications to get visual input of the times, wear, surrounding, diving into the insight book will give your story more details and keeps you busy studying at the same time ;-)

Everyone has some artistic outlet, be it drawing, knitting or writing stories.

Definitely!

Even if still develops into a never-ending story (haha) the time spent is your spiritual activity / personal study project. Scrutinizing the last details of the illustrations in our publications to get visual input of the times, wear, surrounding, diving into the insight book will give your story more details and keeps you busy studying at the same time ;-)

Everyone has some artistic outlet, be it drawing, knitting or writing stories.

Yes, I remember it was pretty fun to write.  I did a lot of research into different historical aspects of the time.  I think I will dust it off and take a look at it.  

Maybe I will post the first chapter somewhere, and get some feedback on it for revision, editing, etc.

Thanks for awakening this in me; I think I will try again.   :)

• 3 weeks later...

how do you  publish a book

i am writing a book now its on kidney dialysis

but i all so rote a short store to new system and star trek i posted on a other DB

Publishing, if you want to go the "independent way" (no agent etc.), then the options I can tell You about are createspace.com (Amazon Company) and Kindle Direct Publishing (also Amazon). There are others, but CreateSpace and Kindle are the ones I can honestly say I am glad I used.

Its pretty straightforward:

CreateSpace

• Create a (free) account on CreateSpace if you want to have your book in print form.
  • You login, start a "Project", in this case a book, and just start filling out the necessary fields like description, author(s), etc.
  • Upload your manuscript.
  • Pick the book size (you can download Word templates (I highly recommend using them unless you are a Word print genius: there are tons of options that you would have to set by yourself that -look- easy at the beginning).
  • There is a cover creator where you can use a few templates with different fonts and styles, or you can upload your own.
  • You can choose what channels you want your book sold over (Amazon US / Europe, Libraries and many others).
  • Set your price (the minimum price will displayed: this is what they have in material costs and of course, their own piece of your cake).
  • When done, you can complete your book setup and they will have a look-over within about 1-3 days and then give their ok (they just have to make sure you arent publishing something objectionable, or your cover / text isnt completely off).
  • Then, your book will appear in the Amazon store(s) also within 1-3 days. You also have the option to link to your Kindle book if you have one.
  • If you have pictures, make them high-resolution (at least 300dpi). Shoddy pictures look even worse when printed.
  • I do that: it lets shoppers pick which version they want (they are displayed in "one" product).
  • Which brings us to:

KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing)

Same procedure basically.

• Login and create a free account
  • Fill out the description fields
  • pick the categories (2) your book best fits in.
  • Upload your manuscript.
  • Use the cover creator or upload your own cover
  • Set the price (35% or 70% royalties: should be a no-brainer, but read the fine print and see what best fits you)
  • Check your manuscript in the online previewer or offline. This is where it starts to get ugly.
  • In my opinion, download the previewer program and preview it there. The  online version is a bit "iffy".
  • I am 100% sure you are going to be like: "What? Why does it scramble up my text like that?"
  • Youll have to experiment with what best works for your manuscript: page breaks or no page breaks, soft carriage returns, etc in your manuscript.
  • Since the text / text flow looks different on a Kindle Fire, or iPad, iPhone or whatever, try them out (you can choose them in the previewer).
  • If you have pictures, make them high-resolution (at least 300dpi). Shoddy pictures look even worse when printed.

Hope I could give some insight.

I chose the "mainstream" Amazon way because:

• Amazon has a wide audience.
  • Its a store that almost everyone knows and trusts (I hate signing up with a store i probably will never visit again).
  • The integrated rating system.
  • The hassle-free payment system
  • The easy-going shipping system / print on demand / download system.
  • The reporting. you can view your sales fairly easily. The CreateSpace reporting is better than the Kindle (same company, come on, STANDARDIZE, people, puhleeze).

There. my 75 cents. Hope it helped.

Edited by David Crayne