JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Comfort food

When I have been sick either physically, emotionally, mentally, there is always one thing that I really long for that always soothes things away and makes me feel better.  Mashed potatoes.  Never instant.  Always the yellow youkon or the creamy gold butter potatoes.  Mashed with lots of real butter, a little roasted garlic, heavy whipping cream and some cream cheese (or sour cream or buttermilk)  one of those three--with lots of freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt.  

I am thinking for many people (Vernalee?) they might take to chocolate.  What is your comfort food?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Nothing like a good shot of ice, whisky & coke. that will comfort me.  B) lols..

Mum makes this wicked chicken soup.Its been past down the line from Nana etc...

I like to make a Potato bake with the grilled cheese on top. Maybe add like cooked savoury  mixed mince

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

The mashed potatoes sounds good to me. But, it doesn't matter to me if they are gold, Yukon, russet or even red ... skin still on. I also want some good gravy to go with those spuds.

:idea:

I have a chuck roast sitting in the fridge right now with seasoning on it.

:chef:

In the morning I will put it in the slow cooker with some celery, carrots, onions, garlic and spuds    it will cook most of the day ... supper will taste good :thumbsup: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I love the slow cookers John,  they are awesome.

sounds like a great yummy dish you'll be serving up. 

I did one similar a fortnight ago for some friends, she lost her father. & she is married to an Italian.

so kinda did it more Italian. & served it up with a bake potato & ricotta cheese, oregano. garlic, sundried tomatoes. & parmasean cheese inbetween as well as the cheese on the top. & I added some greek olives & spanish onions.,So it was all layered.. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

The mashed potatoes sounds good to me. But, it doesn't matter to me if they are gold, Yukon, russet or even red ... skin still on. I also want some good gravy to go with those spuds.

:idea:

I have a chuck roast sitting in the fridge right now with seasoning on it.

:chef:

In the morning I will put it in the slow cooker with some celery, carrots, onions, garlic and spuds    it will cook most of the day ... supper will taste good :thumbsup:

I love it when brothers cook!! My hubby cooks too which I appreciate deeply.

All food is comforting to me.........hahahahah.

My go to food though is a toasted cheese sandwich with bologna.  I have eaten cheese sandwiches for as long as I can remember, when I was younger and my mom would pack something other than a cheese sandwich, I wouldn't eat it.  

My go to salty snack are Hawkin's Cheezies usually.   My husband was away for two weeks recently and I found myself digging into spicy, hot and chocolately types of snacks.... ie. doritos (inferno), ferrero roche etc.  I felt physically ill after.  Funny, I was just looking online for some 'fitness' motivation and I come here and see comfort food......LOL

Perhaps if I ate LESS of the comfort food, I wouldn't need to be so motivated to be more fit :P  

You are absolutely correct Gabe. Toss some mixed beans and extra firm tofu with a little ground turkey and spices and pepper and green onion and sauce and Who boy you have the makings for a delicioso go back for seconds winter chili. I'm with you on that Sharon but especially Golden Crinkle fries with lots of ketchup and black pepper and always always Sweet Potato Soufle! It has to be the healthiest comfort food around. And grilled cheese sandwicheS...mercy. Living here in the South has not been good from day one.  I also tried five cheese mac n cheese and loved it. But personally think it is for small children.  Speaking of food I still wonder why we were given cotton to grow but not to eat.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Luana!  You make me smile...Chicken Bouillon, really?  Can it at least be homemade stock?  The little cubes are just so salty they leave me gagging.  But I do like it when you have been in the hospital for a few days, then they remove that NG tube from your nose, then you take that first sip of lukewarm salty bullion, mmmmm!  Even bullion tastes good then!  You must teach me how you make yours!

You remind me to appreciate the simple things in life.  I need this reminder more and more.  Thank you sis

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shelia. Thats wickedly awesome. I havent done that since I was a kid. but so fun. thanks for the reminder. Yummo.

• 2 weeks later...