JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Learning A New Language

I have wanted to learn Spanish for many years now.  I have seen the advertisements on tv for the program to learn but it is not in our budget.  (not much is these days).  I just found out that there is an on-line site called Mango that you can use and if I go through the on-line portal that our library has it is FREE!  If you haven't checked out the services offered by your local library system you might want to. They even have Greek and Hebrew!   Below is the link to their site to see what is available.  Not sure of cost if not used in conjunction with your library.  

http://http:www.mangolanguages.com/mango/big-news-user/

Hi Sister Julie,  the BBC (UK) also have free language courses.   Dont know how good they are but I presume they'd be pretty good.  The courses are online and have online tutorials too - I've been meaning to resume a Russian language course I started years ago and the BBC offers that quite a few other languages.

The link to their Spanish course is................  http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/ 

I prefer the Pimsleur audio CD's and companion books. As a spanish speaker, I feel confident in recommending them because I've reviewed their entire spanish course. And other languages use pretty much the same curriculum and teaching format. Each lesson is 30 minutes long. You do one lesson a day. They teach you to say something, and you repeat it back to them. Sometimes they ask you questions, and you have a limited time to answer based on what you know. Then they tell you what you should have said. The reading portion has you follow along in a book as a native speaker reads different words aloud. Pimsleur can be a little pricy though. So you may want to see if your library has their stuff.

I can second the recommendation for duolingo and memrise.

Duolingo has many languages available (but not the one I needed), however the content is not programable; you use what's provided. 

Memrise is an advanced flashcard system which will quiz you in many different ways. You can make your own lessons, which is a "plus" for me, so I can make the content more theocratic. I've been inputting the "Listen to God" brochure, which gives me something to talk about in the target language besides the weather.

• 2 weeks later...