JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

SPANISH BIBLE

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3762 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The way I understand it, there will not be one. At the annual meeting, it was said it will only be in English.

However, I received a video from a brother in Russia who has a new grey NWT Bible in Russian! However, I don't know if it's an updated translation.

The way I understand it, there will not be one. At the annual meeting, it was said it will only be in English.

However, I received a video from a brother in Russia who has a new grey NWT Bible in Russian! However, I don't know if it's an updated translation.

If I recall correctly they said they would produce new bibles in other languages also, at the very least with the new features, not necessarily with so many changes in the translation as the English

Don't expect it to be any time soon though...

From my notes taken during the AGM:

Answers to Questions:

Other languages - At present only in English. Congregations will be informed as additional languages gradually become available.

By the way, this Sunday, the whole of Italy will be following a program in streaming originating at the Bethel in Rome. Bro. Anthony Morris of the Governing Body will be visiting. It's not a zone visit. The letter we had read out to us at our meeting about a month ago sounded very similar to the letters about the AGM. I couldn't help wondering if we were going to get the new Bible in Italian at this meeting!

However, I have a friend in the service department at Bethel so I asked him. He laughed, then said (sadly), "No, it will be a long time yet before we get the Bible in Italian!"

Use your ears to gain understanding and your tongue to heal. -w13 5/15 p. 22

I understood that the bibles in other languages will receive the same cover as the revised NWT. However the text remains unchanged.

It will take 4-5 yrs to make revised versions in other languages. Many branches are busy making the arrangements.

The translation teams in germany will need around 4 years for the new version. But it will come!

That number came directly from them? It seems rather high since the whole work of making the new bible took 5 years... And with all the advances in translation that the FDS is putting their efforts into I would expect less time...

When the site started I noticed a delay on having the material in Portuguese compared to the English, nowadays almost everything appears at the same time :)

But I gladly wait whatever it takes to have it in Portuguese also ;)

In my opinion, i dont think it will take more than two years to some languages have their Bibles. Just see it that way; i remember a brother telling me that when the new songbook was been written; as SOON AS A SONG WAS READY IN ENGLISH, they would send them to the translation team to be translated. So the translators didnt have to wait until they had the 135 songs completed for them to start their job.

I think the same process is made with the Bible: as soon as a new book, or group of chapters was ready they would send it to translators. So I'm pretty sure that some NWTs are almost ready or even completed already!! In Brazil, another GB member is visiting the last Sunday of this month, just like in Italy: sound curious!! Haha.

The Bibles I see coming soon would be: spanish, french, italian, portuguese, german.

An INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION is the perfect place to release the NWT simultaneously in some languages.

In my opinion, i dont think it will take more than two years to some languages have their Bibles. Just see it that way; i remember a brother telling me that when the new songbook was been written; as SOON AS A SONG WAS READY IN ENGLISH, they would send them to the translation team to be translated. So the translators didnt have to wait until they had the 135 songs completed for them to start their job.

I think the same process is made with the Bible: as soon as a new book, or group of chapters was ready they would send it to translators. So I'm pretty sure that some NWTs are almost ready or even completed already!! In Brazil, another GB member is visiting the last Sunday of this month, just like in Italy: sound curious!! Haha.

The Bibles I see coming soon would be: spanish, french, italian, portuguese, german.

An INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION is the perfect place to release the NWT simultaneously in some languages.

That's a good thought but bible making is not the same as the song book or any other publication because the books are surely intertwined! Idon't imagine they finishing a book and going to the next but rather going forth and back several times

Yeah but we also need to remember that the bible is assigned to a totally different team of translators: +5 persons. In fact the job can be done faster.

The reason i tell you i feel thats the way they do it its because when we got the bible in the haitian creole field in 2010, we already had a lot of the new features and expressions changed. If the brothers didnt send those changes or directions as soon as they were made, we would still have a bible with old wording.

The creole translation started in mid 2007 while the revision started in 2008. Yet we got an updated Bible. Do you get the point? They had to work it out almost simultaneously

Thank you all!

I am in a spanish congregation..my hubby is colombian. I do have the english version as a sister in an english congregation ..knowing it is my mother tongue ordered one for me. ( so blessed) But I can't wait for spanish..I wonder it it will be different..either way just having all the addtional parts fro service is great...

It's like having a mini reasoning book with your bible.

Are all languages going to be revised?

It was my understanding that as translations were being produced in other languages, it became clear that the English needed updated. The new English bible is essentially a modern translation of the 1950/60 English one. As long as the other language editions are still suitable for people who speak such languages, there is no need to revise them.

What they do need is a grey cover and the added features.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Not all languages will necessarily have a major revision of the Bible text; but trust me guys: spanish will be a huge job! Sometimes i read the Bible in Spanish and i dont even get it because of the wording. I think I will be delighted when i have that jewl in my hands.

However, a lot of languages will need a few changes such as: fornication to sexual inmorality; loving-kindness to loyal love, time indefinite to forever, soul to the different meanings depending on the context., Sheol and Hades to the Grave, able-bodied man to just man, Sons of Israel to Israelites, etc. I guess it all will depend on the language itself in which the Bible will be translated.

Anyways, we will be happy to show patience and wait until our dear brothers and sisters working hard on it complete their task.

Are all languages going to be revised?

It was my understanding that as translations were being produced in other languages, it became clear that the English needed updated. The new English bible is essentially a modern translation of the 1950/60 English one. As long as the other language editions are still suitable for people who speak such languages, there is no need to revise them.

What they do need is a grey cover and the added features.

And definitely the 6 new places of Jehovah's name at the very least ;)

Yeah but we also need to remember that the bible is assigned to a totally different team of translators: +5 persons. In fact the job can be done faster.

The reason i tell you i feel thats the way they do it its because when we got the bible in the haitian creole field in 2010, we already had a lot of the new features and expressions changed. If the brothers didnt send those changes or directions as soon as they were made, we would still have a bible with old wording.

The creole translation started in mid 2007 while the revision started in 2008. Yet we got an updated Bible. Do you get the point? They had to work it out almost simultaneously

Ok, I got your point ;)

5 years to translate the Bible as a team ?

That seems huge, I could do the whole revision by myself in one year if I had the time to.

I have great expectations for this year international convention, ho yes.

I dream of doing my own translation, but 5 years by myself would not be enough. The key thing you said was "if I had the time" and quite likely I never will :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

A Friend of mine told me that a Brother from Selters Germany was in his congregation visiting an old Brother that pioneered his entire life. He had a Dutch version of the NWT with him with a grey cover. It was the new translation. The Dutch version definitely needs an update, since we have a lot of words in it that we don't use in our daily speech. It is only used in the Bible, so many people don't understand those words.

Yes my Mum (Russian cong.) has this Bible also. Looks just like ours from the outside. But inside you see the difference - no "little reasoning book", no Appendix A, no Appendix B asf

A closer look gives the clue. It's the translation of 2008, so it is already an update but it is not our 2013 editionpost-3742-0-47527100-1388936531_thumb.jppost-3742-0-95401000-1388936571_thumb.jp

If Satan reminds you of your past remind him of his future.

Not all languages will necessarily have a major revision of the Bible text; but trust me guys: spanish will be a huge job! Sometimes i read the Bible in Spanish and i dont even get it because of the wording. I think I will be delighted when i have that jewl in my hands.

Juan, I absolutely agree with you. Spanish is my mother tongue, and yet very often our translation is hard to understand because it's too verbose and the grammar is awkward, with word constructions copied literally from English. Very often I understand better a verse in the Romanian version than in my own language.

Spanish was the second language the NWT was translated into, back in the sixties. Not only the language has changed a lot in fifty years, also translation guidelines were very different then. The translators were so afraid of departing from the English text that often they translated word by word, giving as a result ungrammatical syntax.

I have a Bible student in Spanish who is a teenager, and I often resort to simpler translations because he will not understand the NWT at all. And for several years now all the articles in our magazines that are addressed to young people quote from several modern translations rather than the NWT.

I guess the situation is similar with other translations finished several decades ago, such as Portuguese, Dutch, French, German...

The Romanian version, though, that is from 2006, is much nicer to read and already has a lot of the revised renderings.

Juan, I absolutely agree with you. Spanish is my mother tongue, and yet very often our translation is hard to understand because it's too verbose and the grammar is awkward, with word constructions copied literally from English. Very often I understand better a verse in the Romanian version than in my own language.

Spanish was the second language the NWT was translated into, back in the sixties. Not only the language has changed a lot in fifty years, also translation guidelines were very different then. The translators were so afraid of departing from the English text that often they translated word by word, giving as a result ungrammatical syntax.

I have a Bible student in Spanish who is a teenager, and I often resort to simpler translations because he will not understand the NWT at all. And for several years now all the articles in our magazines that are addressed to young people quote from several modern translations rather than the NWT.

I guess the situation is similar with other translations finished several decades ago, such as Portuguese, Dutch, French, German...

The Romanian version, though, that is from 2006, is much nicer to read and already has a lot of the revised renderings.

I know Carlos, right? Thats why i hope the new revision comes out soon. I really hope they change de way they would use a personal pronoun after and object instead of a possessive pronoun: "las cualidades de Èl" should be just "Sus cualidades" or "los hijos de ellos" should be "sus hijos". And hope they put easier words on the text itself.