JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Frank Sinatra and.....

Ever seen this fella? He's incredible. I understand he's performing in Vegas this week. Wish I could go. 

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Max_Raabe

Then has anyone listened to Jack Jones? From the 60's but at 71 he's still touring. I was listening to Frank Sinatra channel on the Sirius and heard him this morning, WOW outstanding. Having the names and song titles listed when you hear the music helps, I would never have guessed it was Jack, sounded like Frank.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Mentioning some of these singers from yesteryear reminds me of Slim Whitman. He was one of the first to use the 1-800 method to sell his music/albums on the TV.

Some interesting things about him:

Legacy

The late American pop singer Michael Jackson cited Whitman as one of his ten favorite vocalists. Beatle George Harrison cited Whitman as an early influence: "The first person I ever saw playing a guitar was Slim Whitman, either a photo of him in a magazine or live on television. Guitars were definitely coming in." When a young Paul McCartney purchased his first guitar, the left-handed musician was unsure how to play an instrument that was manufactured and strung for a right-handed player. It wasn't until McCartney saw a picture of Whitman playing left-handed that he re-strung his guitar so that he too could play left-handed.

The 1996 film Mars Attacks! features Whitman's rendition of "Indian Love Call" as a weapon against alien invaders. In 2003, Rob Zombie used Whitman's song "I Remember You" in his movie directorial debut in House of 1000 Corpses

Now, I only mention this because

Personal life

After 1957 Whitman lived at his estate Woodpecker Paradise, in Middleburg, a city located south of Orange Park, Florida, in Clay County

I often work just down the road from this house. I have driven past it too many times to count.

Also, before the road that runs through Middleburg was widened, when it was a small two-lane country road - and, before name-brand convenience stores were everywhere (this was in the late 60's and early 70's) there was a small mom-and-pop store where he used to sit on the porch and play his guitar and talk to anyone who talked to him. He was a very polite, nice and friendly man. He never came off as rich, successful, important or any of the other things many people do who are "stars".

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

...   I was listening to Frank Sinatra channel on the Sirius and heard him this morning, WOW outstanding. Having the names and song titles listed when you hear the music helps, I would never have guessed it was Jack, sounded like Frank.

Oh my Cheryl, I had no idea you and others like Francis Albert Sinatra   ...  http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/14332-fds/#entry204977  ...  remember some of the names/titles he had over the years?   ...  like "The Voice"   ...   "Chairman of the board"    ..... Remember others?  ...     when he was very young he wore a BOW-TIE, nice to see them coming back   ....   "Frankie"

Edited by timpin

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my Cheryl, I had no idea you and others like Francis Albert Sinatra   ...  http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/14332-fds/#entry204977  ...  remember some of the names/titles he had over the years?   ...  like "The Voice"   ...   "Chairman of the board"    ..... Remember others?  ...     when he was very young he wore a BOW-TIE, nice to see them coming back   ....   "Frankie"

... seems like we got sidetracked for a while - even in England they Have the Royal Albert Hall ... now we're talking music! ... https://www.facebook.com/sinatra Of course I'd like to have dibs on teaching him the truth - Imagine listening to him sing Kingdom melodies! * I could rap my head around that. ~ 7 decades of Sinatra.

may you all have peace my brothers .. T

Edited by timpin

He was another that I was not allowed to listen to. My father said that he was a bad influence. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Mentioning some of these singers from yesteryear reminds me of Slim Whitman. He was one of the first to use the 1-800 method to sell his music/albums on the TV.

I used his TV album to punish my kids on a long trip. If they didn't behave in the car, in went the Slim Whitman tape. Worked every time.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 1 year later...

"Old Blue-Eyes"

speaking of   ... http://www.cbs.com/shows/grammys/frank-sinatra-100/

on his grave it says "The Best is yet to come"   ...  think he knows something!

Imagine him singing a swinging song like 142!

https://www.facebook.com/sinatra

Imagine how well he would do singing swinging Kingdom melodies like 142! Did u know that on his grave it says "the best is yet to come"   ...   think he knows something?

Edited by timpin

Here is the full lineup:

"All The Way" – Celine Dion
"The Best Is Yet To Come" – Adam Levine
"I'll Be Seeing You" – Trisha Yearwood
"In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning" – Nick Jonas
"I've Got A Crush On You" – Alicia Keys
"I've Got The World On A String" – Tony Bennett
"The Lady Is A Tramp" – Garth Brooks
"Luck Be A Lady" – Harry Connick, Jr. 
Medley: "Change Partners," "One Note Samba," "The Girl From Ipanema" – Juanes 
Medley: "Come Fly With Me," "Bewitched," "Stars Fell On Alabama," "Learning The Blues" – Zac Brown, Seth MacFarlane, Carrie Underwood 
Medley: "Saturday Night (Is The Loneliest Night Of The Week)," "I Get A Kick Out Of You," "You Make Me Feel So Young," "My Kind Of Town," "You And Me (We Wanted It All)" – Harry Connick, Jr., John Legend, Adam Levine, Katharine McPhee
"My Funny Valentine" – Sam Smith
"One For My Baby (And One More The Road)" – Seth MacFarlane
"Someone To Watch Over Me" – Carrie Underwood
"That's Life" – Usher
"Theme From New York, New York" – Lady Gaga
"The Way You Look Tonight" – Zac Brown
"Young At Heart" – John Legend

"This show is an amazing journey through Frank Sinatra's music, cast with some of today's greatest artists," said three-time GRAMMY winner Don Was, music director for the concert. "In paying homage to Mr. Sinatra's music and treating his legacy with the utmost respect, most of the artists will sing arrangements as originally crafted for Mr. Sinatra by giants Don Costa, Gordon Jenkins, Quincy Jones, and Nelson Riddle. It's going to be an incredible show!"

Edited by timpin

• 3 weeks later...

Ever seen this fella? He's incredible. I understand he's performing in Vegas this week. Wish I could go. 

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Max_Raabe

Then has anyone listened to Jack Jones? From the 60's but at 71 he's still touring. I was listening to Frank Sinatra channel on the Sirius and heard him this morning, WOW outstanding. Having the names and song titles listed when you hear the music helps, I would never have guessed it was Jack, sounded like Frank.

Frank's the best!