JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Windows 8.1

My Brother and one of my Daughters both have computers with Windows 8. They have both been ignoring the requests by the computer to upgrade to 8.1

Since I am still using XP :shrugs: I wasn't sure what to tell them.

I don't want to start a shoulda/coulda/woulda discussion of the merits of one OS over another or to change "brands" of computer or OS - just want some clear, forthright direction as to if 8.1 is a good idea if you already have 8?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Updating from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 is free. Upgrading from Windows XP to any other Windows is not free. Are they giving any reason as to why they do not want to update? In fact, there is another update coming out Tuesday called "Windows 8.1 Update" that will replace the "Windows 8.1" in the Windows Store, so they won't be able to get those new features either without updating.

Windows 8.1 has major stability/compatibilities upgrades. The latest upgrade is supposed to put a real functioning start button back in. If not then there is always free IObit's start menu -Free

Haven't updated yet 8.1 to 8.1 update

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

If you have 7 or older, I suggest sticking with it as long as Microsoft keeps publishing security updates (currently scheduled to end in 2017 for Vista, and 2020 for Windows 7).

If you have 8, I suggest going to the latest possible version, because there are a lot of security and stability issues in the first few revisions, and sticking with the old version could invite hackers or viruses.

Our household has 2 laptops - one with Windows 7 and the other 8.1

Personally, I find 8.1 difficult without a touch screen. If your machine does NOT have one - put in 7 - IMO.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have windows 8, where do I go to update?

go to the "store" and there will be a free update to 8.1

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Update must show in store. If not, then you are missing a file.

I use the Free windows start menu from IObit and have it show control panel as a menu.

Another secret is to lower how much your recycle bin uses. Personally I lower setting to 1 Gb on main partition and deactivate it for all other drive partitions, especially since there are currently 3 OS on my computer. 30 Gb not wasted by recycle bin on my setup, plus none on my external drives.

Updates need cleaned of junk files beforehand, a good internet connection - wired is best, plus a fresh cold reboot to make sure ram is free.

Even then it may take a long time to download & install. Do a full backup of C drive 1st then backup updated c drive - saves problems with transferring licence to 8.1 upgrade.

Sounds like too much work and both my brother and daughter do NOT have touch screens.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I would clearly recommend updating to Windows 8.1. A lot of stability improvements all over the OS. I. E. the store, that gets more user friendly.

Start from a cold boot and log in to store immediately. Then download the update. It's about 3 gb, so the download takes some time.

Sendt fra min GT-N7000 med Tapatalk

If you're concerned about the menu system in Windows 8 I'd just wait until a future release (maybe 8.2 or 8.3.) They're suppose to be making it more classic like Windows 7. I think enough users complain until they got what they wanted. They definitely lost a good amount of their user base too. The Windows 8 from 7 jump was too drastic for most. So they're going to nudge and stagger you stragglers into change. You'll see. LOL

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

Sounds like too much work and both my brother and daughter do NOT have touch screens.

Neither do I have a touch screen except on my pda & this tablet. I use a mouse and IObit free start menu to mimic win 7 start menu. Works great.

Update must show in store. If not, then you are missing a file.

I use the Free windows start menu from IObit and have it show control panel as a menu.

Another secret is to lower how much your recycle bin uses. Personally I lower setting to 1 Gb on main partition and deactivate it for all other drive partitions, especially since there are currently 3 OS on my computer. 30 Gb not wasted by recycle bin on my setup, plus none on my external drives.

Updates need cleaned of junk files beforehand, a good internet connection - wired is best, plus a fresh cold reboot to make sure ram is free.

Even then it may take a long time to download & install. Do a full backup of C drive 1st then backup updated c drive - saves problems with transferring licence to 8.1 upgrade.

I found my control panel, not sure what IObit is but definitely can't find my recycle bin. 

idea what a iobit is.  :shrugs:

I just asked a brother in my hall about this update on Windows 8.1.  He told me to keep still and not worry.  I have Windows 7, and not XP.  XP as of April 8, 2014, will no longer be supported with patches or updates.   It was on the news last week.  I got worried and emailed the brother and he advised not to worry.  Like above, one person in here stated that Windows 7 will not need massive changes till 2020.  All I heard so far about Windows 8, isn't as good as Windows 7.    Am hoping Jehovah's Kingdom will be here before 2020! Do ya think?  YEAH!

IObit is a software company. They have a free start menu with button for win 8.x

I use it with my 8.1 setup and in desktop view it looks like win 7 start menu. I have the control panel setup as a menu ( don't have more windows opened ) the same as my win 7 setups with control panel as a dropdown menu in start menu.

Works great.

In win 7 to get this feature - right click on taskbar, advanced settings choose cp as menu apply.

Now as for win 8.x it is faster than win 7, plus has better compatability with my all time fav program - Drag n' File Gold filemanager which has not been updated since 2002.

Edited by pnutts