JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Anything" is a bit of an exaggeration.  Here, in a nutshell, is what is correct:

We won't go into depth over the ins and outs of online piracy here, suffice to say that in order to stay on the right side of the law, any content you do download from the web, for which you do not own the copyright, must be for your personal use only. You must not distribute or financially benefit from that content. It must also come with the express permission of the copyright owner.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/internet/3420353/is-it-legal-download-youtube-videos/#ixzz33btnx5DZ

In other words, it's OK to download a video from YouTube for your own personal enjoyment.  You can even let someone else watch the video.  However, if you plan to sell the video to someone else, that violates the copyright law.  If you download the video then send it out to a bunch of people through an email, that's frowned upon, too.  

It's the same thing as recording a TV show on a video tape or DVR or recording a song off the radio.  If you are doing it for yourself, it's OK.  If you're doing it to sell to other people and make money off of the sale, then it's illegal.

"Anything" is a bit of an exaggeration.  Here, in a nutshell, is what is correct:

In other words, it's OK to download a video from YouTube for your own personal enjoyment.  You can even let someone else watch the video.  However, if you plan to sell the video to someone else, that violates the copyright law.  If you download the video then send it out to a bunch of people through an email, that's frowned upon, too.  

It's the same thing as recording a TV show on a video tape or DVR or recording a song off the radio.  If you are doing it for yourself, it's OK.  If you're doing it to sell to other people and make money off of the sale, then it's illegal.

How do you download a you tube video? I have only saved the URL link to my clipboard..Is emailing a video link to a friend OK?

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

There are so many clips on youtube that have no copyright. Downloading these is ok but what about those clips with copyright background music?

Obed, if you feel it would be wrong, please do NOT go against your conscience by downloading from there. 

http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2005723

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

There are so many clips on youtube that have no copyright. Downloading these is ok but what about those clips with copyright background music?

Obed, if you feel it would be wrong, please do NOT go against your conscience by downloading from there. 

http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2005723

As Jerry said, if it bothers your conscience, then don't do it.  However, copyright laws are in place to protect the creator from people profiting off of their work.  If someone has posted a video to youtube, they want others to watch it.  Now, if you go and SELL the videos you download, that is a violation of the copyright.  If you download the video for your own personal enjoyment, you are not violating any copyright laws.

It's all in the motive.  If you intend to sell the videos and make money off of something you did not create, then that would be a violation of the copyright statute.  If you're doing it so that you can watch the video later when you do not have access to the Internet, then you are within your rights to do so.  But only if it doesn't bother your conscience.

How do you download a you tube video? I have only saved the URL link to my clipboard..Is emailing a video link to a friend OK?

Chuck shared a link you may find interesting.  Emailing the video link is not a violation of the copyright.  That is free advertisement.  That is the whole purpose of people putting videos on Youtube.  They want you to send links and tell your friends to go watch it.

Just remember copyright laws are all about money.  The video makers don't want you to make money off of their videos.  If you're not making a profit and you're only watching it yourself, you're OK.

Edited by Shawnster

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I love converting the music lyrics vids into mp3 for my mp3 player. Especially when I find edited songs - I'm very picky about songs and something that might not bother someone else could possible drive me batty so when I find an edited version of a song I want it goes on my mp3 player. However I wouldn't sell it. Also, file sharing is legal in some countries whereas it's not in others. :wub:

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

• 4 months later...

On 1st October it became legal in the UK to make backups of your own cds on your computer, to play in your car etc! Before that it actually was illegal. If you sell a cd, or dispose of it in any way, you must now remove all copies you may have too.

It took you five months to "get it"?

LOL, just messin with you! :)

I have gotten only about 90/100 of it after 5 months :D

I sort of still wonder.........why downloading music from youtube for personal use is okay but downloading from elsewhere is not.

It depends on which videos on youtube you're converting, some videos will tell you they are copyrighted. Also depends on the location/country you are in. I personally like to download mostly edited/cleaned songs (clean music is hard to find and I'm overly picky about lyrics). :wub:

Also, some sites download songs that are uploaded for personal use only such as a cover of a song(someone singing their favorite song for the fun of it.) And then distribute them without the owner's permission. Most new singers/artist on youtube will put in their comments they want their music shared for more likes. :)

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!