JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Skin Care and Make Up

Hi, Yanty! 

Depends on what is going on with your skin.  :)

I stick with CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer for my face.  I have to use Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Lip Protectant Stick for my terminally dry lips (I have tried every other oil, etc., out there and nothing even comes close to helping).

http://www.cerave.com/?gclid=CPDqlIfb-b4CFeYRMwodeQwAyw

I think you can order all through www.drugstore.com.  :)

I stick with Maybelline Great Lash mascara, if I'm going to wear any at all.  Less expensive than many brands and works just as well.

Talking about mascara, I have straight lash and though I apply lash curler, it back straight again after few hours, worse I have oily skin, so there's always black spot under my eyes whenever I apply mascara.... Now, I avoid mascara... But I would love to have it if I can handle my straight lash... My eyes turn different with mascara (how to say it in English, become more lively? Like my eyes can speak and active, without mascara, my eyes looks like they are sleeping, don't know what is the exact word to express it) Sorry for my bad english  :(

Anyway, any suggestion how to apply mascara to my straight lash?

:bouncing:

I love discussing beauty techniques. I use whatever I have at hand, I wash with baking soda or brown sugar mixed with a little safflower oil as a scrub, followed by witch hazel or apple cider vinegar as an astrigent. I also use raw unrefined coconut oil as a moisturizer and natural sunscreen all in one. Sometimes I also use it as a deorderant. Older sisters may also use it as a vaginal lubricant during intimate times. Whatever food I eat always goes on my face. When ever I make my delicious sliced avocadoes and sliced tomatoes with pepper and a little salt with brown rice, the avocado goes on my face. I also rinse my face with the rice water. It's said that blushing brides use this before their wedding for a wonderful glow. When I make my morning lemon water I rub the lemon on my face. I let these sit and rinse and apply a thin layer of my CoCo oil. My skin looks amazing when I apply pineapple rind to it. I practically look like a baby my skin is so smooth afterwards.

Oh... it can be used as deodorant too?  I have to use deodorant for all of my life... I would love to have  a natural one if it function well...

I will try to have olive oil in my hair, face and skin... any exact type pf olive oil I should use? I find there's kind of virgin or extra virgin oil, etc in supermarket... Which one should I use? And, what about the amount of using it?

Yes to lots of water and enough sleep.... And, I feel when my period have just gone (with the acne also), my face is really smooth...

No epsom salt here... can i use random salt that we have here?

And yes, there's a lot of coconut here, we drink the water, eat the meat, use coconut milk for cooking, and coconut skin as fuel for bbq... Yet, never seen coconut oil here... (but, i saw it in Taiwan...)  I guess they export it to other countries... But, I will try to search online...

Try this for Coconut Oil:  www.CoconutOil-Online.com  Very informative web site for coconut oil and it's uses. 

I believe this come from Indonesia.  I order my coconut oil from here...also Avocado Oil...which is best for high heat/frying as it has a high smoking point. I also use the avocado oil on face or hair as a moisturizer.

Edited by Brenda

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

Talking about mascara, I have straight lash and though I apply lash curler, it back straight again after few hours, worse I have oily skin, so there's always black spot under my eyes whenever I apply mascara.... Now, I avoid mascara... But I would love to have it if I can handle my straight lash... My eyes turn different with mascara (how to say it in English, become more lively? Like my eyes can speak and active, without mascara, my eyes looks like they are sleeping, don't know what is the exact word to express it) Sorry for my bad english  :(

Anyway, any suggestion how to apply mascara to my straight lash?

Yanty, I have the SAME problem, which is why I said 'if I wear any mascara at all.'  :(

I think our only solution is to get the false kind!  LOL.  We'll get the real thing in the new system!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Yanty, I have the SAME problem, which is why I said 'if I wear any mascara at all.'  :(

I think our only solution is to get the false kind!  LOL.  We'll get the real thing in the new system!

Is that Adam and Eve's fault that i have a straight lash?   :lol2:

Anyway, I am curious with the false lash... But, not yet have a courage to apply... afraid that it damage my true lash when i take off the false

Oh Sister Yanty you are probably as adorable as your sweet little kittens! The best beauty advice is to wear a SMILE!

Well said Venus! I agree that smile is the most beautiful thing that we have....  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

:givehug: Thank you Venus!! I will smile... (This is the problem i have, sometimes I forgot to smile)

Anyway, those are not my kittens, but i got the pic from one brother, and I love it so much... I like cats...  :wub:  :wub:

Besides epsom salt for a scrub you can use baking soda on your face and is mild and softening. 

I also use baking soda once a week for my hair and then rinse with vinegar and water mixture. 

Any vinegar?

Is that Adam and Eve's fault that i have a straight lash?   :lol2:

Anyway, I am curious with the false lash... But, not yet have a courage to apply... afraid that it damage my true lash when i take off the false

Yes, let's blame it on Adam and Eve...and Satan!

The false lashes shouldn't take off your real lashes, because you normally apply the lash glue just a hair above the lashes, and not on the lashes themselves.  :)

Yes, let's blame it on Adam and Eve...and Satan!

The false lashes shouldn't take off your real lashes, because you normally apply the lash glue just a hair above the lashes, and not on the lashes themselves. :)

I've tried to apply the full false lashes several times and always end up looking like Carol Burnette's version of Norma Desmond (in her spoof of Sunset Blvd.) I find the individual lashes much easier to apply.

post-4240-0-48674600-1403064955.jpg

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Yanty, try using dark eyeliner on your top eyelids, just above your lashes and only put mascara on the very tips of your lashes, not the whole lash.  Don't put any mascara on your lower lashes. 

Yanty, try using dark eyeliner on your top eyelids, just above your lashes and only put mascara on the very tips of your lashes, not the whole lash.  Don't put any mascara on your lower lashes. 

Sure, I will try it... Thank you Brigette!!   :yes:

If you curl your lashes but only put mascare on the tips - the curl should last longer. You can also try putting mascara on the TOP of your lashes first - then do underneath and they will tend to curl upwards.

If you curl your lashes but only put mascare on the tips - the curl should last longer. You can also try putting mascara on the TOP of your lashes first - then do underneath and they will tend to curl upwards.

Sorry for a request... But, I am quite confused with the position of my lashes that you mentioned... Where's the part of tip? top? underneath? :unsure:  :unsure: 

Maybe you can help me by drawing it... Thank you for your help Brigette... 

Tip of the lashes is the very end of the lash.  You have bottom and top of lashes (just like the bottom and top of everything else) You normally apply mascara on the bottom of your lashes, some do it to the bottom and the top.  Hope that clarifies things a little.

Tip of the lashes is the very end of the lash.  You have bottom and top of lashes (just like the bottom and top of everything else) You normally apply mascara on the bottom of your lashes, some do it to the bottom and the top.  Hope that clarifies things a little.

Thank you Brigette, I will sure try it... :)  

I do part of this, i.e., draw a line on my upper lash line.  It sort of replaces mascara for me.  I do attempt mascara once in awhile, but it's the eyeliner that really makes the difference for me.  :)

After battling acne for years, because of oily, oily skin, success! Neutragena brought out a line of skin care, called Naturals. The cleansing lotion is based on willow, and I probably wouldn't have tried that, but recalled that willow bark was used by Indians, in their medical care. I am able to even use the night cream, which in past years gave me a lot of trouble.

The B&B cream*, #10, is my make-up. The amount of moisture seems to fir so well, I probably will never change. Having dark eyebrow and lashes, I use Maybelline's clear brow, and eyelash tamer. Do not need mascara as it is too dramatic.

B&B stands for blemish balm

After battling acne for years, because of oily, oily skin, success! Neutragena brought out a line of skin care, called Naturals. The cleansing lotion is based on willow, and I probably wouldn't have tried that, but recalled that willow bark was used by Indians, in their medical care. I am able to even use the night cream, which in past years gave me a lot of trouble.

The B&B cream*, #10, is my make-up. The amount of moisture seems to fir so well, I probably will never change. Having dark eyebrow and lashes, I use Maybelline's clear brow, and eyelash tamer. Do not need mascara as it is too dramatic.

B&B stands for blemish balm

Hi Peggy! So envy you having dark lashes and don't have to use mascara....

Anyway, I used bb cream before, korean one not american one, a little bit different in their ingredients I guess... But, I felt too creamy and oily then my make up can't stay long... Now, I use cc cream (korean brand) when i'm not in make up, just to cover some flaw in my face for daily (work and ministry)... When I make up (meeting and convention), i use primer and liquid foundation for oily skin... I feel my make up stay longer... 

Which brand of your bb cream? I read that American brand bb cream is some kind different with Asian one. (read in wordly forum discussing beauty stuff)

Edited by ivy

I have learned several things here.  

1.  The $17.00 bottle of olive oil I bought may not go to waste after all.  

2.  Skin care is almost as complex as mixing chemicals in the lab.  

3.   I am quite possibly a man. 

I do have one question, any idea how to get rid of skin tags without having to visit a dermatologist?  I have one on my right eyelid that annoys me.  

Edited by cerebral ecstasy