JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Woman beheaded in Oklahoma

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3512 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hi friends, I am a little confused about something. I've been told by some in my congregation in August of this year, to stop watching the NEWS! Some say they don't watch it at all.

While we do have to treat claims made in the media with skepticism, knowing the reported facts of recent events is a very useful tool to adjust to the needs of the local territory.

In my congregation, the midweek FS conductors (elders and servants) will often bring in the morning newspaper when it reports on a major event in the territory that may necessitate a different approach in the ministry. For example, when the newspaper reported that a murder had recently been committed a neighborhood we were going to be working in door to door, we decided that it might be less-than-tactful to offer a magazine on making friends.

Whether that report was entirely accurate or not is irrelevant (the police and media trucks were still on the scene, so I'm inclined to believe that it was true), but what's important is that people were hearing that a murder was committed, so we had to use the same tact that we would expect of others if it were our own neighbor murdered.

Stavro -- good point about tactfulness.

In my congregation, the midweek FS conductors (elders and servants) will often bring in the morning newspaper when it reports on a major event in the territory that may necessitate a different approach in the ministry. For example, when the newspaper reported that a murder had recently been committed a neighborhood we were going to be working in door to door, we decided that it might be less-than-tactful to offer a magazine on making friends.

Thanks, I too like to know what is going on in the world so as to help those in ministry as well as those who I witness to informally to see how events fulfill the Bible's prophecy such as 1 Timothy:3:1-5.

As things progress I see the need to know what is going on through JW.ORG, our

publications, news, and the like.

I'd never judge anyone who do or don't. But it worried me when it was told too me to stop watching the news and they meant well I know, however, still I got concerned a lot. Thanks again.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Hi friends, I am a little confused about something. I've been told by some in my congregation in August of this year, to stop watching the NEWS! Some say they don't watch it at all.

Upon learning the truth, that was a point to do as it helped to see where world events where in the fullfilling of Bible prophecy. I heard it said at the RC that the news media distort things they report.

Please help me see if I am to watch\read the news...

You need to have a measure of balance and moderation. Even the FDS says we need a "healthy skepticism, while keeping an open mind" in regards to the news media. It sounds like they're just imparting their "personal opinions" based on emotion like most do. The news is depressing and sad but is partly a necessity in these times. 

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby

Well, their opinion may be influenced or reflect what the Awake brought out in December.  Can You Trust the News Media?

Additionally, some people are so sensitive that they get extremely upset hearing all the negative news about terrible tragedies.  For these ones, it probably is best that they avoid digging deep into such terrible reports.  It's possible to keep up to date with the news without reading every gory detail.  

I'm a News Bug :lol: I would rather be prepared and I like making charts of how current events fulfill scriptures like where it says there would be food shortages, wars etc.. It makes the Bible's promises that much more real to me!

On the other hand, my best friend Elle is just fine watching as little of it as possible Lol. :wub:  She probably hears enough from me to keep her updated. :D  Lol

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I think I agree with Maureen - watching the news can really depress me but at the same time, when you look at it through the eyes of Bible Prophecy being fulfilled, that depression comes with some hope and excitement. So I usually don't watch every single day - just a day here and a day there to keep up on the big stuff (or listen to NPR) I tend towards NPR and Aljazeera news because they aren't so sensationalized.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D