JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Responding to Holiday Greetings

I'd like to know how you friends respond when someone says "merry christmas" or other holiday greetings.

Normally I just scream like a banshee and then panic moonwalk away.

Just kidding.  A brother told me that the way he responds is "enjoy YOUR holiday".  So now I say that now.

~Van

Someone at work this morning said Merry Christmas...I said 'and all that!'. Kinda made sense when I said it and he understood it too so it worked out ok.

I got a text card from one of my supervisors and responded with 'hope you have a good day with your family'. Seems to work ok.   

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

It just depends on the situation.  If I am at the store and the cashier says "Merry Christmas" and she has a long line of customers, I will just say "thank you".  Other times depending on circumstances, I may try to give a brief witness about why I don't celebrate it.

Is celebrating Christmas wrong? Is celebrating it a sin against Jehovah? If yes, then would this be like telling someone "enjoy your shining against Jehovah"?

I like Taylor's suggestion. If you say "Enjoy YOUR holiday" with stress on "YOUR" you are making clear it's THEIR holiday, not yours. If they get it, it can open a way for a more detailed discussion. I will try it the next days and tell you how it went. :raspberry:

But anyway saying "Thank you!" works fine too most of the time.

Poo

Well I feel stupid

I was not meaning to make you feel stupid.  I apologize.

Yes, saying "thank you" always works.  Why do we agonize over replying to "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays?"  We don't worry about any other holiday.  Is that because the Christmas and New Years greetings last just over a month, where the other other holidays are shorter?  Is it because the other holidays don't seem as significant or family oriented?  Nobody seems to worry about how to respond to "Happy Halloween" or "Happy Easter."

It's like the sneezing/saying "bless you" all over again.  If we don't make an appropriate response, we feel we're being rude.

Yes, saying "thank you" always works.  Why do we agonize over replying to "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays?"  We don't worry about any other holiday.  Is that because the Christmas and New Years greetings last just over a month, where the other other holidays are shorter?  Is it because the other holidays don't seem as significant or family oriented?  Nobody seems to worry about how to respond to "Happy Halloween" or "Happy Easter."

Here in the first days of January everybody greets you "Have a happy year!" Some friends object to it, but I don't think there's anything wrong in wishing someone a happy year. When somebody wishes me a happy year I usually say "You too".

What's there to agonize about? The person saying the traditional holiday greeting means well. No harm, no foul. A simple 'thank you' kindly acknowledges their well-wishing and we can be on our way. 

Usually trying to seize every opportunity to "give a witness"  8-)  when someone says "Merry Christmas" or the like only makes us look like religious nutters.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!