JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Finally have a tablet - So many questions now!

So a couple weeks ago I took Verizon's offer - 7" android based tablet... Ellipsis 7

Now I need help understanding and learning how best to use it.

How do I know which apps are trustworthy in the JW field? There are so many?

What will help with service info? tracking time, placements, RVs, etc.

I do have JW Library and JW Language already and have been able to access all materials needed for meetings. Not sure how to underline/highlight points I'd like to remember or comment on. Not sure how to add on my own personal notes. Wondering about writing a talk so it's on my tablet when I give it. Still trying to figure out playing back audios too. I know I downloaded them but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Any suggestions would help me at this point!

Is there a forum thread somewhere on JWtalk that has all this info already? I must not be looking in the right places if there is so please give me a link to it. :)

Thank you all so much!

One of the most important things is a program that will help you use the publications in epub format

I recommend Moon Reader (it's the best for me - even in free version)

these are other useful apps I use:

NWT Bible

JW Song Book

Offline Browser (if you wanna use the site offline)

and this one Instagram  :lol:

Edit : and Adobe Reader is good for TMS book

Edited by Adelin

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

At the moment you can not use JW Library to highlight or make notes.  But we have been told that feature will be coming soon.  Until then Moon Reader does seem to the most popular for epub books and useful for highlighting.

There is an app simply called "Watchtower Library" by JVillella which is good for using the online library and can also save publications for off-line use.

epub = Moon Reader or Mantano Reader (Mantano is my favorite).

pdf = ezPDF Reader (my favorite) or Adobe Reader or a host of others. 

The obvious official apps like JW Library, JW Language, and JW Sign Language.

NWT Bible is also good, but kinda not needed anymore with the release of JW Library.

For recording field ministry activity, return visits, and bible studies, check our Ministry Assistant.

Dump your use of the stock browser and get Chrome or Dolphin. If you get yourself a Chromecast HDMI Dongle, you can use Chrome to stream tv.jw.org to your Television.

Also, I recommend ES File Explorer for file management, which has a nice downloader also so you can save files to wherever you want besides the default "downloads" folder.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I also like jwreader

http://www.syntaxsoftwaresolutions.co.uk/JWReader/

It has a nice widget for the daytext and it is a great way to organize your mags, books and KMs - all versions (pdf, ePub and audio). I also use it to listen to the Bible.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

hi Andee :wave:

welcome to the world of tablet fun :party:

and frustration :wall:  <-- only in the beginning

in addition to above,

download audio: 1984 edition NWT, mags, lots of books, music, dramas, dramatic bible readings in Podcaster 2 -

sorry no link, it should appear in google play store with a search

audio downloads sometimes hide in apps already installed on your device -

'play music' app (orange headphones icon) or

music player app (round & blue, with a play arrow & music clef attached to it)

as to your question

"How do I know which apps are trustworthy in the JW field?"

a couple things may help...

1. get a referral from the friends who use it. including here

2. read the reviews in play store before download. apostates lurk.

have fun   :flowers:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Offline Browser is against the "terms of use" for jw.org I believe..no mining of the website anymore...

Nah, you're good. 

What constitutes proper use? You may view, download, and print copyrighted artwork, electronic publications, music, photos, text, videos (“Content”) from this website for your own personal and non-commercial purposes.

An Offline Browser simply downloads the content so you can view it off line. In fact, almost ALL browsers in a PC allow you to do this.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Nah, you're good. 

What constitutes proper use? You may view, download, and print copyrighted artwork, electronic publications, music, photos, text, videos (“Content”) from this website for your own personal and non-commercial purposes.

An Offline Browser simply downloads the content so you can view it off line. In fact, almost ALL browsers in a PC allow you to do this.

Thanks Bob for the clarification...will you explain to me what this means? Is it saying that a developer may not create a tool or app to mine the website?

"Access this site for the purpose of creating and distributing source code, tools, or techniques for conducting any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction, and data harvesting) on or in relation to this website;"..I just want to understand...

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Thanks Bob for the clarification...will you explain to me what this means? Is it saying that a developer may not create a tool or app to mine the website?

"Access this site for the purpose of creating and distributing source code, tools, or techniques for conducting any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction, and data harvesting) on or in relation to this website;"..I just want to understand...

Let's break the sentence down:

[You may not] access this site for the purpose of creating and distributing.....

source code for conducting data collection activities.

tools for conducting data collection activities.

techniques for conducting data collection activities. 

We're talking about syndicated or automated scraping, data mining, data extraction, and data harvesting, etc.

So, we are specifically talking about a program that would access jw.org, harvest some data, and then perhaps even display it within the app. This would not include an RSS feed, ePub or PDF Reader, or any web browser. Browser and Reader are interchangable terms.

Thanks for the offline browser link. Our CO has been showing how he does this with an iPad and he does it with screen shots and a slide show for when he doesn't have internet access. This is clearly where an android tablet beats an iPad.

I am unable to get the videos to DL though. Have you been able to do it?

Edit: for those, I just save them on a SD card and use a media player to show them. I use MX Player Pro.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thanks y'all!

Can any of you tell me anything about these apps:

JW TV broadcasting from JWUnity

JW.ORG 2015 App from JWUnity

JW.ORG Quick Tools

JW Song Book from tony007

JW TOOLS from Titan Estudios

JW Study Aid from Thunderstone Apps

JW Podcaster from Agape Apps

Ministry Assistant from Lost Pixels

Thanks y'all!

Can any of you tell me anything about these apps:

JW TV broadcasting from JWUnity

JW.ORG 2015 App from JWUnity

JW.ORG Quick Tools

JW Song Book from tony007

JW TOOLS from Titan Estudios

JW Study Aid from Thunderstone Apps

JW Podcaster from Agape Apps

Ministry Assistant from Lost Pixels

Ministry Assistant is perfect for recording your field ministry activity and generated reports. It keeps track of not-at-homes, Bible studies, return visits, etc, and reminds you when you haven't visited someone in a while.

JW Podcaster will automatically download audio publications to your device so you can play them offline. It's very nice, except that it's designed for phones and only displays in the portrait position (no landscape). 

I recommend them both. As far as the others, I don't know anything about them.

some apps are mere links, or hold what is already contained in others...

for ex: songs are already in JW lib app (purple icon) <-- the First app you want to install

apps are fun, and make accessing content easy & handy,

yet they use valuable memory.

in part, it depends on how much memory you have

and how you want to use it

:)

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

some apps are mere links, or hold what is already contained in others...

for ex: songs are already in JW lib app (purple icon) <-- the First app you want to install

you're right sis, but someone like me, who needs all the stuff not only in english, has to use other apps than JW Library

can't wait for this app to be multilingual   :D 

Edited by Adelin

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

Let's break the sentence down:

[You may not] access this site for the purpose of creating and distributing.....

source code for conducting data collection activities.

tools for conducting data collection activities.

techniques for conducting data collection activities. 

We're talking about syndicated or automated scraping, data mining, data extraction, and data harvesting, etc.

So, we are specifically talking about a program that would access jw.org, harvest some data, and then perhaps even display it within the app. This would not include an RSS feed, ePub or PDF Reader, or any web browser. Browser and Reader are interchangable terms.

I think we are on the same page...Offline Browser is an Android app that mines websites and you can later show them offline.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I think we are on the same page...Offline Browser is an Android app that mines websites and you can later show them offline.

Which is okay according to the Terms Of Use.

It's not a form of data mining/connection. It's just a browser that allows you to view cached web pages.

• 10 months later...

Awesome guys thanks for this list. I got everything I thought I would use for meetings and service already. I have everything for the coming week meetings all ready. Yay.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green