JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Taiwanese air accident: Co-pilot one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3452 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My good friend Chris Lau who I studied the bible with many years ago and who finally became one of Jehovah's Witnesses died this week in a tragic air accident in Taiwan. He was working as co-pilot on the flight and is being hailed as a hero due to his efforts to minimise the impact on the ill-fated flight that crashed into a built up area in Taipei, resulting in a lower death toll than might have otherwise occurred.

Read NZ Herald article here:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11397934

post-765-0-66823600-1423274956_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken at the last Convention ever held at Eden Park, in Auckland. Chris' mum made us sticky rice for lunch.

Brother Dave, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of our brother and your dear friend Chris. I  believe I shall use this article in school and work it into a geography lesson. I have one student from Taiwan, who wants to know why the theory of evolution is not presented as a fact. Although I don't think this article will lead into a controversy about creation and the Bible, it will help me show diversity as a pilot living in New Zealand, and the bravery of Brother Lau. If I have your permission, I may print out the convention picture and mention the setting.

That would be fine Pauline.

I originally met him in Auckland when he showed an interest in studying the bible. I studied with him for several years. It was slow going because of his limited english at the time and there were very few Chinese publishers in our area back then. He spoke to others about his study and before long 3 more of his friends had joined us including his older brother.

In more recent years he'd moved to Taiwan to pursue his career as a pilot, so I hadn't seen him for a while, but he would always drop in for a visit whenever he came back to Auckland to visit his family. He was the most humble, mild mannered guy you could ever meet.

post-765-0-11366100-1423277146_thumb.jpg

Chris' father owned a Nocturnal Park in Kaitaia in the far north of NZ. During that time Chris associated with the Kaitaia congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses and came to know good friends of mine Bev & Tunney McFadyen. While staying at Bev & Tunney's Bed & Breakfast one year, Chris invited us all for a complimentary tour of the Park followed by a meal catered for by the park.

He originally started learning to fly so he could help his father build the business by flying overseas guests to the park from Auckland.

Edited by Dave

Dear Brother Dave, that is an amazing story. My Taiwanese Student is in my High School Class. I also have students that were previously in my ESL class, that I am calling on now. I don't call on them while they are still in my class. I told the CO that I it seems that some just want to learn more English and he said that many of our Brothers and Sisters started reading our literature to learn English and then get interested in the content. Your experience is amazing and encouraging for those of us who have foreign language calls. You found a foreign language student that was already interested in the Bible. Fantastic! Did you learn any Taiwan-ese (Formosian) in the process? Fortunately almost all hundred plus Chinese language speakers can read Mandarin(-ese). I have learned a little Cantonese, but would like to learn some Mandarin.  

The second picture is also quite impressive. The article mentioned Hong Kong. Did brother Chris live in Hong Kong, as well? (Hong kong and Macau speak a lot of Cantonese). Did any of Chris's family members come in to the truth? That sticky rice sure does sound appetizing. I worked in a Chinese restaurant and sampled the food the owners cooked. It not like what Americans buy in Chinese restaurants. 

Edited by kejedo

I am sorry to hear that this fine Brother and your friend died. It sounds like the Truth ended up deep in his heart and we can look forward to seeing him again in the New System.

In the first picture you did not indicate who was who .... specifically, which one is Chris.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Sorry Chris is the Chinese brother on the right.

After Chris got baptised, he admitted to me that his initial interest was in learning English, but then the truth touched his heart.

I'm in the shot with my daughter both times, (on the right) so you get an idea of how many years passed between them. In the first shot she's about 6-7 yrs old, in the second shot she's about 16-17. She's now 25 years old.

Chris' sister also joined the study for a short time. She eventually had her own study with a sister but it didn't go anywhere. Interestingly I just found out a Chinese sister is now calling on one of her daughters who is now a teenager I think.

Edited by Dave

When I first met Chris, he was still a teenager going to school. He'd recently arrived from Hong Kong with his family, which is where he'd been living, although I think he was actually born in Taiwan.

I meant to say my daughter and I are on the LEFT in each shot.

Edited by Dave

This was on our local news and after seeing it, I immediately noticed how well the pilot flew around so many structures and to know this was our brother explains it all. I will be saying prayers for you and his family. Now that I have seen his picture I will be looking for him in the new system soon! Much love and support to you brother Dave.

post-765-0-45752700-1423694005.jpg

Chris Lau 1970-2015

A memorial service for Chris Lau is being held this Saturday 14th February. It is being streamed live from what I presume is his local Kingdom Hall in Taipei, Taiwan to the Panmure Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 112 Jellicoe Road, Panmure, Auckland at 3pm.

I have been asked to speak at the conclusion of the live stream, which will be interpreted into Chinese. I understand one of his teachers has also been asked to speak. They still trying to work out if they can set up a 2-way stream so the people in Taipei (including Chris' family) can hear what is said in Auckland.

I have seenaa copy of the funeral program which has been very beautifully done. They will be singing song 111 and 134. and they have the 27 scriptural references all written out in full (in chinese, of course). It seems they may be expecting a lot of his unbelieving work colleagues to attend. Let's hope and pray it proves to be a good witness.

Edited by Dave

Ah, how very sad to read.  It's just so encouraging to hear our Brother getting the truth by yours and others' perseverance, even though it took a long time.  And then when the long friendship ends so tragically, what a blow.  It's a reminder to live each day as fully as we can and with Jehovah's blessing in our activities.  Our lives just don't make sense otherwise.  I'm so glad that our brother Chris was able to find such meaning and be happy in his too short life. May Jehovah continue to comfort his family and yours in this loss.