JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Daily for Health

We've been trying to do things to help each of us health wise and was hoping we could all share things we do / tried to feel better, have energy, get healthier.

First, we are all drinking warm water with 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 a lime juiced, 1 inch sliced or grated turmeric, 1 inch sliced or grated ginger, and honey to taste (I will be buying mankua soon for its healing properties) steeped for 5-10 minutes. They say you can make it and steep overnight (and I guess refrigerate) to get more benefit from the ginger and turmeric. We are using it for the digestive properties (acid reflux, ibs,etc) and the anti inflammatory properties (arthritis, fibro, ibs, other joint pain) I've read turmeric also helps protect the brain and memory (I can use all the help I can get). This combo is supposed to refresh & energize you also and alkalize the body.

We also are trying to juice / nutribullet daily - adding chia seeds and other healthy stuff to nourish our bodies more and reduce cravings / hunger. We mix it up with different greens and fruits.

Any other tips?

Edited by Tazzy

We have had a rough winter and are worn down so we are trying to build ourselves back up. We've also had a few lean years where we couldn't eat as many fresh veggies and fruit as we would have liked so now trying to concentrate on more good healthy foods.

We have started our seeds for a little fresh produce garden.

We are planning a better sleep schedule starting next week.

I need to do exercise (other than the work we do cleaning) so hope to start back to T-tap and walking to DVDs in the house for now until it warms up and the ice melts. Plus I need to build my stamina and fix my pinched nerve issue that makes my leg go numb when I walk or stand before I can even walk around the block. Going for Mri for checking on the status of my spinal stenosis Thursday so I can start acupuncture, physio, osteo soon.

I love my nutribullet! I've been taking Evening primrose oil.Seems to help.

I have spinal stenosis also and two vertebra in my neck are compressed together,I have two deteriorating disc in my back and a deformed tailbone.I have the sciatica nerve pain everyday.I stretch,try to walk 15 minutes to get blood flow to it,that releases the inflammation chemicals.My osteo doctor had me on 5 different muscle relaxers and pain relievers.I took weeks of therapy,including ultrasound therapy but really walking helps me the most.Even when I'm bent over I walk as much as possible .I am often in excruciating pain.I was rear ended twice in one year and one of the ER docs x-rayed my entire spine.He said "You must be in constant pain." I am always in pain.

I have noticed the pain is much worse if I get the least bit constipated so I have to take stuff for that.

So I understand severe never ending back pain.I can only commiserate with you.

Ouch! Just reading your symptoms and pain made me cringe.

I also find staying active helps. Even tho cleaning is probably too much at times, I would not be as mobile as I am if I didn't keep moving. By the time I finsh work in the morning tho and drive home (the sitting seizes me up after the work), I can hardly hobble into the house. Same in the mornings - fingers, feet, back, neck all stiff and so sore it's hard to walk down the stairs. It gets better as I move.

I do need to start doing my stretches each morning (and probably before bed too) so thanks for the reminder. I've gotten out of the habit.

I will add stretches am / pm to my daily reminder list on the fridge now.

I love this site and the wonderful advise I get here. I love talking about health and nutrition. SLEEP is medicine for me, for sure. I also drink smoothies and use greens and molasses and sprouts.
A sister on this site mentioned Oil of Oregano and it helps. I love to work out on the eliptical just 20 or 30 minutes will do then a little toning. It's not much but it helps to be consistent.

Meditating and deep breathing really helps because it slows everything down and relaxes me.
Now if I can work on those chocolates :thumbsup:  that always seem to jump in my shopping cart. Thanks Beth that stretching is the best and helps agreat deal!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I love this site and the wonderful advise I get here. I love talking about health and nutrition. SLEEP is medicine for me, for sure. I also drink smoothies and use greens and molasses and sprouts.

A sister on this site mentioned Oil of Oregano and it helps. I love to work out on the eliptical just 20 or 30 minutes will do then a little toning. It's not much but it helps to be consistent.

Meditating and deep breathing really helps because it slows everything down and relaxes me.

Now if I can work on those chocolates :thumbsup:  that always seem to jump in my shopping cart. Thanks Beth that stretching is the best and helps agreat deal!

Well, you do know that dark chocolate has heart health qualities, don't you?    ^_^

Well we started juicing again but this time we are stricter about it and are doing it every day. We get kale, spinach, and fresh watercress; carrots, beets, cilantro, celery, cabbage, jerusalem artichokes, ginger,apple, oranges, pineapple, lime or lemon(whichever is cheaper). If we over juice then we drink the rest later in the day but we start our mornings on juice which makes us not hungry until noon and then we still find that we don't eat very much. 

We thought we would be spending more by juicing but actually we are spending about $65 for food on a weekly basis because we are not so hungry and our leftovers last longer so we only make a meal about 3 times a week now. 

We are also making our own fermented veggies which is really simple and not as scary as I thought so now we are getting a lot more digestive enzymes which we need desperately. We also are making miso soup. I make the stock out of seaweed, bonita(dried fish) and anchovies. I buy organic miso out of chickweed and barley because I don't trust soybeans. 

About a year and half ago I got us on many herb supplements which has helped but juicing and eating fermented foods has really helped, we have only been doing it for a month and both my hubby and I have lost 10lbs without trying and our energy levels keep increasing. 

I have terrible digestive and colon problems which are severely painful with my whole spine which is a mess. So I read up on a lot of things and went off coffee and started on licorice and dandelion tea and slowly I am getting better and the stomach bloating that I have had for the past 5yrs is slowly going down. I am hoping in time that my digestive issues will soon be a thing of the past. 

I have also been able to recently go off of my sleep meds and some of my nerve meds. My husband has been on meds for his heart, blood pressure and cholesterol. He just had a visit with his doc and now he is off cholesterol meds and they are looking at taking him off his blood pressure meds too. 

As far as supplements we take the oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, serrapeptase,grape seed extract, boron, selenium, liquid multi vitamin, rhodiola, curcumin, selenium and other supplements but these are our main ones. 

I also use coconut oil for my skin and use it first thing in the morning swishing it in my mouth for 15 minutes to help pull toxins from my body. 

Just a couple of months ago I could hardly walk due to my right leg losing mobility and at times my body would shake uncontrollably which left me in bed. I have had less problems with my leg and the shakes, they are not totally gone but I am able to walk for exercise for the first time in 5-6yrs. This just began to happen this week!

I often have hot water with Manuka Honey and cinnamon ... Manuka Honey is an awesome product if you guys can get it. It's a NZ Honey from the Manuka Bush/tree related to the Kanuka and Australian Tea Tree. It has healing elements in the honey and many hospitals in the US use it for children to counteract the effects of chemotherapy on their stomachs. (My brother's hives used to do a high percentage manuka honey).

Cinnamon is an antiseptic as is Tumeric ... it is also great for high blood sugars.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

At 64,I too have benefited greatly from turmeric and ginger for digestive and joint issues.

MSM 1000 mg was a miracle for stiffness, If I lay off it, I get like a board. I take a "mens health" Multi.  Sublingual B is great if I really have to concentrate focus and get something done.

Doing some form of physical work each day helps greatly as well. Fortunately, I get it from my jobs and don't have to resort to workouts, etc.

As for the brain and memory part, I still have CRD. Did a good job of frying both pre-truth. Oh well, can't have everything till paradise, I guess.  :wacko: