JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A Funny Thing Happened After the Wedding Reception . . .

I can't believe someone would want their food back. When my daughter was married, there was a tremendous turnout of attendees and there were mountains of food and about half of it was left after the reception. The sisters in charge of the food asked if we should tell everyone to come to a congregation get-together on Sunday afternoon to be held in the groom's familiy's yard so that's what we did and feed the whole congregation again. Too bad the bride and groom missed out on fun we had, AGAIN. After that, hardly anything was left!     :eat:

Fantastic idea. My brother-in-law died recently and there was a lot of food brought to his memorial. The congregation already had a get together scheduled for the next day so my sister had the sisters take all of the left over food and water to the get together. She attended it too, it was good for her...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My little brother used to scrape all the siblings' plates after a meal...

Hardly my idea of entertainment, but he got extra that way. And less got thrown out.

He's lived his later life trying not to spend money - going a bit off-topic here - and now gets most of his food from the skips behind supermarkets. When they throw out the 'use by' unsolds he's there to swoop on them.

He's lived his later life trying not to spend money - going a bit off-topic here - and now gets most of his food from the skips behind supermarkets. When they throw out the 'use by' unsolds he's there to swoop on them.

As long as we don't mind going a little off-topic. Back in the mid 70's the price of sugar spiked up. About that same time some friends were moving so one of their sons and I went looking for boxes, we checked a dumpster at a pastry distribution warehouse and it was packed with boxes of desserts and donuts that had reached their expiration date because of the recent price change. We loaded up several car loads of boxed goodies and gave them to the friends. For a couple of teenagers, it was a good day.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Our PO's (at that time)wife passed away.A sister who had formerly been a caterer was organizing the food contributions.She assigned everyone to make enough for 100. That's about 80 people bringing enough for 100 of each assignment. Mine was 100 tuna or chicken sandwiches. When I got there, my hand made creations were thrown in a corner amidst a pile of excess food. It happens.

Years ago, when I was a State of Mass Social Worker, a group of 4 colleagues asked me to accompany them on their regular Friday afternoon restaurant splurge.I generally stayed in the office, during lunch break, to do paper work.I was not in the truth yet, and did not know how to turn down worldly invitations. At the restaurant, I ordered an appetizer (instead of an entree) and a glass of ice water. The other four ordered appetizers, entrees, sides, desserts, and a

beverage (some alcoholic). When the check came, I expected to break it up by items consumed and pay our own tax and tip. Nope! They said their habit was to

take the total amount and divide it by the number of persons. So, I had to pay one fifth of their exorbitant excesses, as well as tip/ tax. Never did that

again. Live and learn.

Years ago, when I was a State of Mass Social Worker, a group of 4 colleagues asked me to accompany them on their regular Friday afternoon restaurant splurge.I generally stayed in the office, during lunch break, to do paper work.I was not in the truth yet, and did not know how to turn down worldly invitations. At the restaurant, I ordered an appetizer (instead of an entree) and a glass of ice water. The other four ordered appetizers, entrees, sides, desserts, and a

beverage (some alcoholic). When the check came, I expected to break it up by items consumed and pay our own tax and tip. Nope! They said their habit was to

take the total amount and divide it by the number of persons. So, I had to pay one fifth of their exorbitant excesses, as well as tip/ tax. Never did that

again. Live and learn.

I'd have thrown in a $5 bill and said this covers mine and left it at that....oh vell, watcha gonna do...

Knew a brother who, when going out to dinner, wouldn't order but would wait until everyone was done eating and then ask for the scraps from everyone's plate. I went to dinner with a group where he was included, before I knew how he was, and was so disgusted by him scraping all the plates I didn't go in a group that he was part of again. He did this for years. I don't know how everyone put up with it. It got to be a joke, planing what to eat based on how much leftovers you could leave on the plate to feed him too. And no, he wasn't THAT broke.

I wonder what happened in his life that effected him so as to be like that

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

We invited a widowed brother to a meal. After he finished, he said, "You can invite me to eat here, anytime." He was so amusing. At one time, by accident, we had two cong. get togethers on the same day. One was at my yard/pool; the other was at a different sister's patio.  The widowed brother chided me at the next day's meeting that if I had checked first, he would have attended both. Who knew?

There's a health food store here in Brooklyn that on certain nights throws out what they consider "old" food. But it's not just dumped. It's placed in boxes near the curb so the homeless can take their pick. I'm not referring to only packaged food. I'm talking fresh food like tomatoes, bread. It reminds me of gleaning.

And there was a news item (forgot the date) that printed a case where a wedding was called off...at the last moment. These people were very well to do. They had everything planned of course, and with LOADS of food for the reception.

What to do. They made a decision. They bought Styrofoam plates, filled them up and fed the homeless!! Wonderful.

Edited by Luezette

Some have been rendered homeless, despite their willingness to work. 

We have plenty homeless people in Australia ....  whatever the reason its very sad to see them on the streets ... especially in winter.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Yes, it is sad...

But most of it is self-inflicted. Kids who refuse to stay with their families, drunkards who finish up with nowhere to go because their money is spent on booze and smokes.

True, the situation is somewhat different in the US, but our welfare system here really does mean that it's hard for anyone who wants to to not have a home.

Yes, it is sad...

But most of it is self-inflicted. Kids who refuse to stay with their families, drunkards who finish up with nowhere to go because their money is spent on booze and smokes.

True, the situation is somewhat different in the US, but our welfare system here really does mean that it's hard for anyone who wants to to not have a home.

Yes ! but what is the REASON that drives them to resort to drugs , alcohol ...   not everbody can cope with this wicked system with "super wicked" boss in charge.

Many have mental problems .. and really is it their fault ...??? Sin has a powerful grip on some.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Having lived in a family where two teenagers lived on the streets because they didn't want to comply with their mother's (very ordinary) household rules, I can obviously see another side...

Granted, they are all under pressure from the god of this system of things.