JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A Funny Thing Happened After the Wedding Reception . . .

Oh man, something after at a carry-in wedding reception a couple of weeks ago that I'm still giggling about inside so I thought I'd share it with my "net witness" peeps!

We had a wedding reception for a young married couple at a rental building and we were all instructed to bring a dish (which is always the BEST way to have a carry-in - so much yummy variety!)  Well, we have one sister who shows up late for absolutely EVERYTHING, and true to form, she showed up late for the reception (everyone was pretty much through the line and had their food) and she also brought something to contribute - a rotisserie chicken.  About 45 minutes later, no one was eating anymore so a few of us sisters started to wrap the food and find out who the owners were of all the dishes and food that was left when this sister (who came late and brought the chicken) came storming into the kitchen asking very sternly "WHERE'S MY CHICKEN?!!" I asked "what kind of chicken dish was it?" and she explained (also sternly that it was a rotisserie chicken) and she wanted to know where it was.

Now, I've been going to carry-in congregation get togethers for 4 decades now and never in all that time did I ever expect to take home any of the food I brought.  In fact, I always hoped it would be totally consumed and all I would go home with was the dish I brough it in.  But apparently things were different for this sister - she wanted her chicken back!

We looked and made inquires, but to no avail - no chicken anywhere!  I gave both her children a box full of candy and then was told "I could care less about the candy", which when translated means "I WANT MY CHICKEN".

She finally leaves after being told that no one could find her chicken ( that she brought to a get together for the purpose of being consumed.)

Later that night, the elder who arranged the carry-in reception for his daughter and new son-in-law found the chicken - somehow, someone has mistakenly packed it into their vehicle.  So he drives all the way over to the sister's house (at 10:00 p.m.) to give her the chicken that she so desperately wanted and needed to have back.  She answers the door and he says "I have your chicken".  She then says "Well, I don't want it NOW!".  He then says "I drove all the way over here to give it to you, you're gonna take it" - then he tosses it on her couch (from the front door) and leaves!

You just can't make this stuff up! LOL

Does anyone else have any funny or awkward congregation get-together stories to tell?  Please top this one if you can! :popcorn:

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Oh man, something after at a carry-in wedding reception a couple of weeks ago that I'm still giggling about inside so I thought I'd share it with my "net witness" peeps!

We had a wedding reception for a young married couple at a rental building and we were all instructed to bring a dish (which is always the BEST way to have a carry-in - so much yummy variety!)  Well, we have one sister who shows up late for absolutely EVERYTHING, and true to form, she showed up late for the reception (everyone was pretty much through the line and had their food) and she also brought something to contribute - a rotisserie chicken.  About 45 minutes later, no one was eating anymore so a few of us sisters started to wrap the food and find out who the owners were of all the dishes and food that was left when this sister (who came late and brought the chicken) came storming into the kitchen asking very sternly "WHERE'S MY CHICKEN?!!" I asked "what kind of chicken dish was it?" and she explained (also sternly that it was a rotisserie chicken) and she wanted to know where it was.

Now, I've been going to carry-in congregation get togethers for 4 decades now and never in all that time did I ever expect to take home any of the food I brought.  In fact, I always hoped it would be totally consumed and all I would go home with was the dish I brough it in.  But apparently things were different for this sister - she wanted her chicken back!

We looked and made inquires, but to no avail - no chicken anywhere!  I gave both her children a box full of candy and then was told "I could care less about the candy", which when translated means "I WANT MY CHICKEN".

She finally leaves after being told that no one could find her chicken ( that she brought to a get together for the purpose of being consumed.)

Later that night, the elder who arranged the carry-in reception for his daughter and new son-in-law found the chicken - somehow, someone has mistakenly packed it into their vehicle.  So he drives all the way over to the sister's house (at 10:00 p.m.) to give her the chicken that she so desperately wanted and needed to have back.  She answers the door and he says "I have your chicken".  She then says "Well, I don't want it NOW!".  He then says "I drove all the way over here to give it to you, you're gonna take it" - then he tosses it on her couch (from the front door) and leaves!

You just can't make this stuff up! LOL

Does anyone else have any funny or awkward congregation get-together stories to tell?  Please top this one if you can! :popcorn:

This is not funny story  :( ....  this is quite SAD, unfortunately many (all of us) of us struglle with imperfections, tossing the chicken on the couch from the front door did not help to difuse the situation. VERY SAD. 

It takes a lot of "kindness" to deal with "funny" brothers and sisters.

Point from the Watchtower: 09 9/15

How do we react if a fellow believer is competitive, easily offended,(or funny?) or slow to respond to counsel from the elders or “the faithful and discreet slave”? (Matt. 24:45-47) While we may be prepared to accept fleshly traits as normal in Satan’s world, facing such imperfections among our brothers can be particularly trying. If the flaws of others easily annoy us, we need to ask ourselves, ‘How can I better reflect “the mind of Christ”?’ Try to keep in mind that Jesus did not become upset with his disciples, even when they showed a measure of spiritual weakness.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We call this a "covered dish" event - first time I heard it called "carry-in"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I had thought about just going to buy a chicken and bringing it to her house because she really did make quite a big deal about it and no matter what else we offered her to take home free of charge, she didn't want it - it was that rotisserie chicken or bust!  I even warned the brother who later found her chicken not to take it to her if it turned up because I knew she would get home and think about her reaction and then be embarrassed and not accept the chicken, even if someone found it.  Turns out, this time I was right (it's a rare occassion, beleive me).  I guess what I thought was so funny is that someone would bring food to a get together and then demand to have it back afterwards, I never heard of such a thing before.

By the way, you would have to know this sister to know that the brother did the right thing by just tossing the chicken on her couch and leaving.  If he hadn't done that, it would of definitely escalated with her and if the brother left with her chicken for the second time, she would of made even a bigger deal about it and living in an apartment building, all the neighbors would of gotten a show.

By the way, you would have to know this sister to know that the brother did the right thing by just tossing the chicken on her couch and leaving.  If he hadn't done that, it would of definitely escalated with her and if the brother left with her chicken for the second time, she would of made even a bigger deal about it and living in an apartment building, all the neighbors would of gotten a show.

I know some that resemble that. They want others to crawl to their every whim, no matter how stupid & childish it looks :shrugs::shutup::wall:(td)

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have heard them referred to as "pot lucks" all my life.  The reason being you were taking a "chance" or "luck of the draw" on what would be present in terms of dishes.  Not until I became a witness did I ever hear of the term "covered dish" which I usually say.  But occasionally I revert back to my old speech and it comes out without my thinking.  I am not offended if anyone uses this term but i know some who are. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

When we take a dish to such an occasion .... if we come back with anything left in the dish we wonder what we did wrong :unsure:  We EXPECT the dish to be empty  :pray:  we don't want to bring any of our own dish back home :eek:

Now, as to bringing some of the other friends food home  :eat: at times we hope to get some of that :ecstatic:

When we go to a potluck, wedding reception, picnic or any event that has left over food, I'd rather take home a variety of food instead of what we brought. I love my wife's cooking but part of the fun of sharing food is trying (and taking home) what someone else made.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think I mentioned some silly ones before, so I won't repeat them, but some people just assume they will take things home. I leave everything, including the container (which I make sure is either recyclable or disposable. ) Some do not understand the spirit of giving. Sad, or maybe they thought it was "carry out."  I once asked an elder about a meal I prepared, solely, and many didn't show up or call to cancel. He told me they were just plain rude. :shrugs:  It's a good thing we are a forgiving bunch. 

I took an entire cooler full of ice to a gathering. It was used to cool some of the drinks and put into some of the cups. Now I know some of that ice should have been left for me to take home but all I was given back was a cooler with some water in it :eek:

What happened to my left over ice? Why would someone take my ice and just leave me a cooler with water in it?

you know this post was a bit "tongue-in-cheek" - right???????

I took an entire cooler full of ice to a gathering. It was used to cool some of the drinks and put into some of the cups. Now I know some of that ice should have been left for me to take home but all I was given back was a cooler with some water in it :eek:

Your kindness just makes me melt... :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

There's another aspect to it as well...

I've been to one such event with our group where I wasn't aware that I was expected to take something. I arrived and realised I should have and mentioned it to the hostess, she simply said, "Don't worry, there'll be plenty here for everyone anyway."

And, of course, at the end I was offered some leftovers to take home.

That's the way it is when you're dealing with nice people as most of Jehovah's worshippers are...

That's the point Ray in a nutshell - everyone is invited but no one is required to bring anything, you can come, eat, enjoy whether you bring a dish or not. So if you bring a dish, you should WANT it to get eaten and for others to enjoy it, you'd expect that it WOULD get eaten, instead of expecting to get it back completely intact, especially when there are over 100 people there!

Knew a brother who, when going out to dinner, wouldn't order but would wait until everyone was done eating and then ask for the scraps from everyone's plate. I went to dinner with a group where he was included, before I knew how he was, and was so disgusted by him scraping all the plates I didn't go in a group that he was part of again. He did this for years. I don't know how everyone put up with it. It got to be a joke, planing what to eat based on how much leftovers you could leave on the plate to feed him too. And no, he wasn't THAT broke.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Knew a brother who, when going out to dinner, wouldn't order but would wait until everyone was done eating and then ask for the scraps from everyone's plate. I went to dinner with a group where he was included, before I knew how he was, and was so disgusted by him scraping all the plates I didn't go in a group that he was part of again. He did this for years. I don't know how everyone put up with it. It got to be a joke, planing what to eat based on how much leftovers you could leave on the plate to feed him too. And no, he wasn't THAT broke.

I would think that would take the enjoyment out of eating out with others! It was very kind of others to include him despite this odd and insanely cheap habit.

I went out with a pioneer group after a pioneer seminar. The group (not I) decided on one bill. I paid my amount plus tax plus a tip of over 20 per cent. One sister ordered ala-carte: an entree and a salad and her mother said she shouldn't have to pay for the salad.  People in our pio group and their parents, including our then PO, started taking money back from the cash pile including money I had already earmarked for the server's tip. One fellow pioneer sis  was paying with plastic and brought the payment up. She said after everyone had withdrawn extra money, there was less than a 10 percent tip left. I asked the sis with the plastic to find out the server's name, because I was embarrassed and wanted to send her some more money to cover the under-tip. The sis said, "Don't worry, it's an honest mistake. " :blushing:

I can't believe someone would want their food back. When my daughter was married, there was a tremendous turnout of attendees and there were mountains of food and about half of it was left after the reception. The sisters in charge of the food asked if we should tell everyone to come to a congregation get-together on Sunday afternoon to be held in the groom's familiy's yard so that's what we did and feed the whole congregation again. Too bad the bride and groom missed out on fun we had, AGAIN. After that, hardly anything was left!     :eat: