JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Technical question: Can I Edit a Post after it has been submitted?

I am trying to find out if it is possible to edit posts that have been posted

When I post a new topic, or reply to one, it is possible to edit that post as there is an edit button.

However, after posting I can't see an edit button on an older post.

Of course, I could be missing the obvious here but can this be done?

For example to correct a spelling mistake that wasn't noticed originally

Thanks,

Catalyst

There is a 15 minute timer on editing posts. If you don't edit it within the first 15 minutes of posting it, it gets "etched in stone".

However, you can always ask a moderator to erase a line, fix or reword something, or beg us to consider deleting the post entirely.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Ahhhhh... Got it.... Thanks for the reply

I'll try to be careful with my spelling !

There is a Spell Check button at the bottom of the editor. It's dependent on a 3rd party service so as long as they are up and running, it works well.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Ahhhhh... Got it.... Thanks for the reply

I'll try to be careful with my spelling !

There is a Spell Check button at the bottom of the editor. It's dependent on a 3rd party service so as long as they are up and running, it works well.

I've been using Word Web to spell check for me and then I noticed that after posting you had a spell checker. Yours doesn't work for me until after I post and then edit.:huh:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Actually I do use the spell checker, and a very good one it is too.(tu)

The problem was that I put in a post the word "here" when it should have been "hear".

So the spell checker didn't catch it as the spelling is correct.

When I tried to edit it, I couldn't, so that's why posed the question.

But i guesss I shooouldn't woory two mucho.

Thanks

• 4 years later...

I have been reading posts on this site for some years, so far only reading as I am suffering bad health (have prostate cancer and multiple myelomama). I have never posted any comments as I could never find out how to do it. Untill I found this area at bottom of a subject. Please adv ise if this is right location. I do enjoy reading all comments and said to hear that readers apparently will  be deleted from this site. I find this rather sad.

I have been reading posts on this site for some years, so far only reading as I am suffering bad health (have prostate cancer and multiple myelomama). I have never posted any comments as I could never find out how to do it. Untill I found this area at bottom of a subject. Please adv ise if this is right location. I do enjoy reading all comments and said to hear that readers apparently will  be deleted from this site. I find this rather sad.

See, it wasn't all that hard. I actually enjoyed your comments and look forward to more of them. I hope you don't have the same kind of problems putting the key in the ignition and starting your car. My mother inlaw had that problem and never drove a car her entire life. OK, I'm just being a smarty pants now.  :)

Keep on posting and you won't have to be overly concerned about being deleted. Just imagine how boring it would be to go to a meeting and only one or two of the friends commented meeting after meeting after meeting.  Start a thread and discuss your problem with prostate cancer and multiple myelomama ( no idea what this is). Every male, if we live long enough will have prostate problem so your thoughts would be appreciated. I know very little about it myself but I do know that the brother who have it have their own ideas as to how to confront it. Your ideas may help some one. Join the conversations on Theocratic themes, your comments would be much appreciated. Most questions can be answered in the FAQ forum. 

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

multiple myeloma ( no idea what this is). 

I didn't either..

post-574-0-26661200-1437230807.jpg

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

There is a 15 minute timer on editing posts. If you don't edit it within the first 15 minutes of posting it, it gets "etched in stone". However, you can always ask a moderator to erase a line, fix or reword something, or beg us to consider deleting the post entirely.

I'm not sure where that 15-minute editing feature is located, I didn't notice it.

But I have already made a few posts I wish did not exist.   :(  :)

Ah!  I just noticed it!  And added this statement, using the 'edit' feature.   Thank you!

...But what does 'hide' mean?

Edited by Dash21

...But what does 'hide' mean?

It means your in big do-do and you had better go hide.  :lol:  just kidding.

The impatient ones sometimes hit the Post button twice or three times, i've seen up to 8 times. The Hide button is to hide the Double Post or a Post that one may have a second thought about posting.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I just tested the feature on a post of mine.

A reason is requested, and the moderators can still see it, apparently.

But it seems to work.

Nice to have, when one later feels hesitant about a post they placed.

I would expect that the moderators would not want the feature overused, but I cannot say.

• 2 months later...

There is a 15 minute timer on editing posts. If you don't edit it within the first 15 minutes of posting it, it gets "etched in stone".

However, you can always ask a moderator to erase a line, fix or reword something, or beg us to consider deleting the post entirely.

You learn sonething new everyday! :)

I think the mod's can see as you are typing a post!  One time I typed a lengthy post and then totally deleted it before I even posted it and a mod p.m.'d me and asked me why I deleted my post!  I was surprised.  Suppose they would almost have to see some stuff in real-time to keep up on everything.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I think the mod's can see as you are typing a post!  One time I typed a lengthy post and then totally deleted it before I even posted it and a mod p.m.'d me and asked me why I deleted my post!  I was surprised.  Suppose they would almost have to see some stuff in real-time to keep up on everything.

Some of us are plugged directly into the forum software.  :borg: