JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Have computer questions/problems? I'm here to help.

There's also a "thin and light" imaginary classification, for machines that don't meet the "ultrabook" spec.

I don't know what products are available in Indonesia, or what companies ship there...

There's also a "thin and light" imaginary classification, for machines that don't meet the "ultrabook" spec.

I don't know what products are available in Indonesia, or what companies ship there...

Huh? What imaginary classification?

Thought you will swim :lol:

Edited by ivy

:bouncing:

hi brother Thomas   :wave:

thank you, good to have another computer type willing to assist... 

Chuck & John here have saved me more than once from computer mishaps, mostly user error    :wall:

not a techie type, i seem to unknowingly install something or change a setting that causes me probs...

for example the last 2 wks, a repettive pop up box 'start menu 8 has updated' requesting to change my browser-

of course i uncheck the box to ok the browser change but the update has already happened --

and these updates seem to cause probs (mouse freezes or disappears)

laptop is less than 3 mos new...

under installed programs, is it ok to uninstall Pokki start Menu 8 to stop the 'updates'?

thanks again :flowers:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

same situation with each update...

since update 20 min ago,

JWB stops & starts- does not play smoothly

google chrome unresponsive,

pages freezing,

mouse disappears... 

>>>   can i uninstall this start menu and 'lose' these updates?

it seems to be the source of the probs

also, would it be good to perform a 'system restore'?

thank you, appreciate it   :)

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

same situation with each update...

since update 20 min ago,

JWB stops & starts- does not play smoothly

google chrome unresponsive,

pages freezing,

mouse disappears... 

>>>   can i uninstall this start menu and 'lose' these updates?

it seems to be the source of the probs

also, would it be good to perform a 'system restore'?

thank you, appreciate it   :)

Start with uninstalling Pokki. There may be other programs you should remove as well. If that doesn't help, you can try a system restore. You can always post a list of what's in your "Programs and Features" list (program name and manufacturer name, and I can review it.

"Thin and light" is not a real thing, it's an imaginary thing. :)

Too tired to swim.

Okay! Suppose there's ultrabook around 500 USD, right? Or no? :(

That lenovo you recommend will cost me more than 1000 USD here... And, the hp seems not yet available here or I just can't find the type you mentioned...

Edited by ivy

:bouncing:

Start with uninstalling Pokki. There may be other programs you should remove as well. If that doesn't help, you can try a system restore. You can always post a list of what's in your "Programs and Features" list (program name and manufacturer name, and I can review it.

the Pokki start menu is all the apps on my computer, right?

do i really want to remove this? will the apps still run if start menu is removed?

please present your thoughts after you review this:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-start-menu-updated-popup/

Pokki is a nasty program that brings other nasty programs along for the ride. When we see it on a computer, we remove it immediately. It is not "all the apps on your computer", however.

If you are uncomfortable, you should take it to a repair shop.

Okay! Suppose there's ultrabook around 500 USD, right? Or no? :(

That lenovo you recommend will cost me more than 1000 USD here... And, the hp seems not yet available here or I just can't find the type you mentioned...

Hard to find an ultrabook at less than $500. Plenty of inexpensive computers are thin and lightweight, though. Shop at the manufacturer's website, or you will have to visit the electronics store!

I have windows 7  (yes, I know, but it serves its purpose and I manage to get onto JWTalk, read my emails and keep an Excel data base for phone witnessing and thats all I really need it for, although JW Broadcasting can be a bit slow at times, but thats OK).   Oh, I'm also a pinterest fan. 

My husband accesses my computer when I'm not around (reads my emails etc.).    So, my question is...........How can I put a password on it so he can't get in when its first switched on?   There has to be an easy way to do it.    And Brother Thomas, I'm an old lady so your answer needs to be very clear and simple, preferably dot point.

Thanks heaps.

I have windows 7 (yes, I know, but it serves its purpose and I manage to get onto JWTalk, read my emails and keep an Excel data base for phone witnessing and thats all I really need it for, although JW Broadcasting can be a bit slow at times, but thats OK). Oh, I'm also a pinterest fan.

My husband accesses my computer when I'm not around (reads my emails etc.). So, my question is...........How can I put a password on it so he can't get in when its first switched on? There has to be an easy way to do it. And Brother Thomas, I'm an old lady so your answer needs to be very clear and simple, preferably dot point.

Thanks heaps.

Windows 7 is actually the best edition of Windows so far. It's a little too early to say anything about Windows 10 yet,

To set a password that will prevent your "desktop" from being accessed by anybody but you (we techs can get past it though, but the average user can't) Click on the start button , choose "Control panel" and then choose "User accounts" and you will see the option to "Create a password for your account".

Click on that and just follow the directions.

Edited by Musky

Absolutely brilliant.   Yes.   Logged off and back on twice to make sure and works like a charm.    Thank you so much Musky, its been such a nuisance not having a password.   Not that I have secrets, its just that I like a bit of privacy regarding what I say to my fleshly sisters, my spiritual family as well as field service records for letter writing that a sister and I do.    My password is absolutely safe, although I will give it to my daughters in case I kark it tomorrow.

So many of you brothers and sisters are very clever regarding computers, and its so nice to be able to call on any of you to help out.  In the new world I'll be able to repay you Musky.....I can teach you to knit.....or darn socks......sew on a button.....the list is endless. 

Thanks again my brother, I'm really chuffed.

Can you make review for lenovo K4450, E series and asus zenbook?

The K4450 appears to be a foreign market model; I'm having difficulty finding details. The guts are good; it is an IdeaPad which is known for poor build quality, but those hinges look like a ThinkPad's, so it may be OK. Looks decent.

Lenovo E series is ThinkPad Edge. The quality of these is unfortunately very flaky. I've seen several critical design flaws in them that resulted in horribly broken computers. Do Not Buy.

The ZenBooks are nice, but they have their flaws as well. ASUS hardware does not seem to be designed for longevity. I don't recommend it, but you could do far worse.

Edited by train