JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Have computer questions/problems? I'm here to help.

What version of Windows does it run? Sounds like someone assigned it a static IP address. You need to go into network settings and check the box that says "obtain IP address automatically" or something like that, depending on your version of Windows. 

It's Windows 7

The laptop I am using right now has a log in dialog that says 'another computer is using this same address, contact administrator' (or something like that.) How do I fix this? OT, but I already have been hacked, phished, spywared (other computer) and somethings I don't even have terms for. Working on disinfecting my other computer to back up the harddrive externally. TMI.

That happened to me too, and I have Vista, something strange is going on, I'm just saying...

I haven't noticed this issue with Windows 7, the adapter IP configuration is set to obtain the IP address automatically by default. Could this have been a computer from work or somewhere that an IT guy would have set it up on a Local area network? 

I can walk you through checking the IP settings, but if it hasn't been changed by someone, that won't be the problem.

I haven't noticed this issue with Windows 7, the adapter IP configuration is set to obtain the IP address automatically by default. Could this have been a computer from work or somewhere that an IT guy would have set it up on a Local area network? 

I can walk you through checking the IP settings, but if it hasn't been changed by someone, that won't be the problem.

This is a home computer that was rarely used and not always updated.

Then I doubt there is an IP address assigned to it, someone would have had to do that manually.

There may be an issue with your wireless router. It may be faulty and assigning the same IP address to different systems. Try rebooting the router. Just unplug it for a minute or two and then plug it back in. 

if the laptop is never used for gaming, but mostly for WT CD-Rom, our website, emails, occasional internet...

which drivers need to be updated?

does it take up valuable space, gb, etc to update them if not needed or necessary?

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I have a Dell Venue 8 pro tablet now running windows 10, and a dell Vostro laptop also now running windows 10.  JW Library app was working on it fine, but now on both devices, articles and verses will not open.  I am able to download the books as an exemple, and scroll through the chapters, but not actually able to open them.  I am also able to navigate the Bible books, chapters but not actually able to open the chapters to the verses. 

Any advise? (I have tried reinstalling the apps to no avail)

Useful programs to keep your computer maintained; they all have free trial versions.

1) Ccleaner
2) Malwarebytes
3) Revo uninstaller
4) Hard Disk Sentinel
5) Auslogics disk defrag

Ccleaner will go thru and clear out clutter you get from browsing and also clear out the registry of programs fragments left behind.

Malwarebytes is a decent adware program cleaner; it also might get some viruses but its not branded as anti virus

Revo uninstaller is a program unistaller that also hunts down fragments and clears the registry of said program.

Hard disk sentinel will tell you if your hard drive is starting to get bad which is the first thing a computer repair person will want to look at.

you don't need a defrag program but most don't know how to get the windows one to work.

If you want a program that updates your drivers you could try the Iobit Advanced system care; but i would unistall it after you use it with the revo uninstaller after. 
Intel also has a driver installer program. (intel driver update utility installer)  http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect.   
but the best thing is to goto your manufactures site and get the latest drivers.

If you want to speed up your computer a little after doing all of the above or do this before all of the above.

goto start/run   type  msconfig    then goto the start up tab and turn all your pragams off you knopw how to use manually and that don't need to run everytime you turn you computer on.
then goto the services tab and check mark "Hide Microsot services"  then uncheck all the programs you can update manually and run manually.

you can get free anti virus but i've had good success with norton products.  microsoft has free anti virus that some seem happy with. others like avas. if you find you might have a virus you can download norton 30 day trial and its fully functional and it will atleast clean out your virus.  also you want to get in the habit of running "rootkit" scans. these are viruses that load themselves pre windows.  NPE  is free to use.  and malwarebytes has a rootkit scan in the scan/custom scan tab.

If you ever have enough damage to have to reinstall windows then use a program called Belarc and save the scan to flash drive.  it will document your program licenses and help you to retain some of your programs that way.

My biggest advice and pro tip of the day............ get a SSD  Solid State Drive if you have the money for it and get someone to install it for you.  If not your next computer purchase make that your top priority.

Hello, I think I may have asked this previously somewhere, but due to the problem I cant find my way around to fix it.  My grand-daughter was playing with my computer and somehow or other, the size of my desktop icons and screen is huge.   I know its easy to fix, but could someone please tell me how to do it - again.    Sorry.   I will write it down in my diary this time, in case it happens again.  

Hello, I think I may have asked this previously somewhere, but due to the problem I cant find my way around to fix it.  My grand-daughter was playing with my computer and somehow or other, the size of my desktop icons and screen is huge.   I know its easy to fix, but could someone please tell me how to do it - again.    Sorry.   I will write it down in my diary this time, in case it happens again.  

Which version of Windows do you have? 7,8,10?

There are a few things that can cause this. One is that the "accessibility" setting is turned on, or maybe the screen resolution is just on a lower setting. Right-mouse click on a blank spot on your desktop and choose "Display settings" If you have Windows 10, you will need to choose "Advanced Display settings" once the WIndow opens. Look for the "resolution" setting and move it up to a higher resolution and see if that fixes the problem. 

It could be a worse reason.  Lot of times when your graphics driver or card has an issue it will reset the display settings.  If you have a friend or relative or young person you know that can check it for you.

You should probly uninstall reinstall the latest graphics driver.

and Read the post above;  The Hard Disk Sentinel is nice to have instaled and do a "short self- test" to check if your hard drive is going out.

Other then that what musky says is a simple settings issue.  for windows 7 you would right click your desktop screen and choose personalize; then display at the bottom left.    then read the first screen;  do the adjust resolution; calibrate color; and adjust cleartype text.

Chuck your replies are always straight on & helpful...

when you have a minute...

1. laptop is never used for gaming, mostly for WT CD-Rom, our website, emails, occasional internet...

which drivers need to be updated? does updating unnecessary drivers take up valuable space?
  2. also, Chrome users do you still have "ok google" voice search available?
       mine disappeared today. strange.
  performed recovery to earlier date but it did not come back. interested in others experiences.

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Thanks Musky and Richard, my computer is Windows 7.    I went into Control Panel and changed the display etc. and now its back to normal - thank goodness.  Spent almost an hour trying to reconfigure it back before having the bright idea of posting to the site........its so hard being a christian isnt it - specially when all you want to do is break someones arm in a couple of places.     I thought she was just playing games, but turns out she was just playing!!   I've written it down in case it happens again.    Thanks again for your help. 

I recently started having problem with the Windows 10 new browser Edge hanging up when I would go to MSN.Com so I tried IE and it did the same thing. I tried Chrome and it didn't hang up as much but it was slow. Last night I tried to watch a video on JWB and it was blank, I downloaded it and tried to watch it with VLC and it was still blank.

I checked my updates and I found this had updated on 9/22

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3087040)

I uninstalled it and my browsers seem to be working again. They are not freezing on MSN.Com and I could watch a video on JWB.

Would the IE Flash Player update cause those problems or should I keep looking for another problem?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I recently started having problem with the Windows 10 new browser Edge hanging up when I would go to MSN.Com so I tried IE and it did the same thing. I tried Chrome and it didn't hang up as much but it was slow. Last night I tried to watch a video on JWB and it was blank, I downloaded it and tried to watch it with VLC and it was still blank.

I checked my updates and I found this had updated on 9/22

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3087040)

I uninstalled it and my browsers seem to be working again. They are not freezing on MSN.Com and I could watch a video on JWB.

Would the IE Flash Player update cause those problems or should I keep looking for another problem?

I noticed that the Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3087040) reinstalled on 9/29 but the video problems that I was having did not come back so now I wonder if the security update had not fully installed the first time...So far so good...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I wrote in a question to the moderators a few weeks ago or maybe days ago (I can't remember well) and asked them how come when I get to this part of the forum that I can no longer paste any thing on here.  I was advised to use Chrome (which I did) and I manage to put down one pasted story in it, but after that one, I could no longer do it.  No matter if am using Chrome or Firefox.   I see an article, I cut and then try to paste it in here in the subject that it should be in, but when I click on the double copy in my box the copy box isn't showing nor the other boxes next to it.  It won't let me do anything from outside of the box.  I can write in here and make a statement but I can't copy or paste using the icon above .  The font and Size work, the colors work , the smiley's work, I don't use My Media, the next 3 icons are okay, so is the reverse but as soon as I go to the copy and paste icons there are not highlighted and are somewhat invisible.   What could be the problem?  Anyone's guess?  HELP

Dear friends, right now I am not able to afford internet but I would like to know what I can use my desk top computer for without internet?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by loving life

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Dear friends, right now I am not able to afford internet but I would like to know what I can use my desk top computer for without internet?

Thanks in advance.

That is a vague question. That is like asking where you can drive without using a freeway. 

What do you want to do with your computer and how are you getting on the forum without internet access?

Thanks in advance.

I do a lot of research using Watchtower Library. Type up my meeting parts. Save and categorize photos. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I do a lot of research using Watchtower Library. Type up my meeting parts. Save and categorize photos.

Thanks Bro. Jerry, that kinda stuff and any other things that can be done on a desk top without internet.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

That is a vague question. That is like asking where you can drive without using a freeway. 

What do you want to do with your computer and how are you getting on the forum without internet access?

I use my smartphone to access the forum.