JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Have computer questions/problems? I'm here to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have upgraded my computer to windows 10 and I love it! the main issue that I have however is the wt library will not install under windows 10. Can anybody help me please? Has anybody succesfully got the cd library installed under windows 10?

Thanks in advance

Rae

Hello everyone!

I have upgraded my computer to windows 10 and I love it! the main issue that I have however is the wt library will not install under windows 10. Can anybody help me please? Has anybody succesfully got the cd library installed under windows 10?

Thanks in advance

Rae

The CD Library installs on Windows 10 in the same manner as every version before it.

In addition, you can get the JW Library app from the Store.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay all you computer geeks, I love my laptop. I have an ipad air but I rather use my laptop.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15r. My screen is going blinky, blinky so have to adjust the screen in a certain spot (sort of like tuning in the radio) to get it to stop blinking for the most part. 

My son says it is junk cus he says to pay to get this fixed would mean paying for a new laptop. 

I have sooo many pics, videos and documents on this laptop that I don't want to give it up plus I love it and am used to it. I don't like the ipad so much. The screen is too small. It takes forever for the internet to work on it. It takes forever to do most anything with it compared to my laptop which is I guess pretty fast. I usually don't have to wait at all on webpages or even downloading normal size stuff. It is great for streaming videos. 

Anyway just wanted everyone's advice. Is there a way to fix my laptop? 

Hi Deenna!

How do you " adjust the screen in a certain spot"? What kind of adjustment do you make that corrects the issue even if only temporarily? 

Usually, when laptop screens start failing it is either the LCD screen itself or the power Inverter. Replacing the screen is not necessarily as expensive as a new laptop although depending on the make and model, it could be close with labor thrown in. The average price of a replacement screen with inverter is around $100. You would need to find a shop that would install it for a reasonable price. 

Have you tried the display troubleshooter that many Dells come with? Read about it here:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN127964/EN

EDIT: It seems that new screens for your laptop are only around $50! Here they are on Ebay. I am not recommending any particular seller, this is just for reference: We would need more details to determine the correct one for your particular laptop. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.X+Dell+Inspiron+15r+LCD.TRS0&_nkw=+Dell+Inspiron+15r+LCD&_sacat=0

Edited by Musky

Hi Deenna!

How do you " adjust the screen in a certain spot"? What kind of adjustment do you make that corrects the issue even if only temporarily? 

Usually I have to tilt it back just in the right spot. It really doesn't like being tilted forward at all. lol

Thanks for the info on the screens will go and read up on the websites you posted. 

Okay all you computer geeks, I love my laptop. I have an ipad air but I rather use my laptop.

I have sooo many pics, videos and documents on this laptop that I don't want to give it up plus I love it and am used to it. I don't like the ipad so much. The screen is too small. It takes forever for the internet to work on it. It takes forever to do most anything with it compared to my laptop which is I guess pretty fast. I usually don't have to wait at all on webpages or even downloading normal size stuff. It is great for streaming videos. 

Anyway just wanted everyone's advice. Is there a way to fix my laptop? 

I had a laptop that I to loved. It had all my photos, letters, public talks, lots of programs I can no longer source. I even had a backup running all the time.

Disk drive failed, used backup to restore all my information on a new computer. Backup drive failed. So the only info I have now is on CDs from when I transferred every thing from my really old computer to the one I loved. All ones eggs in one basket can be messy.

Wish I had put everything in the cloud.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I had a laptop that I to loved. It had all my photos, letters, public talks, lots of programs I can no longer source. I even had a backup running all the time.

Disk drive failed, used backup to restore all my information on a new computer. Backup drive failed. So the only info I have now is on CDs from when I transferred every thing from my really old computer to the one I loved. All ones eggs in one basket can be messy.

Wish I had put everything in the cloud.

This is a big fear of mine. My son says I need to put all my stuff on those memory sticks. Have never used one yet so sort of intimidated. 

But I guess it would be like copying a folder to a file, etc. 

I guess I should concentrate on getting that done first just in case. 

Usually I have to tilt it back just in the right spot. It really doesn't like being tilted forward at all. lol

Thanks for the info on the screens will go and read up on the websites you posted. 

That sounds to me like a loose connection in the cable that runs to the internal video card on the motherboard. It runs through one of the hinges and often comes loose. You need to remove the bezel and check the connection or find someone who knows how to do it for you. I'm sure there is a YouTube video on how to do this. 

That sounds to me like a loose connection in the cable that runs to the internal video card on the motherboard. It runs through one of the hinges and often comes loose. You need to remove the bezel and check the connection or find someone who knows how to do it for you. I'm sure there is a YouTube video on how to do this. 

Thanks Musky, I will check out youtube on this. 

This is a big fear of mine. My son says I need to put all my stuff on those memory sticks. Have never used one yet so sort of intimidated. 

But I guess it would be like copying a folder to a file, etc. 

I guess I should concentrate on getting that done first just in case.

External hard drives are exceedingly inexpensive and excellent backup utilities are built into Windows 8.1+10 and OSX.

Train very interésting topic. Any reason you may know, why when i tried windows 10 it would not allow me tto play mp4 format?

No, not sure. If you are using VLC Player you should be able to play every format under the sun. If you are using something like the Movies & TV app you may have a harder time.

Thank you! I will try vlc player. I thought I would have to buy an app or something (which I am not interested in doing lol. It seems as though win 10 took my win 7 into the world of app like I actually have a new comp.

However, I tried on my nieces n nephews dell laptops, did not receive the invite and bottom line there were two updates previously considered optional but later mandatory....so ifix that on all 3 of them only to get update started, and after a few hours it said the bios were not correct.I learned a lot while trying to install on theirs,but it was rather disappointing lol.

I was a scaredy-cat to start messing with the bios:-)

I have no idea what you just said.  :huh:

By "external hard drive" he means a portable hard drive that plugs into a USB port. It works the same as a "memory stick" or "thumb-drive" but has a much larger capacity, so it can hold much more data. 

Edited by Musky

You were so right Musky!

I watched one of those videos on how to take it apart and it wasn't the connection from down below but a very small connection that was at the top of the back of my screen. It was hanging by a thread.

Got my laptop to stop blinking and decided to install Windows 10 and now it wont keep an internet connection. I googled the problem and guess what I am not the only one.

I tried some of the fixes but the internet still comes and goes. So now I am on my ipad. I guess I am forced to get to know my ipad air. You can't really call mine an "air" anymore cus I got a zagg case with the typing pad and it is heavy but my husband doesn't want me to destroy it anytime soon. lol

You were so right Musky!

I watched one of those videos on how to take it apart and it wasn't the connection from down below but a very small connection that was at the top of the back of my screen. It was hanging by a thread.

Got my laptop to stop blinking and decided to install Windows 10 and now it wont keep an internet connection. I googled the problem and guess what I am not the only one.

I tried some of the fixes but the internet still comes and goes. So now I am on my ipad. I guess I am forced to get to know my ipad air. You can't really call mine an "air" anymore cus I got a zagg case with the typing pad and it is heavy but my husband doesn't want me to destroy it anytime soon. lol

There's a few computers that have issues with Windows 10 but a clean install may fix things.  Now that you've upgraded, Microsoft has record of your unique hardware ID (a code generated by the mix of hardware you have) and when you reinstall Windows 10 from a disk, it will automatically activate.

You can legally download Windows 10 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10and create a USB stick or DVD with it.  Make sure you pick the proper edition (Home or Professional, most likely Home).

You can then boot from the disk you create and install Windows 10 fresh!  Windows 10 is pretty good about getting most, if not all, hardware drivers for most computers.  If you still need drivers for a device (check Device Manager), you can download them from the manufacturer's website.

Train,

When trying to open IE, I get the error code "Scripted Diagnostics Native Host has stopped working". This means anything to you? Thanks!

Problem one: you're using Internet Explorer.  Please, please, PLEASE switch to Chrome, Firefox, or even Microsoft Edge.

Second: this is usually something in your system having become corrupted.  You can try the advice here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833and you may want to have your hard drive checked for hardware failure by using a tool like HD Sentinel (just google it, the free "standard" version works fine).