JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dressing or Stuffing

I am not asking what you call it because I am not a fanatic and insist on proper terminology.  I was probably 25 when I learned the difference---dressing is that side dish baked along side the turkey and stuffing is when it is inside the bird.  Makes sense.  I just never thought about it.

I use the terms interchangeably whether it be inside or outside the bird.

I love dressing because it is so versatile!  So many excellent combinations to serve with a main course besides turkey!  I love it with pork chops, ham loaf, chicken and roast beef. 

Yesterday I made chicken and dressing in a crockpot.  I took my chicken tenders and cooked them in broth with poultry seasoning.  In a large wok I sautéed a Vidalia onion, 4 stalks of celery, and a package of cubed butternut squash.  After approx. 10-12 minutes I added two handfuls of dried cranberries then 2-3 T of poultry seasoning and 1 cup of white wine.  This simmered another 10 minutes then I stirred in dried crumble cornbread, and 10 cups of toasted cubed bread.  I stirred this altogether in the wok and added enough chicken broth just to make it moist.  I don't care for a dense cornbread that has been over saturated with too much liquid.  After it all came together I spooned half in top of the shredded chicken in the crockpot and then another layer of chicken and more dressing.  Cooked it for 2 hrs on low.  It was very good.

I thought this combination of ingredients was wonderful.  I had never used the butternut squash before but I will again, and soon.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

My mother, grandmother, and all them folks back then said "stuffing." So I guess that's why I use that term. I remember going to the supermarket and asked where the stuffing was. Lol. The look they gave me. But one time a very wise young man, with a twinkle in his smile, lol, told me what aisle. When Thanksgiving/Christmas rolled around while growing up, our mother sent us to the store to get a box of stuffing, which meant the ingredients you put in it...all in a box.

Some things just never leave you.

Edited by Luezette

Of course, they used day old bread, chicken gizzards, celery, etc with the boxed stuffing ingredients. Delicious!!!

Nowadays, there's bread crumbs, corn meal. But I'm sorry. There's nothing like day old bread!!! You toast it, crumble it, mixed it up with your celery, cooked gizzards, stuffing ingredients and I tell ya...you wonder whatcha like best: the turkey or the stuffing!

Of course, they used day old bread, chicken gizzards, celery, etc with the boxed stuffing ingredients. Delicious!!!

Nowadays, there's bread crumbs, corn meal. But I'm sorry. There's nothing like day old bread!!! You toast it, crumble it, mixed it up with your celery, cooked gizzards, stuffing ingredients and I tell ya...you wonder whatcha like best: the turkey or the stuffing!

Raisin bread stuffing, my fave to make. No real recipe.

For yard birds (large or small ones) I like a sage based dressing/stuffing - and I do put it in the bird.

I prefer to use bread. Plain bread, fresh bread, wheat bread, hot dog/hamburg buns, day old, stale - doesn't matter, I can make them all work.

Though I like a good cornbread and have had some very tasty dressing/stuffing made with cornbread, I like it made with yeast bread better.

I have even made bread just to use it for the inside of the bird.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~