JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Disney Ride

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3172 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

There was a rumor that Universal was thinking of building Star Trek attractions in Orlando, but they were put aside when they started building the expanded Wizarding World. After that opened, they began building a new King Kong attraction that'll open next year. Now they made a deal with Nintendo to build Nintendo attractions. They are moving quickly on both fronts. Now it looks like Star Trek may be permanently tabled. These new Star Wars attractions look amazing. Can't wait to see how Disney pulls this off. The upcoming Avatar project looks amazing as well.

It won't be open in 2017. Avatar will be, but not Star Wars. We're looking at an opening around 2019-2020 and that's being optimistic. They haven't broke ground on anything Star Wars related yet.

I know a few people who work in operations and they are very knowledgeable about this project. They may not know what's going into the land, but they know the logistics of the build and how long it'll take. Plus, Disney takes forever in building new attractions. It took them 4 years to build a kiddie coaster in the Magic Kingdom and nearly 4 years between announcing Avatar and actually breaking ground on it. Once ground breaks on Star Wars, then we can measure when it'll open. On top of all this, where this is being built is not prepped yet. Tons of stuff will have to be demolished, cleared, and moved before this can break ground.

Since I love close to Orlando and know a lot of people who work at both Universal and Disney (and they're brothers), I get juicy details. Expect a lot of universal attractions to open before any of this stuff at Disney does.

Actually, Great America, the theme park, did not own Star Trek ..... Paramount, the owner of Star Trek owned the theme park ..... and, we all know how Paramount treated Star Trek - and, they no longer own the park.

After owning the park for only two years, Paramount was bought out by Viacom - who had vast and varied interests - put more emphasis on "kid" related themes, not Star Trek. During the time it was owned by Viacom, it also had shared ownership with some of the local stations. Also, since Viacom is/was joined at the hip with CBS, guess which network got the top billing.

Then, with the number of times Great America changed hands after that, and them being "land locked", it is no wonder they never built a really great Star Trek area.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I guess related.  Given that many of our brothers and sisters are in the construction trades, is it a conscience matter to work on certain projects?  For instance, what if you're building a new Harry Potter-themed ride, or some other ride whose theme runs contrary to Bible standards-- witchcraft, spiritism, violence, etc.?  

Didn't know if anyone has run into this issue before.

I'm a little bit nervous mentioning/asking this, but since the topic is Disney's new ride/attraction that they've announced . . . I did read about their new seasonal event they are going to be having (to do with Star Wars).  And I'm sure I read 'early in the year'.   I'd love to know when abouts this would be but so far there hasn't been any announcements so far on exact dates. 

Brother Jeff, no dates have been announced for Season of the Force, but word going around is sometime around March-April. That is just of course a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sister Emily, you bring up an excellent point. A lot of different contractors and workers were brought in for the Harry Potter projects. I'm sure there were some brothers and sisters who worked for those contractors. I would love to hear how they handled the situation. Believe it or not, there are a lot of brothers and sisters who work as cast and team members at these parks and they are faced with lots of conscience issues daily, like what to do during Halloween or Christmas events. Should they work at an attraction that isn't Halloween related, but is open during a hard ticket Halloween event? Example: should a brother who regularly works at Space Mountain work at the attraction, as he would during normal operating hours, but during Mickey's Halloween Party? Is that seen as participating in the event? Would it stumble a fellow Christian if they knew about this? Good thing is that the elders know the situation in the parks and they give counsel to these brothers and sisters as to how to handle certain situations and what options they have. It's also good to know that these ones make excellent decisions and they make it known to their employers that they are Jehovah's Witnesses. The parks respect them and work with them as well so they don't put them in a situation that's difficult for them.