JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

So...I tried to be honest

I received my pay check and noticed Id been paid for two bank holiday's even though I was not working for the company during either, so I took it up with my line manager who said "I suggest you just shut up about it and keep it!" lol

My conscience is clear. haha

I wouldn't let other's be my conscience, I would at least write a letter about it. I doubt your line boss will "remember" you mentioning it when the mistake is caught.

I once got overpaid by mistake and tried to tell our payroll department about it, and every time I called whoever answered the phone would tell me to "be quiet and keep it". I still put it in writing so it would be on record and sent it to them, but didn't hear anything for a long time. Then a few months later, they caught their mistake and deducted the amount from my paycheck.

I once got overpaid at work. Here in the United States some companies pay mileage for people who drive their cars on company business. I received the mileage payment for an employee with a similar last name. I had to keep insisting the money wasn't mine until they looked into it and got everything fixed.

I'm sure in this case the error would have been caught because the other person would have complained about her missing pay.

I wouldn't let other's be my conscience' date=' I would at least write a letter about it. I doubt your line boss will "remember" you mentioning it when the mistake is caught. I once got overpaid by mistake and tried to tell our payroll department about it, and every time I called whoever answered the phone would tell me to "be quiet and keep it". I still put it in writing so it would be on record and sent it to them, but didn't hear anything for a long time. Then a few months later, they caught their mistake and deducted the amount from my paycheck.[/quote'] The mistake will be found out and I agree you need to get it documented to protect your reputation. That is more important than you can imagine. It can come back to haunt you and as Musky says, "I doubt your line boss will "remember" you mentioning it when the mistake is caught."

40000=1582-Bag_of_cash.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Welcome Deborah! Your first post! ----> :welcome:

Absolutely, be honest! Put it in writing b/c it will come back. And, don't spend it b/c it goes back to the company sooner or later.

Good advice on not spending it.

I new someone who suddenly had $5000 deposited to their checking account. They withdrew it and went on a shopping spree. A week later, the bank demanded the money, which they could not repay, and it ruined their credit and got real messy.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

By saying "I suggest you shut up about it ...." , your line manager was indicating the action he would take if he found himself in similar circumstances. It also indicates that he is not quoting company policy. What will his opinion of you be, if you take his "advice". Would this person tell others of your decision to keep your "windfall"? Will your fine reputation as one of Jehovah's Witnesses be damaged?

By saying "I suggest you shut up about it ...." ' date=' your line manager was indicating the action he would take if he found himself in similar circumstances. It also indicates that he is not quoting company policy. What will his opinion of you be, if you take his "advice". Would this person tell others of your decision to keep your "windfall"? Will your fine reputation as one of Jehovah's Witnesses be damaged?[/quote'] O so true. We are spectacles in this world and they watch everything to see how we react to things. When have you ever heard, "I know a Baptist or a Catholic who did this or that, but let us do one small thing and we're on CNN.

40060=1593-Animated Gif Mice (10).gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.