JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tooth extraction...

I am literally at times banging my head on the wall with the pain in my jaw after having two teeth extracted today, well the wisdom tooth was partially done as the roots curve too much.

I have taken the max of ibuprofen as well as paracetamol with codeine and it barely brings the pain down. Pain from above my eye right down to my neck. Grrrrrrrrr. My wife wouldn't hit me with a bat to try to get some sleep.;)

Any ideas what else I can try.

Edited by Mykyl

If you are taking the 12 hour Ibuprofen, my pharmacist suggested to also take the 12 hour Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 6 hours after taking the Ibuprofen - then continue each on their own 12 hour schedule.

Other than that, just have to tough it out for a day or two while your gum heals a bit.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

clove oil on a cotton swab applied to the area,

or if you have ground cloves in your kitchen, take a

a pinch and apply it between the gum & cheek near the sore area.

allow your saliva to mix with the ground cloves, pain should subside soon.

or place a few whole cloves near the sore area, allow them to soften, then chew, they will release the oils.

good idea before the above to rinse with warm salt water for max absorption.

in addition i have found that a good kick on the shin also helps you forget about dental pain.   :toothbrush:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

If you are taking the 12 hour Ibuprofen, my pharmacist suggested to also take the 12 hour Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 6 hours after taking the Ibuprofen - then continue each on their own 12 hour schedule.

We have done that too. I did some internet research on it and there are two methods and from what I read they both work the same. One method is to follow the normal dosing schedule for one medication but halfway through the schedule you start the dosing schedule for the other medication so you are staggering them as you described. The other method is to take them at the same time every 8 or 12 hours as you normally would. The effect from the combination of the two drugs is more than the individual drugs.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have had wisdom teeth pulled out last May and Maladee (Sherry) could be right...A dry socket could be the cause. Why not go back to your surgeon? They usually prescribe higher dose for pain... And clove is also recommended for toothpain as suggested by Feather (renee)

I also use a balm from Weleda (please google Weleda Zahnfleisch Salbei ) It is from Germany but it helps to speed healing in the mouth.My surgeon was suprised how well my gum healed within a week. I would have sent you some but don't have any left...They can be found online though, even in the States. Just make sure it is the one that says Zahnfleisch which is the word for gum in Englisch. Hopefully you are doing well though and do not need it.

I went back as the bleeding would not stop. Its stopped now but still regularly need the pain killers and bag of frozen peas.

Ah well it will get better. The dentist stuffed the sockets with something to encourage healing. Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

Another night sleeping on the couch though. :)