JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I'm an idiot

I think I killed my Nook HD.  Because I'm a germ-a-phobe (sort of), I used a wipe on it.  I have done this before, but this time I was pressing extra hard to get all the fingerprints off.  Now when I turn it on, I can't even get to the 'drag to unlock' screen.  It is stuck on flashing "99%" at me. I got a black screen about 10 minutes after this first happened, and it said something about the settings not working.  I should have touched the settings button, but, instead, turned the whole thing off, hoping it would be working again when I turned it back on.  Wrong.<sigh>

:depressed: :depressed: :depressed: :depressed: :depressed:

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

That's a shame. 

(This is from someone who bricked an iPod Touch while trying to replace the home button.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Don't keep trying it. Don't turn it on or off again. Leave it for a few days and then see if it has dried out completely. You may have to re-charge.

It's completely dry now.  I just wiped it down. I know, I know - shouldn't use anything damp, but I've done it before without any problem. 

It's still flashing "99%."  :(

I Googled it and Yahoo answers said to do a hard reset.To Hard Reset NOOK HD/NOOK HD+, complete the following: 

1. Confirm the device is powered off. 

2. Hold the Power and Home key n simultaneously. 

3. Release the Power and Home key once the NOOK logo appears. A Factory Reset prompt will appear. 

4. To continue, press the Home key. 

5. To exit, press the Power key. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I Googled it and Yahoo answers said to do a hard reset.To Hard Reset NOOK HD/NOOK HD+, complete the following: 

1. Confirm the device is powered off. 

2. Hold the Power and Home key n simultaneously. 

3. Release the Power and Home key once the NOOK logo appears. A Factory Reset prompt will appear. 

4. To continue, press the Home key. 

5. To exit, press the Power key. 

Bless you, Richard!  It worked!!!  The hard reset wiped out all my magazines and apps I had added, but it's back to normal otherwise!  Woohoo!!  :thumbsup::party::drink::dance:

I have a bunch of microfiber cloths and I use one to wipe down my computer, tablet, phones, glasses, TV, etc...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Only comment I have.....

Stop calling yourself an idiot :P

You can immerse a pcb board and a whole other host of electronic products in water (they do this during manufacturing) then all of a sudden once you get it into your possession it's allergic to water.....something stinks in that scenario.

Anyhow your story here reminds me of a video I seen which is in German.

Daughter and dad are prepping food and she asks him how he likes his new tablet.....he says he likes it just fine but thinks it's kind of fancy. HE then proceeds to go to the dishwasher after rinsing it off!! He thought it was a cutting board....

Wil have to find to post it, it's hilarious....

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Instead of wiping that screen off with a damp cloth, fashion some type of bag/ box/ cover, and store it. Then wash your hands before you want to use it.

Yes, but when you go to the meeting (or anywhere else), you shake hands, open doors, etc., and pick up all sorts of germs, then use your device.  I'm not a fanatic, but I would like to be able to get rid of some of the wee beasties.  ;)