JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watermelon ... would it be appropriate for me and

a few young sisters to distribute mint flavoured watermelon to brothers and sisters in the lunch break of the up and coming Assembly day we are having. (bearing in mind here in NZ it's likely to be quite hot) Just thought in line with slaving for our brothers and sisters this would be a fine way to refresh them and show our love in a practical way.

Or ... would it be calling undue attention to ourselves?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

a few young sisters to distribute mint flavoured watermelon to brothers and sisters in the lunch break of the up and coming Assembly day we are having. (bearing in mind here in NZ it's likely to be quite hot) Just thought in line with slaving for our brothers and sisters this would be a fine way to refresh them and show our love in a practical way.

Or ... would it be calling undue attention to ourselves?

Sister, far from it!!! I assuming it a cold watermelon and it will cool the friend off on a hot day. On a hot day in the new world, I will be eating a half or a whole cold watermelon. Sis, what you did for others is a gift from God and everyone was happy.

I would do all prep night before and use chilly bins and ice to keep them cold until lunch, then brothers and sisters could put the skins back into the chilly bins afterwards. It's just that I'm aware there are many travelling some hours for this special day and some are financially low, watermelon is a refreshing treat, that can't be bought by the slice, but rather by the KG or a whole watermelon which proves to be quite expensive. So I thought if we instead of buying a lot of groceries that week - we buy a few fresh watermelons, cut them up put them on ice with a little fresh mint ... would be a lovely treat for the brothers and sisters, and a great example for our youngers ones with hospitality.

Still mulling it over ... have thought of doing it for a year or two now, and with my recent change of circumstances it could be quite encouraging for all concerned.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

We have gotten away from showing this type of loving hospitality, especially where larger numbers are concerned - because of that, we question ourselves when we want to show it! You are doing this with a good motive and for the benefit of others and following "the course of hospitality" - how could anything be wrong with that?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I think just be aware that watermelon is a high glucose index food and should be avoided by diabetics except in small amounts.

I think it is a commendable thought - (for me, I would politely refuse because of my diabetes, but others' mileage may vary.) and I applaud your generosity of mind. :)

It's for selfish reasons too, I need distraction at the moment, otherwise my emotions will take over and I will find it difficult to focus on the program. So don't praise me up too much haha.

I think just be aware that watermelon is a high glucose index food and should be avoided by diabetics except in small amounts.

I think it is a commendable thought - (for me, I would politely refuse because of my diabetes, but others' mileage may vary.) and I applaud your generosity of mind. :)

Yes watermelon unlike pears are hi GI but do have essential vitamins that when eaten in small doses even by diabetics is beneficial as part of a balanced diet, but yes I'd make sure we offered it to parents of small children. Point well taken.

There have been several times at the kh builds that sisters did exactly that - no one thought it was anything other than what it was - a welcomed relief on really hot days

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~