JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

News from Taganrog

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3062 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Suspended sentences are good. From forum18.org they are treating the friends around Russia very badly. Definitely keeping they in my prayers.

The only good thing of suspended sentences is that they don't have to be in jail for the next five years.  However, the brothers would violate their probation in a week, and that's what the Judge and the police are waiting for, to violate them and request imprisonment.  The brother in the video mentioned they will appeal.

I really liked what the brother said almost at the end of his announcement.  We will be appealing this to Russia's highest Court (I guess its their version of the Supreme Court that we have in USA).  He made a good comment about extremist religion comparing those in Paris and the murders they committed in the name of their religion, and then the Russian Judicial system attacking Jehovah's people for being Extremists.  He mentioned that Jehovah's people in Russia and worldwide, are peaceful and love their neighbors.   That comment gave me goose pimples!  Excellent come back!

I wonder if the Bible being taken off the "extremist" book list will have any bearing on the sentence for these ones.  As long as the Bible was considered "extremist" then those who lived by it would be too.  But since it's off the list, it could very well possibly be that nothing will ever come of these sentences and fines and possibly there could be exhonorations in the future for these ones.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Update (an excerpt from article) on our brothers in Russia regarding current 16 Witnesses case.

http://www.forum18.org/archive.php?article_id=2128

3 December 2015

RUSSIA: Criminal convictions for "extremist" prayer and Bible-reading meetings

Longest Jehovah's Witness criminal trial

The Taganrog case has been the longest criminal trial of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. The first round of court proceedings reached the two-year deadline for prosecutions in August 2013, but continued at the request of the defendants, who wished to prove their innocence in court.

The drawn-out proceedings and numerous court appearances have taken their toll on the defendants. Some lost their jobs and none was allowed to leave Taganrog during the trial without official permission, Jehovah's Witnesses noted on 15 September. "We cannot work, we cannot spend enough time with our families and relax normally," they quoted Kirill Kravchenko as complaining. Tatyana Kravchenko added: "It affects my health. Either I can't fall asleep or I wake up in the middle of the night. All the time I think about the trial, scroll through in my mind everything that has happened there." Elder Nikolai Trotsyuk has been repeatedly admitted to hospital for stress.

The 2009 liquidation of the Taganrog Jehovah's Witness congregation as allegedly "extremist" was used to justify banning all Jehovah's Witness activity in the city, a ban subsequently upheld by the Supreme Court (see F18News 8 December 2009

http://www.forum18.org/archive.php?article_id=1385).

When the community's former members continued to meet for prayer and Bible study, they were accused of "continuing the activity of an extremist organisation", despite the fact that, under the 1997 Religion Law, individuals may legally meet as an unregistered religious group.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

We know that Jehovah is watching.

The fact they have given suspended sentences shows that the judges are wary of what might have come down if the sentences were kept in force.

Pressure to conform to western standards will begin to take force, reducing further mischief to our brothers. At lease that is what I see will happen.

Jehovah could completely surprise us too, strange things could happen.

Keep our brothers in our prayers.

I notice that several Muslim groups are in scrutiny and that they will benefit from what happens to our brothers, strange eh?

Statement by US Embassy Spokesperson William Stevens on Ruling in Jehovah's Witnesses Case.

There is one thing in this statement, from the Embassy, that I take exception to. It is in the last paragraph, the first sentence.

This person is hinting that repression of religion causes violence.

That may be, almost certainly is, true for some.

But NOT for us....

The country of Russia has nothing, Nothing, to fear from Jehovah's Witnesses.....however,

From our Great God Almighty Jehovah?

That is another story altogether. ...

Let God's Kingdom come. .

Edited by tekmantwo