JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

archeologist find king hezekiah seal

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3060 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

From insight book

(Hez·e·kiʹah) [Jehovah Strengthens].

I was liking the article until I see this quote-

"The minuscule, centimeter-long artifact is decorated with Egyptian-style motifs — a winged sun disk and an ankh, symbol of life. Iconography of this sort had already been appropriated by Judean leaders and appear on other contemporary seals across the ancient Near East.

“The Egyptian motifs were spread over the second millennium BCE all over the region” and no longer bore their original significance, Mazar explained. Ancient Judeans employed the sun disk to denote the Almighty, and its bowed wings may connote Hezekiah’s expression that “my power is thanks to God’s protection,” she said.

“It was nothing like what it meant to the Egyptians,” she said.

The bulla was found during excavations in 2009 but its significance was initially overlooked by researchers. Only this year did Hebrew University archaeologist Reut Ben Arieh decipher the inscription on the seal impression and determine its significance.

An initial study of the seal read the bottom register as the name “Melkiyahu,” but once she noticed tiny punctuation marks in the middle, separating the letters into the words “king” and “Judah,” Ben Arieh told The Times of Israel, “immediately we understood” that it read “king of Judea.”"

Really, an 'ankh'!? I hope more research goes into this.

post-4555-0-53872700-1449150955_thumb.jp

post-4555-0-61730600-1449150968_thumb.jp

Edited by AH173

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I wonder if the 'ankh' seal was introduced when he was later in his kingship when he made his mistakes? It's probable and possible.

Insight

Hezekiah’s Mistake and Repentance. The Scripture record states that “according to the benefit rendered him Hezekiah made no return, for his heart became haughty and there came to be indignation against him and against Judah and Jerusalem.” (2Ch 32:25)

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I opened the tab for the Bible verse that was there and it took me to The Bible Gateway site.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Kings+18%3A5-7&version=YLT

Of the 53 English Bibles on that site (which does NOT include our Bibles), 4 were just New Testament, 40 use the Lord, instead of Jehovah's name.

Three use Jehovah: American Standard Version, Darby Translation and Young's Literal Translation.

Complete Jewish Bible uses Adonai.

Lexam English and World English use Yahweh.

Names of God uses Yahweh Elohim.

Orthodox Jewish uses Hashem.

The Voice uses Eternal One.

I immediately thought of these verses--in OUR Bibles:

For "everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved." However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him?  How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard?  How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?  How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent out?  Just as it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!"--Romans 10:13-15

I'm hoping to have beautiful feet this weekend. ^_^  The weather here is unseasonably BEAUTIFUL, with temps in the upper 30s and heading for the mid-40s. post-5984-0-88967400-1449154930.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I wonder if the 'ankh' seal was introduced when he was later in his kingship when he made his mistakes? It's probable and possible.

Insight

Hezekiah’s Mistake and Repentance. The Scripture record states that “according to the benefit rendered him Hezekiah made no return, for his heart became haughty and there came to be indignation against him and against Judah and Jerusalem.” (2Ch 32:25)

Quite possibly Ashley. This article suggests they were added later http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3344295/A-mark-power-Tiny-2-700-year-old-royal-seal-Judah-s-greatest-king-discovered-ancient-rubbish-dump-Jerusalem.html

I like the article but (from reading JW Library - Hezekiah article) I can see no Scriptural account of this quote :

"During the conflict, Hezekiah allied himself with Egypt, which may help to explain the presence of the ankh symbol – the Egyptian hieroglyphs for life – on his seal."

Very interesting find.

Did anyone else notice the Ankh Cross or Egyptian Cross) at the right side?

Any idea to the significance of this symbol? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Very interesting find.

Did anyone else notice the Ankh Cross or Egyptian Cross) at the right side?

Any idea to the significance of this symbol? 

If I remember correctly, the Ankh symbolizes 'life'.

When greeting kings, people often said, "May you live to times indefinite."

Maybe it meant a hope for a long reign? :huh: 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I wonder if this is really King Hezekiah's? The report below said that the bulla contains an imprint of a winged sun and the egyptian cross.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34988649

Israeli archaeologists say they have found a 2,700-year-old piece of clay inscribed with a biblical king's seal.
It is thought the oval bulla, which is 13mm (0.5in) wide, was once attached to a papyrus document signed by Hezekiah, one of the kings of Judah.

It was found by a team from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem at the site of an ancient dump, beside the wall that surrounds Jerusalem's Old City.

It is believed to have been thrown out with the rubbish from a royal building.

The bulla is imprinted with the symbol of a winged sun and an inscription in an ancient Hebrew script, saying: "Belonging to Hezekiah [son of] Ahaz king of Judah".

Hezekiah, who ruled from 727-698BC, is described favourably in the Bible, as well as in the chronicles of the Assyrian kings, who ruled during his time.

Although he was an Assyrian vassal, he successfully maintained the independent standing of the Judean Kingdom and its capital Jerusalem, which he enhanced economically, religiously, and diplomatically.

"He trusted in the Lord God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor any that were before him," says one verse in the second Book of Kings in the Bible.

The bulla was found in 2009, but was put into storage after an initial inspection failed to establish its origin. Only recently did an archaeologist discern what the inscription said.

Eilat Mazar of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem's Institute of Archaeology said the bulla sealed a document written on a papyrus rolled and tied with thin cords, which left their mark on the back.

"This is the first time that a seal impression of an Israelite or Judean king has ever come to light in a scientific archaeological excavation," she added.