JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Don't down load win 10

It didnt work on my machine. I turned off auto download.

Maybe you need to use your puter for a Boat Anchor :boating:  There was another stabilization update for win 10 just in past day.

Update your Bios and if have more than 4 Gb ram use 64 bit operating system. 32 bit OS only uses approx. 3.2 Gb ram

Acronis had a Free backup program ( 2015 early release ) that you burn to disk and do a live boot into the disk ( live disk bypasses installed OS ). Hiren's Boot DVD & CD versions 15.2 revised also contain an older version of it. Hiren's is a live disk, and I recommend booting into live win 7 from DVD version if you can, xp if you can't.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Installed win 10 at work today - very scary!  But I had  a little issue with the free upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on my home puter, which I can't seem to resolve.

Has anyone else had issues saving files to Documents or Pictures folders?

I let my lap top update to Windows 10 (it kept bugging me constantly and I finally "gave in") and it completely lost my documents, pictures, my email, my Microsoft Excel and Word, etc.  It left a few programs on there.  I went to their help "on-line" and let them take control of my computer and even they could not find my documents, excel spreadsheets or pictures or any of that.  I tried to do a "restore" - the W10 does not recognize the earlier program that has a restore point!  They wanted me to do it again (I checked to "save files") and then I was left with a black screen and the Recycle "Trash Can" and nothing else.

I am a Realtor so that would mean I lost all my contracts, photos on houses, visual tours, etc.  So I was pretty upset.  Took it to the hospital - they were able to put an earlier Windows on it (7 I believe) and tried to save my files.  Cost me $125.  I have found my excel files but have not found my Word files.  I lost all my "favorites" and have had to slowly add them back - I was having to find my passwords and everything.  It will be a slow re-build - I have had to reinstall programs such as Microsoft Office (Excel/Word/Picture Mgr), Visual Tour, Quickbooks, HP printer, Adobe Acrobat (for saving and emailing documents and contracts), my photo program, etc.

My computer guy says my email program does not work with W10 so it is completely gone and so I have to figure something else out on an email program (for my business).  I hate the "web mail" program that our server uses and I have not been able to restore Windows "Live Mail" that I was using.  Seems to have some sort of glitch in it and will not let me load my email info for some odd reason.  He says the data is there - I just have to find it and may not ever be able to.  Probably have to reinstall hundreds of email addresses again as soon as I find a good program for that.  I may have to go to "gmail" like so many others have!

I recommend that no one update to Windows 10 unless they have everything backed up and ready to restore.  You will lose most of your programs you have been using because they will not work with W10.  You are probably BETTER OFF if you do NOT let your computer update - just later on get a new computer that has W10 on it.

It has cost me $125 money wise, and hours on hours of my time - and will still cost me hours on hours.

Edited by Rosalie4u

I let my lap top update to Windows 10 (it kept bugging me constantly and I finally "gave in") and it completely lost my documents, pictures, my email, my Microsoft Excel and Word, etc.  It left a few programs on there.  I went to their help "on-line" and let them take control of my computer and even they could not find my documents, excel spreadsheets or pictures or any of that.  I tried to do a "restore" - the W10 does not recognize the earlier program that has a restore point!  They wanted me to do it again (I checked to "save files") and then I was left with a black screen and the Recycle "Trash Can" and nothing else.

I am a Realtor so that would mean I lost all my contracts, photos on houses, visual tours, etc.  So I was pretty upset.  Took it to the hospital - they were able to put an earlier Windows on it (7 I believe) and tried to save my files.  Cost me $125.  I have found my excel files but have not found my Word files.  I lost all my "favorites" and have had to slowly add them back - I was having to find my passwords and everything.  It will be a slow re-build - I have had to reinstall programs such as Microsoft Office (Excel/Word/Picture Mgr), Visual Tour, Quickbooks, HP printer, Adobe Acrobat (for saving and emailing documents and contracts), my photo program, etc.

My computer guy says my email program does not work with W10 so it is completely gone and so I have to figure something else out on an email program (for my business).  I hate the "web mail" program that our server uses and I have not been able to restore Windows "Live Mail" that I was using.  Seems to have some sort of glitch in it and will not let me load my email info for some odd reason.  He says the data is there - I just have to find it and may not ever be able to.  Probably have to reinstall hundreds of email addresses again as soon as I find a good program for that.  I may have to go to "gmail" like so many others have!

I recommend that no one update to Windows 10 unless they have everything backed up and ready to restore.  You will lose most of your programs you have been using because they will not work with W10.  You are probably BETTER OFF if you do NOT let your computer update - just later on get a new computer that has W10 on it.

It has cost me $125 money wise, and hours on hours of my time - and will still cost me hours on hours.

I am sorry you had such an experience with your update - however, to make a "blanket statement" that "You will lose most of your programs you have been using" is not correct. I, personally did not lose any of my files, documents, spreadsheets or programs when I upgraded from 7 to 10 and my brother had a smooth upgrade from 8.1 to 10.

Al least you did say "probably"  in that following sentence.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I am sorry you had such an experience with your update - however, to make a "blanket statement" that "You will lose most of your programs you have been using" is not correct. I, personally did not lose any of my files, documents, spreadsheets or programs when I upgraded from 7 to 10 and my brother had a smooth upgrade from 8.1 to 10.

Al least you did say "probably"  in that following sentence.

So did I.

I did lose some minor programs, but not anything I use regularly.

I lost no files, WORD, PDF, Office, Downloads, pictures or CAD . Those programs stayed in place.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I'm preparing to make the upgrade. Got to do a back up first. That in itself is going to be a time-consuming process. I'll be parked at this computer next two days..

Just going to hope that it all works...

I should just buy a Mac and be done with the headaches but, they are so pricey!