JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sodom and Gomorrah

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3025 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Sodom and Gomorrah.

Why were those cities and their inhabitants destroyed? The apostle Peter mentions indulgence in “loose conduct.” (2 Peter 2:7) As indicated by the use of the Greek term from which that expression is translated, the people of Sodom and Gomorrah indulged in wrongdoing in a manner that displayed brazen disrespect, even contempt, for law and authority. Jude 7 says that they ‘committed fornication excessively and went out after flesh for unnatural use.’ The grossness of their conduct was manifest when the men of Sodom, “from boy to old man, all the people in one mob,” surrounded the house of Lot and demanded that he turn over his guests for the men of Sodom to gratify their perverted appetites. And they shouted denunciations at Lot because he resisted their depraved demands.—Genesis 13:13; 19:4, 5, 9. W90 4/15

Do we see mob sexual assaults today ?

Do we see collective harassment ?

Headlines below answers these questions

‘Taharrush gamea’ comes to Germany? Police fear Cologne sex abuse may be imported practice

German police fear repeats of the Cologne New Year’s Eve sexual assaults, saying extra attention will now be paid to fighting similar attacks. Police used the Arab term ‘taharrush gamea’ (collective harassment) to categorize the assaults – causing an angry reaction on Twitter.

The Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA), the main investigative authority in Germany, said in a response to Welt newspaper it knows sexual harassment of women in public is widespread in Arab countries, and that this is exactly what happened on New Year’s Eve in Cologne. Collective harassment is translated as “taharrush gamea” (حرش جماعي).

"Such crimes are committed by groups of young men… mostly when there are large gatherings of people, such as demonstrations. They range from sexual harassment to rape," the BKA told Welt.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

It's good to remember that it's a world-wide sign.  Just because it doesn't seem to be happening in our country doesn't mean it isn't happening somewhere else.   When you look at the entire world, it's clear humanity is definitely as bad as ancient Sodom and Gomorrah. 

We also need to keep in mind that Sodom and Gomorra wasn't 100% anarchy, violence and chaos.  There must have been some appealing qualities to the city.  Lot chose to live there.  Lot's wife looked back at the city with longing.  There may well have been art, music, friendly people and so forth.  

Just like today.

Sodom and Gomorrha was the first thing I thought of when I read about what happened in Cologne. But it wasn't the first time I'd heard of the Egyptian gang-rape epidemic.

Many of my former, worldly friends and colleagues think this is somehow an islamic problem, and in a certain way it probably is, since ancient muslim armies did, not seldomly in the past, enslave women for sexual purposes and generally the islamic culture is not exactly favorable of women in society. But I did extensive research trying to figure out if there ever was a historic precedent for such brutal gang-rapes that have been taking place lately in Cairo and I could not find anything. It really does seem like this problem to this extent is something totally new to our life-time.

What bothers me though is that I personally don't care what sexual deviations people come up with as long as I am not confronted with it. Jehovah never took awaay human's free will to do even what is wrong, even the perfect couple was allowed to choose to do wrong on their own initiative. Rape is all about taking away the victim's right to choose and forcing your own will upon the other person. Rape grinds my gears in a way most of you will probably never understand, I know the brothers in my congregation don't. So yeah, if people decide to have homosexual intercourse, it's "their problem", but rape is also "my problem".

About the angels in Sodom I sometimes wonder if the attempted assault was more than just a large group of people wanting to force two good-looking men to have intercourse with them. Maybe it was clear to the people that these were angels and emissaries of the Most High. Maybe Jehovah had sent prophets in advance to warn them, prophets whom they will obviously not have listened to but mistreated. So I am thinking maybe they knew full well who they were dealing with, sort of like proud Pharaoh who stubbornly continued to oppose Jehovah.

We all need to be aware, not scared, but aware of our surroundings and be careful even though they probably had no signs that the situation would have been so bad at that time, now that we know large crowds of men might not be a place us sisters would want to just walk into in the future. It's very sad and disgusting to me that these men could not control themselves and that such a large number of them worked together to harm another human is over the top in my mind.

Sodom and Gomorrah.

Why were those cities and their inhabitants destroyed? The apostle Peter mentions indulgence in “loose conduct.” (2 Peter 2:7) As indicated by the use of the Greek term from which that expression is translated, the people of Sodom and Gomorrah indulged in wrongdoing in a manner that displayed brazen disrespect, even contempt, for law and authority. Jude 7 says that they ‘committed fornication excessively and went out after flesh for unnatural use.’ The grossness of their conduct was manifest when the men of Sodom, “from boy to old man, all the people in one mob,” surrounded the house of Lot and demanded that he turn over his guests for the men of Sodom to gratify their perverted appetites. And they shouted denunciations at Lot because he resisted their depraved demands.—Genesis 13:13; 19:4, 5, 9. W90 4/15

Do we see mob sexual assaults today ?

Do we see collective harassment ?

Headlines below answers these questions

‘Taharrush gamea’ comes to Germany? Police fear Cologne sex abuse may be imported practice

German police fear repeats of the Cologne New Year’s Eve sexual assaults, saying extra attention will now be paid to fighting similar attacks. Police used the Arab term ‘taharrush gamea’ (collective harassment) to categorize the assaults – causing an angry reaction on Twitter.

The Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA), the main investigative authority in Germany, said in a response to Welt newspaper it knows sexual harassment of women in public is widespread in Arab countries, and that this is exactly what happened on New Year’s Eve in Cologne. Collective harassment is translated as “taharrush gamea” (حرش جماعي).

Read more5692c9d8c46188c47d8b457b.jpgPolice register over 500 cases in Cologne’s ‘planned’ assaults on NYE

"Such crimes are committed by groups of young men… mostly when there are large gatherings of people, such as demonstrations. They range from sexual harassment to rape," the BKA told Welt.

Sounds like the atrocities during Arab Spring demonstrations... Large crowds used as "opportunity" to be deviate, to repress women.