JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

In praise of slowness

An interesting reading...To be done slowly and tasting each word written, one by one...

And now I'm just gonna look through my window and think about it, while I picture the movement of time slowly passing by...

Now all my haste is emptied

...We have forgotten how to look forward to things, and how to enjoy the moment when they arrive. Restaurants report that hurried diners increasingly pay the bill and order a taxi while eating dessert. Many fans leave sporting events early, no matter how close the score is, simply to steal a march on the traffic. Then there is the curse of multi-tasking. Doing two things at once seems so clever, so efficient, so modern. And yet what it often means is doing two things not very well. Like many people, I read the paper while watching TV— and find that I get less out of both.

In this media-drenched, data-rich, channel-surfing, computer-gaming age, we have lost the art of doing nothing, of shutting out the background noise and distractions, of slowing down and simply being alone with our thoughts. Boredom— the word itself hardly existed 150 years ago— is a modern invention. Remove all stimulation, and we fidget, panic and look for something, anything, to do to make use of the time. When did you last see someone just gazing out the window on a train? Everyone is too busy reading the paper, playing video games, listening to iPods, working on the laptop, yammering into mobile phones.

Instead of thinking deeply, or letting an idea simmer in the back of the mind, our instinct now is to reach for the nearest sound bite. In modern warfare, correspondents in the field and pundits in the studio spew out instant analyses of events as they occur. Often their insights turn out to be wrong. But that hardly matters nowadays: in the land of speed, the man with the instant response is king. With satellite feeds and twenty-four-hour news channels, the electronic media is dominated by what one French sociologist dubbed “le fast thinker”— a person who can, without skipping a beat, summon up a glib answer to any question.

In a way, we are all fast thinkers now. Our impatience is so implacable that, as actress-author Carrie Fisher quipped, even “instant gratification takes too long.” This partly explains the chronic frustration that bubbles just below the surface of modern life. Anyone or anything that steps in our way, that slows us down, that stops us from getting exactly what we want when we want it, becomes the enemy. So the smallest setback, the slightest delay, the merest whiff of slowness, can now provoke vein-popping fury in otherwise ordinary people...

https://www.farnamstreetblog.com/2015/08/in-praise-of-slowness/

I've thought about this article all day since reading it at 2 this morning! :o

I had written a comment but erased it because well, it was 2 and I was rambling on. But I thought this was a super good article, I really did read it and appreciate it. And I agree with it. Our fast paced life rarely lets us feel good about just sitting while we keep working let alone take time to sit and actually READ and digest. I guess this is what I'd consider meditating. 

Thanks for this Joao

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34