JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A New "Bombshell" Study Shows Our Brains Are ...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3008 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I thought that many here on JWtalk would appreciate hearing about this new study.  Apparently Scientists are continually being surprised or even shocked at the capability of the Brain.  Maybe some of these scientists will conclude that the marvelous design, capability and engineering of the brain must have a "Designer".

'Bombshell' Study Shows Our Brains Are Even More Awesome Than We Knew

The human brain's memory capacity has been shown to be 10 times greater than previous research had suggested.

In a finding they're calling a "real bombshell in the field of neuroscience," researchers have uncovered evidence that the human brain's memory capacity is an order of magnitude greater than previously thought.

"Our new measurements of the brain's memory capacity increase conservative estimates by a factor of 10 to at least a petabyte," Dr. Terry Sejnowski, a professor at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California, and co-senior author of a paper describing the research, said in a written statement.

In other words, the human brain may be able to store one petabyte of data, which is 1 quadrillion bytes. That's enough memory to store 13.3 years of high-definition video.

Having more "bits" per synapse is a little like a high-definition TV having more bits per pixel than a conventional TV, Sejnowski said, adding that, "We think the brain is high-resolution now."

Or, offering up another metaphor, he said, "We have to think of the brain not as an old grandfather clock but as a high-precision watch."

Some scientists think that the human brain is capable of storing even more information. The brain's true memory capacity may be even greater -- as much as 3 to 5 petabytes, Dr. Paul Reber, director of the Brain, Behavior, & Cognition program in the psychology department at Northwestern University, told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Here is the link for this article: (there is also a cool video showing how "Synapses" work in the brain)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brain-capacity-study_us_56a1a50be4b0404eb8f11d63?

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Too bad they couldn't put those petabytes in a bottle.  Maybe guzzling a few gallons of that stuff would help me to remember where I put my car keys?^_^

The New System can't come quick enough. NoMonkey.gif.e291dfedb0cc71a75f49219e662

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Too bad they couldn't put those petabytes in a bottle.  Maybe guzzling a few gallons of that stuff would help me to remember where I put my car keys?

The New System can't come quick enough. NoMonkey.gif.e291dfedb0cc71a75f49219e66248bdd.gif

Can't wait to see how much data we will be able to hold in our brains? We will chuckle over petabytes!