JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Go Bag Readiness Reminder

14 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

In reference to post #19: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102006205

I can't help but wonder if this horrible experience of the friends in Louisiana back then (2005) compelled the Branch to begin recommending go-bags/emergency kits? 

More than likely as the letter on the topic was released in 2006.

---------------------------

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Our congregation had a 15-minute local needs part this past week taken from the August 2017 No. 5 Awake.  The brother emphasized more than a couple times that we must be prepared and that this comes directly from the FDS.  And this has me wondering...

This information regarding our emergency preparedness; are they simply suggestions?  or should we adhere to what the Branch is saying and "get it done?"  Because I personally know several friends who are basically saying: "Well, that doesn't apply to me." Or "I'm in no rush!

There are more natural disasters in more parts of the world than ever, the brothers even had a video showing how much money is being spent on Disaster Relief. Anyone that doesn't think they will eventually be affected by a natural disaster isn't paying attention to bible prophecy. GET IT DONE.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

There are more natural disasters in more parts of the world than ever, the brothers even had a video showing how much money is being spent on Disaster Relief. Anyone that doesn't think they will eventually be affected by a natural disaster isn't paying attention to bible prophecy. GET IT DONE.

I have to admit although I completely went overboard in 2010 before I started studying the Bible, even buying stuff like crazy including personal defence items and non-perishable food stockpiles expecting a large-scale economic crash and anarchy, I have sort of fallen asleep the past years. All the meds in the bag and the food is out of date. I bought new stuff, but I just don't get around to actually doing the work of exchanging it.

• 3 months later...

This article, recently posted on jw.org, mentioned the earthquake in Albania but what caught my eye was this excerpt:

One elder explained how being prepared for disasters helped his family. "The minute the earthquake struck, we immediately grabbed our 'go bags' and ran out of the house.  We were able to use important items stored in our bags:  blankets, water, medicine, and food.  We thank Jehovah and the Governing Body for the love and care they show us."

It is a safe assumption that all congregations have been given this directive to have an emergency plan and an emergency kit on hand.  I echo this brothers sentiment when he mentioned how Jehovah and the Governing Body does indeed care for us!

Although I'm still a bit perplexed why I can't keep chocolate bars in my bag for some reason!

• 1 year later...

The severe snowstorm in Texas has recently got me thinking, not so much as a go-bag but, a having a "bug-in" bag or checklist of essentials should a disaster forces people to stay home. (i.e. power outtages, etc.) Does anyone here have that as well?  Are there any friends here from Texas who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences in how they coped while the grid was down?

I admit that would have been a serious challenge, especially with children in the home.

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, Tronora said:

My go bag (a rucksack) is incomplete. This reminder-thread ... eh ... reminded me

Mine is almost ready....

Cat Thanks GIF by Thank You Coffee

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 hours ago, Sheep said:

Mine is a work in progress. I don't believe I'll ever stop of thinking of other things that should be in there.

Same here, I keep changing things and improving 

Now I got those good quality socks (resistance to moisture, merino wool etc) 

I am not sure why I need socks in my go bag? :facepalmpo2:

But to feed "go bag improvement" addiction I have to find something LOL 🤣

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

This is the reason why we need our Go Bag ready "yesterday" 

Storm damage is seen in Selma, Alabama, on January 12, 2023.

Lots of tornados reported, severe wind, large hail..etc

230112134744-07-southeast-storms-0112-selma.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We are experiencing bit hot temperatures, therefore I added some of sun protection gear to my bag.

The hat is so light and easily foldable, and does not add to the bulkiness of the bag, but yet will protect me in case of heatwave.  

https://www.anacondastores.com/clothing/clothing-accessories/hats/cederberg-mens-legends-hat/BP90154583-navy

I realize that this thread is several years old and there may be other similar threads but I'm hoping that posting on here will bring it to the top.

I am ashamed to admit that I have not been good about getting my go bag ready. When it was first mentioned, many thought of it as their GT bag and way over did it - packing as if they were going to have to rough it in the woods alone for an extended period of time - camping stoves, tents, etc. That overwhelmed me and considering where I live, I find that prospect highly unlikely. I'm hoping that I now have a better understanding of the purpose.

I'm actually looking at packing 3 different "bags" - 1. a stay home and hunker down box in the event of an extensive power outage/grid down situation, 2. a go bag with clothes, personal hygiene supplies etc in case we have to evacuate to someone elses home or a shelter 3. a get home bag to keep in my car.  I am trying the make a list of what is needed in each one and would love everyone's input. Tell me what type things you would put in 1., 2., 3. That being said, I realize that we all live in different areas and situations so our go-bags are all going to look a bit different but every little bit helps.

Hopefully sharing our ideas will help us think of things we may have forgotten or never thought about and inspire us all to get prepared and help us.

• 6 months later...