JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquake rocks the US east coast:eek:

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4624 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Earthquake

This thing was felt for some distance. So far I've read news from New York, Boston, Connecticut, Virgina, D.C., Michigan, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Kentucky, Ohio, Toronto Canada, and more!!!

Here's another link showing that the Pentagon was evacuated:

Pentagon Evacuated

This is likely the largest earthquake to EVER hit the area. And they are concerned that this may have only been a FORE SHOCK!

Interested times we live in.

I just came across the USGS website. The quake mentioned above was centered in Virginia. But interestingly there was another in Colorado! And there was a third recorded today in India.

USGS Website

Its being reported on now in the UK...

Earthquake strikes US east coast

Workers evacuated from their offices gathered in the Washington streets

A magnitude-5.9 earthquake has rattled the east coast of the United States.

The quake was felt in Washington, where the Pentagon and US Capitol building were evacuated, as well as in New York.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14634730

Earthquake

This thing was felt for some distance. So far I've read news from New York, Boston, Connecticut, Virgina, D.C., Michigan, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Kentucky, Ohio, Toronto Canada, and more!!!

Pentagon Evacuated

This is likely the largest earthquake to EVER hit the area. And they are concerned that this may have only been a FORE SHOCK!

I just came across the USGS website. The quake mentioned above was centered in Virginia. But interestingly there was another in Colorado! And there was a third recorded today in India.

USGS Website

"This is likely the largest earthquake to EVER hit the area."

Now this part of what you said is especially significant. One of our last Watchtowers "6 Bible Prophecies You Are Seeing Be Fulfilled" says something interesting about that.

Consider this fact: The Bible does not emphasize the number of earthquakes during the last days. However, It does say that “great earthquakes” will occur “in one place after another,” making then one of the notable features of this momentous period of history.

I thought this was so true, because we've always had earthquakes and that doesn't seem to be a shocker to me, but it does say "GREAT" earthquakes and that's true according to history. If you look online for graphs that show the severity of earthquakes in the past 10 or 20 years we can clearly see how "great" they've actually gotten! It's amazing really.

I felt it. Desk wobbled left and right and my chair shook for several seconds. Strongest quake I've ever felt.

The previous quake I felt was about 9 years ago. I was napping in my car during lunch and thought it was a heavy construction truck passing by. When I returned to work they asked if I felt the earthquake.

I was in the 13th floor of my apartment and the experience is really terrifying.:(

I am in Montreal BTW. Here is the news link Montreal Local news report

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

Earthquake

Pentagon Evacuated

USGS Website

Hmmmm. I live in southwestern Connecticut and I didn't feel a thing. Yet Boston and New York felt it? :S

No place is a safe one to live in these last days! How true that the bible describes a shaking of the nations, not just figuratively now!!!

Several years ago there was a rumble in my area of central Florida. The brothers at the Plant City Assembly Hall felt the movement. It was in the Gulf of Mexico 200 miles from land. So we do not have to be on a fault line at all to feel something happen! Scary!! :ohmy:

Interesting Point... The 5.8 earthquake in Virginia that was felt in New York and Washington D.C. was so widespread because the tremors were shallow at between one and four miles deep. Tuesday was a typical day for earthquakes in the U.S. in terms of numbers of tremors – but such a big earthquake on the east coast was very unusual. A small earthquake shook the San Francisco Bay area as well last night, striking at 11:36pm local time and centred six miles from Oakland. ‘It was a strange day,’ Rafael Abreu, of the U.S. Geological Survey, told the Los Angeles Times. ‘But Mother Nature teaches us something new every single day.’

47331=2262-article-2029320-0D8C51AE00000 www.dailymail.co.uk

Well, I was born and raised in Southern California....

5.8.?..........:o:sleeping:

probably wouldnt even notice it...

I was 25 miles from the Landers 7.2 ....we were setting steel that day and I was walking I-beams 20 foot in the air when some of the 6.5 and smaller aftershocks went rumbling through...You could see the San Andreas fault line from our job site...It was kinda neat, watching the dust puffs shoot up out of the ground...

msnbc.com news services

updated 2 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. — A 4.5-magnitude earthquake that rattled the Washington, D.C.-area early Thursday was at least the fifth aftershock in the wake of the strongest temblor to strike the East Coast since World War II .

....Tuesday's 5.8-magnitude earthquake, with an epicenter in central Virginia, shook people from Georgia to Canada.

You can sign up and be notified of earthquakes as soon as they happen.:chinese:

https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/

Here's another real time seismic monitor we have kept an eye on (with a desktop icon) for a few years:

http://www.iris.edu/dms/seismon.htm

Which program did you download to put it on your desktop?

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.