JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Egyptair flight headed to Cairo from Paris disappears from radar - The Washington Post

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2893 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Being on a "watchlist of potential extremists" would make it very difficult when applying for jobs that require high security, one would expect. In a country like France you would think they would have checked this avenue thoroughly. Or did they? Humans cannot foresee and plan for every contingency, but if this has been overlooked because of not thoroughly checking credentials, it is another vindication of the scripture "it does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step" - Jer 10:23

25 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

Again I'm not talking about fairness or accuracy.

Fair enough. Your earlier comment about 'potential for suspicion' seemed to imply that there was some level of genuine concern.

Stavro, Its ok I know. :) I only focused on the word potential as that was the word used in the article which from their point of view did imply some level of concern. "..were on a watchlist of potential extremists."

tekmantwo I understand why you quoted the article. No problem. >:D<

3 hours ago, Old said:

'Potential' can be as simple as your name, where you were born, or where you got your education. Potential is basically limitless and useless as skin color for identifying radical individuals.

That may be true in some other context, but not in this case. It's not just that they have the wrong name or skin color. Unfortunately the whole original article cannot be read without a subscription, but it explained the kind of factors that caused some employes to have their passes withdrawn last November after the Paris attacks (that doesn't mean that they were fired, just moved to less sensitive workplaces in the airport):

It was ordered to check all Muslims with airside security passes in airports. Radicals were to be weeded out. More than 60 passes were withdrawn for "inappropriate behaviour", such as a refusal to trim a beard or to shake hands with female colleagues. Some employees had their passes withdrawn for praying in Salafist mosques, others because a copy of the Koran was found in their lockers. Some were said to have expressed support for the jihadists who killed 130 people in Paris six months ago.

That's about last November investigation. Now regarding the terror watchlist kept by the French intelligence agency, it mainly contains people who attend regularly Salafist ultraconservative mosques. I would agree that if you regularly attend religious services where jihad and hate against non-Muslims are preached, it's probably a good idea to keep you as far as possible from planes.

Edited by carlos

1 hour ago, Stavro said:

I am on the federal watchlist and no-fly list, because my grandfather who shares my name (and died in the 1990s) was a suspect for a terrorist-motivated murder in the late 60s.

Hopefully TSA can rectify the watchlist coincidence from the 90's. How do you get around not being able to fly ? Sure makes for some long bus rides and boat trips. Come to think of it Stavro does sound just a little suspicious !   :D