JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Philistines Phound! ;)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2806 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are a nice set!  In another article I read that the teeth, as nice as they are, showed they did not have an easy life.

"In their teeth, we can see that they did not have an easy life," she said, holding up a skull.

"We see these lines that indicate a growth interruption as the teeth are forming. There were problems in childhood with either fever or malnutrition.

The find shows that " they were "normal size" with no evidence of any Goliath-sized giants. "  But not everyone who was a Philistine was a giant or had 6 fingers!  These were the exception.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-11/old-bones-cast-new-light-on-goliath-people/7584904

This article from the Harvard Gazette is also interesting http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/07/in-long-hidden-bones-a-first-glimpse-of-philistine-lives/

“We are getting a sense of people who suffered malnutrition at youth and we see that in their teeth,” said Master. “We are getting a sense for some of the things that they experienced in their life, on a very personal level, their medical history, as it were, that we can’t get from looking at the houses or the pottery or the bread ovens that they left behind.”

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Yes, they are a nice set!  In another article I read that the teeth, as nice as they are, showed they did not have an easy life.

"In their teeth, we can see that they did not have an easy life," she said, holding up a skull.

"We see these lines that indicate a growth interruption as the teeth are forming. There were problems in childhood with either fever or malnutrition.

The find shows that " they were "normal size" with no evidence of any Goliath-sized giants. "  But not everyone who was a Philistine was a giant or had 6 fingers!  These were the exception.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-11/old-bones-cast-new-light-on-goliath-people/7584904

This article from the Harvard Gazette is also interesting http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/07/in-long-hidden-bones-a-first-glimpse-of-philistine-lives/

“We are getting a sense of people who suffered malnutrition at youth and we see that in their teeth,” said Master. “We are getting a sense for some of the things that they experienced in their life, on a very personal level, their medical history, as it were, that we can’t get from looking at the houses or the pottery or the bread ovens that they left behind.”

Goliath was not a Philistine.  He was a mercenary to the Philistine army but was a Rephaim.

*** it-1 p. 984 Goliath ***
Goliath was one of the Rephaim; he may have been a mercenary soldier with the Philistine army.—1Ch 20:5, 8; see REPHAIM.

1 hour ago, Witness1970 said:

Goliath was one of the Rephaim; he may have been a mercenary soldier with the Philistine army.

Thanks for the clarification Randall, I hadn't realised that.  And yet, I was quoting from the news article.  Seems people do generally think Goliath was a Philistine.

Just now, hatcheckgirl said:

Thanks for the clarification Randall, I hadn't realised that.  And yet, I was quoting from the news article.  Seems people do generally think Goliath was a Philistine.

Agreed, I wonder how many times I've heard Goliath called a Philistine and I never questioned it...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D