JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

For those in California - Please read

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2755 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I came across this information that I felt you brothers/sisters living in California should be made aware of in case you haven't heard anything about this.

Here is part of the article and I will give a link to the entire article as well.  The 2nd article/link seems to not be as dramatic, but still there is concern.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California's chances of having a magnitude-7 or greater earthquake in the next couple days just skyrocketed

September 30, 2016

A cluster of more than 200 small earthquakes beneath the Salton Sea in Southern California earlier this week has scientists waiting to see if the slumbering San Andreas fault nearby could be the next to move. The U.S. Geological Survey estimates that following the quake swarm at the Salton Sea on Monday and Tuesday, the likelihood of a magnitude-7 or greater earthquake being triggered is as high as 1 in 100 over the next seven days, though the odds will lower as time goes on.

But for now, local seismologists might feel their hearts racing. "When there's significant seismicity in this area of the fault, we kind of wonder if [the San Andreas] is somehow going to go active," Caltech seismologist Egill Haukssontold the Los Angeles Times. "So maybe one of those small earthquakes that's happening in the neighborhood of the fault is going to trigger it, and set off the big event."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/652311/californias-chances-having-magnitude7-greater-earthquake-next-couple-days-just-skyrocketed

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-quake-swarm26-2009mar26-story.html

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

7 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I came across this information that I felt you brothers/sisters living in California should be made aware of 

California's chances of having a magnitude-7 or greater earthquake in the next couple days just skyrocketed

September 30, 2016

7 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

A cluster of more than 200 small earthquakes beneath the Salton Sea in Southern California

Thanks for the heads up.  Having grown up in So California we are a little bit complacent at times. You hear dire warnings about impending death and destruction and after a few days you see that it was just business as usual. 

(I  know,  did it on purpose )

You ride out so many that they aren't really scary anymore,  they are just an experience and you laugh and go about your day. Unless it's a 5.0 or biggest it isn't hardly even noticed. 

I was living in Desert Hot Springs when the 7.2 Landers quake hit. Thats about 30 miles from where I lived. It was quite the ride...

The fault line, the San Andreas fault, actually went right through one of my neighbors house, about 3 houses away. It split his house in two, one side winding up being about 3 inches lower and a couple of inches away from the other side. 

I've mentioned this before,  I was setting steel that week, we would get aftershocks when I was walking beams. Walk on steel 6 inches wide, 20 foot in the air, and have it whip out from under your feet without an warning. .

That's a little excitement in an otherwise boring day....

I hope nothing comes of this latest warning,  and if it does, that no one gets hurt or there is much damage done...

We need the New System,  and the planet Earth does too...

28 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Having grown up in So California we are a little bit complacent at times.

Remember the big one in 71?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I do...

Pretty much rattled me out of bed if I remember correctly. ..

Yeah, you blamed me...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Cherie said:

I remember! It was early, just before I left for work. My roommate came running out of her room and flung herself into my arms! Hahaha!! We watched the trees sway from our second story apt.

I think it was around 06:00. 

Ground zero at the Northridge quake. That was a wake up call. Magnificent experience, but so sad for the deaths. One of those apartments that collasped on to the parking level was 4 blocks from us.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I was working at a small oil refinery in the Bay area during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, it was pretty scary watching all of the equipment swaying like trees...

36 minutes ago, Musky said:

That was the "Sylmar" quake if I remember correctly.

I was in Yucca Valley at the time of the Landers quake. I had a pet store with almost 300 aquariums at the time. The operative word is "had"

Sounds a little fishy to me...

1 hour ago, Old said:

Ground zero at the Northridge quake. That was a wake up call. Magnificent experience, but so sad for the deaths. One of those apartments that collasped on to the parking level was 4 blocks from us.

Wow...

My pops was working as a building inspector for L.A. County then. He had to condemn a lot of places.  It kinda tore him up inside,  making people stay out of their homes,  or leave. He saw things that they didn't understand and they got pretty upset at him for doing his job, trying to save their lives...

He told me about a large chimney stack that was leaning in towards the building,  a single piece of #5 rebar was all he could see holding it. If it fell, it would have killed folks..

1 hour ago, Musky said:

That was the "Sylmar" quake if I remember correctly.

I was in Yucca Valley at the time of the Landers quake. I had a pet store with almost 300 aquariums at the time. The operative word is "had"

Small world. .

Living in DHS I went through Morongo and Yucca quite a few times, heading out to 29..could be we passed each other at some point.  I had a buddy in Morongo that had a fair sized salt water tank, you may have sold him stuff. Well, before the quake,  that is..

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I was working at a small oil refinery in the Bay area during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, it was pretty scary watching all of the equipment swaying like trees...

I was on a dirt spread in Elsinore.  I remember hearing about it on the radio. Most of us mechanics were listening to the ball game and we got on the company 2way chatting back and forth till the main yard told us to shut up..:shutup: